Guarantee Vs. Choosing Cabin

CruiserPK

Please help! I have only taken two cruises (third to be in several weeks on the RSSC Voyager from Dover to monte Carlo). We have used a T/A and always chose our actual cbin. Is there an advantage to booking a guarantee? All answers appreciated

We always book a guarantee cabin. That way we get the best price and we like to cruise often. What it means is they guarantee that you will get at least the category cabin that you paid for, but in most cases we have been upgraded. The reason for this is that they can continue to attract customers by advertising their lowest rate. Often there are cabins left in a higher category and they will bump you up. We have never been disappointed.

That being said, we booked an expensive cruise for next summer for Europe as we wanted to be sure that we had the cabin we selected so we paid for it.

On Radisson I would take the guarantee as we would be happy with any cabin in the cat we book and you are very likely to be upgraded. We were new to Radisson, booked a G cat on the Navigator and were upgraded to a D cat (Window to Balcony) on a higher deck.

I tried to get a guarantee for this year's sailing but none were available in the cat we selected. A marketing manager in the main office explained to me that Radisson has better software this year to manage supply and demand and have not been offering as many guarantee's and when they do, not for very long. So this opportunity could vanish at any time.

Just a personal preference, but I like to be low and in the middle (ergo, lower category) of the ship rather than further up and/or forward in a "higher category" cabin because I can get seasick. Most of the activities are on the lower levels of the ship. Unless, however, the Pool Deck is a priority with you.

Archived