Bringing your own drinks?

AandBmom

What is officially allowed on NCL? Can you bring wine? If so, is it per person, or per cabin? Do you bring it in your carry on and just show them? Are they strict about size and number of people in your cabin? Do you pay anything to consume it in your room? Do they actually charge the corkage fee in the dining room?

Can you bring your own soda?

How do they check for other items? I know that Carnival and RCL do random luggage scans and on Carnival if they find something they hold it until the end of the cruise and give you a note advising of such in your luggage. I believe RCL is similar.

From the NCL FAQ's:

Can I bringing alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

From the NCL FAQ's:

Can I bringing alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Ok so that's the official rule, but it's not really clear. How much wine can you bring? Do you only get charged the fee if opened in public or do you pay it when you bring it on? Also, do they actually charge the corkage fee b/c I know on other lines they often advertise it but not charge it.

Also what is their process for detecting alcohol being brought on board?

Ok so that's the official rule, but it's not really clear. How much wine can you bring? Do you only get charged the fee if opened in public or do you pay it when you bring it on? Also, do they actually charge the corkage fee b/c I know on other lines they often advertise it but not charge it.

You can bring on as much wine as you want. If you carry it on (most probably do this), you stop at a desk just past security at the terminal. The security guys are supposed to notice the bottles and direct you to the table. They write up a ticket noting the number/size of bottles and the charge is added to your onboard account. You pay for each and every bottle you bring on. They put a sticker on each bottle to indicate it has been paid for. You can open it anywhere. You can drink it anywhere. They DO actually charge the corkage fee unless for some reason they are not staffing the table when you pass by. I have seen this once, but most of the time it is staffed. If you try to bring the bottles on in your packed luggage, they will likely find it when they scan luggage. If this happens, they will keep the luggage and call you to a room to claim it and sign the paperwork to pay the corkage fee. If they don't catch it, you are lucky. If you try to sneak on bottles other than wine and they catch it, they will keep them until the end of the cruise for you.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

You can bring on as much as you want, but you are charged $15 per 750ml bottle as you board. It doesn't matter where you drink it.

They scan bags as you board. Sometimes people get lucky and don't get charged, but usually you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can bring on as much as you want, but you are charged $15 per 750ml bottle as you board. It doesn't matter where you drink it.

They scan bags as you board. Sometimes people get lucky and don't get charged, but usually you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you bring your own luggage on board or give it to a porter? When do they scan your large luggage?

You would bring wine on board as part of your carryon. It would get scanned and detected in your prescence. If you put in checked luggage it willbe detected during the xray scan and your bag would be sent to the naughty room to be opened in your prescence.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

You would bring wine on board as part of your carryon. It would get scanned and detected in your prescence. If you put in checked luggage it willbe detected during the xray scan and your bag would be sent to the naughty room to be opened in your prescence.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

Yes. Don't put it in your checked luggage.

I did not see anyone answer your question about soda. You can bring on all the soda, juice, mixers you want. No charge. You can carry it on yourself , or just affix a luggage tag and check it with your bags and it will be delivered to your room.

Lots of people pre order a bottle of liquor from the ship ( you get a few cans of mixers with the bottle ) and bring on their own extra mixers to make drinks in their cabins. You can take the drinks anywhere on the ship. The bottles are expensive, but those who have figured it out by the pour say it is much cheaper than buying drinks on the ship.

We usually bring soda and have to go to the naughty room to get our suitcase! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And that is why many people put it in a roll aboard - carry on bag. Deal with it right there. They you either check your bag in a room they have, or roll it to the MDR for lunch, then to your cabin.

(anybody wonder why start new threads about the same topic that was just discussed the same day?)

Still wondering this?

And do they randomly scan or scan every bag?

Yes, they surely scan every bag at carryon. Apparently they scan most if not all bags that are checked as people report here daily about having to visit the "naughty room" to get their bags back after the "contraband" has been removed.

Do you bring your own luggage on board or give it to a porter? When do they scan your large luggage?

Larger luggage is left with a porter when you arrive at the pier. The cruise line will scan it before it arrives on the ship, looking for security and rule violations.

Smaller "carryon" luggage (it must fit thru a security scanner at checkin that is similar in size to that in an airport) will be scanned (every bag, not just random ones) as you enter the check-in area.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Is there a shop on board where you can buy wine or spirits to drink in your cabin?

Yes, there is a shop that sells spirits, but not wine. But, you can NOT take it back to your cabin. You can buy wine at any bar at the "marked up" price and drink it anywhere you want.

Yes, there is a shop that sells spirits, but not wine. But, you can NOT take it back to your cabin. You can buy wine at any bar at the "marked up" price and drink it anywhere you want.

You can also buy alcohol on board by the bottle from the bars. Same inflated price as ordering ahead of time.