There's nothing quite like spending Christmas on...

airy_fairy

Hi,

We've just booked our first cruise outside of our usual July/August time slot and although we are really looking forward to spending two weeks on The Millennium out of Hong Kong we are wondering how 'Christmassy' it will feel.

From previous reviews I've read about Christmas Eve carols, Christmas day lunches and various masses for various denominations (we might just make midnight after our tour of Hanoi haha) but I wonder if the timing will be out for Christmas dinner as aren't due to sail until 8PM Christmas Day - will this mean that Christmas Dinner will be served in the evening? Or will we be making turkey sandwiches in the buffet (pretty standard Christmas day evening meal anyway!)?

Hi.

We're on the same cruise and whilst we have never sailed Celebrity over Christmas, we have sailed on Crown Princess in the Caribbean (3 years ago) and there was definitely a festive atmosphere.

There were Christmas carols on Christmas Eve in the atrium and the ship was dressed beautifully with many Christmas Trees. Traditional Christmas dinner was one of the options on the menu in the MDR on the evening of the 25th and the tables were nicely dressed (but no Christmas Crackers-not an American thing apparently).

I realise that was Princess and this is Celebrity but from what I've read, the lines are pretty similar at this time of year.

We actually depart from Halong Bay at 1.00PM on Christmas Day-unless they have changed our itinerary so everyone should be back on board in time for dinner:)

So they do depart at 1pm! Thanks for pointing out my mistake. :)

Perhaps I should pack some crackers... Not sure what our table mates would make of dodgy hats or dodgier jokes mind... Perhaps we should ask for a British table so we aren't dodged for the rest of the cruise!

Perhaps I should pack some crackers... Not sure what our table mates would make of dodgy hats or dodgier jokes mind... Perhaps we should ask for a British table so we aren't dodged for the rest of the cruise!

We were also talking about bringing crackers:D

On our Princess Cruise they had traditional Christmas Pudding on the menu but we had to try to describe what it was as some of our table mates had never heard of it:confused:

I'm surprised - I thought Americans had crackers too. We Canadians have them!

Well then, it's clearly time to introduce them. They've given the world plenty if gifts (Oreo cookies, Coca Cola, Jack Daniels and grasshopper pie to name my own personal love affairs...) - time to share the love!

We call them bon bons, not crackers, but Aussies definitely believe they are an essential Christmas Day item... :D

Are we allowed to take something like that on a plane??? Maybe they sell them in HK...

As an American, I have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about! Please be so kind as to explain these mysterious crackers!

They look like this. Two people pull at each end, they "pop" and the "winner" gets a paper party hat, a bad joke, and a "gift"... the gift depends on how expensive they were to buy in the first place, but it's usually something that would be considered a choking hazard for a small child...:eek:

bonbon.jpg.56d694e37d8548a2c6719715c24fd4a5.jpg

We call them bon bons, not crackers, but Aussies definitely believe they are an essential Christmas Day item... :D

Are we allowed to take something like that on a plane??? Maybe they sell them in HK...

My grandmother, born 1894, always called cracker bonbons. However, when they were invented by Tom Smith in 1860 he called them "Bangs of Expectation" but they were commonly known as "cosaques" because they reminded people of the noise they made sounded like the cracking of the Cossacks' whips.

We have considered taking crackers overseas when we have been away over Christmas in the past but decided against it because they are, after all, capable of creating small explosions and concerned about taking them through airport or ship security checks. I doubt that they would be welcome on board.

I have a vague recollection that it is/was possible to purchase crackers without the "crack" or you could buy normal crackers and remove the "crack". Ust say "bang" as you pull them.

I am now quite seriously considering buying flat pack cracker kits and some HK/Vietnam goodies to out in them for our Christmas Day table mates... :D

Just use the inner cardboard piece of a toilet roll and some wrapping paper and make your own. I remember doing that back in school days...

We were aboard the Island Princess for Christmas a few years ago. We had sailed from Acapulco on our way to the Panama Canal. It was a sea day and it was great! Very Christmassy. Our extended family (grandparents, uncle, parents and two girls) gathered in one of the lounges in the morning to exchange presents. There was another, much larger family, who also gathered but they really had it planned. They had a clothesline with stockings, ordered hot chocolate and breakfast pastries, sang carols and exchanged gifts.

In the Atrium, Santa had a gift for every child (a Princess teddy bear), photos with Santa, crafts. A festive Christmas dinner in the MDR.

I know about crackers! I'm from Texas but my mom is English, so we often have them. (Bon bons are candy, at least in the US) Not sure if you can bring them on board. Last summer I had "poppers" for a New Year's Eve gift on Disney Magic. They got through security OK, but I saw something later that said you could't bring anything that "ignites".

(Bon bons are candy, at least in the US) .

Bonbons are candy, or sweets to us, from the French, I believe but crackers look a little like what we would call wrapped, boiled sweets - hard sweets, wrapped in cellophane, foil and/or paper with the two ends twisted and then flaring out again. Not sure if I have been able to describe them clearly and I cannot think of anything I have seen in the US like them.

Here is an instructional video just in case you ever have to sit near a bonkers British/Canadian/Australian/New Zealander he'll bent on making you take part in this odd tradition :D :D :D

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FcrLV_jAVZo

Well at least it will be easy to spot our Commonwealth friends on our cruise!