Contact lenses vs. glasses

azfirstcruise

I have a possibly silly question. We're going to be doing a lot of snorkeling during our excursions and I can't decide how to deal with the contact lenses vs. glasses situation. Usually when I swim, I wear neither, but I don't see much without some sort of correction. So do you wear your contacts and just hope they don't accidentally get exposed in the water and float away? It's cumbersome to carry glasses and contact solution, etc... everywhere I go. I'm just wondering what everyone else does.

Well it is also my first cruise and I just recently got contacts which I specifically got for the cruise. I could not imagine wearing my glasses all day being hot and sweaty and on a beach. I really think contacts are the way to go. I'd bring a pair of cheap goggles to wear so this way when you put your face in the water you eyes don't get wet. Just my suggestion hope it helps

Haven't either of you heard of correction goggles? We have an athletic club here and I've bought 2 pairs from them. They let you open the cases to see which is closest to your prescription. After years of being almost blind in the water these were a godsend. Find out your prescription (mine is -5) and then look online. I'd be willing to bet they sell them somewhere. My brother said he's bought a correction mask for snorkling. They do exist! Good luck. Hope you find these invaluable items.

-Joanne

I have wore contacts for 17 years. I wear them in the shower, in the water, at the beach... I have snorkeled with them in. It's not as though you are going to OPEN your eyes underwater while you are snorkeling without a mask. If you are just swimming, wear goggles with your contacts in. I have yet to lose a pair of contacts by wearing them in the water.

I won't snorkle w/ my contacts in. I can't afford to lose them in a foreign country. Several years ago I invested in prescription sun glasses. I just take those for the land based portion of the trip & go "blind" in the water. :o

I've worn contacts (hard, then gas permeable, then soft) for 42 years. Yikes, am I getting old!!

I've never gotten any significant amount of water in my snorkel mask, or risked losing a lens that way. Now that I wear the kind of soft lenses that are meant to be worn for two weeks, I always travel with extras, and don't worry about it.

AZ,

sorry I couldn't give you an answer sooner so you'd have your goggles for your cruise. Hope you eventually get them and have as good an experience with them that I do. They are really close to my prescription and they really do make things easier for me. I believe mine are speedo's but it looks like there are many other companies making them now.

-Jo

ot - I'm scheduled for Lasik on the 26th! Cannot wait...a little nervous, though. After 30+ years of hard and gas permeable lenses and glasses as thick as Coke bottles, I'll be a changed woman in just 2 short weeks!!! Everyone I know who's had the surgery said I'll kick myself for not doing it 10 years ago. I'll still have to wear my readers, but, who cares? I love my reading glasses! ;)

3+ years ago i had lasik!! best money i ever spent. once i was blind and now i'm not!!!:D

I won't snorkle w/ my contacts in. I can't afford to lose them in a foreign country. Several years ago I invested in prescription sun glasses. I just take those for the land based portion of the trip & go "blind" in the water. :o

I always travel with a second pair just to avoid this potential problem :) But I have snorkled numerous times with my contacts and have never had even one problem. Bring an extra pair if you can and don't worry about it. I actually bring the extra pair because I am notorious for ripping them!

I won't snorkle w/ my contacts in. I can't afford to lose them in a foreign country.

I can't imagine traveling without replacement contact lenses or to have to wear my prescription sunglasses inside the ship.

Why not carry on old pair of contact lenses or glasses?

Twice I've had emergencies with my glasses. Once my son kicked me in the face - broke the glasses right at the bridge. (Oops - that sounded rough - but he was only a year old at the time - guess he didn't want his diaper changed. ;) )

Another time I carelessly left my glasses on the bed and DH sat on them.

I never travel without spares.

Archived