Where do YOU book your cruise?

EasyBreezy83

Wondering if there's really a price difference in booking on another website over Carnival? Anyone have any information on this? I've always booked right from carnival, so I'm just wondering. :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

The prices always looked the same to me. Just easier to go through carnival so you can control your own booking as opposed to going through a third party.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I get emails from a lot of TAs and they always offer incentives that make them the better deal. I haven't found a downside and have never had a price drop although I watch closely. We sail twice a year.

I book through my Carnival PVP because I qualify for a discounted interline rate that requires eligibility verification. I can get the special rate through some specialized interline TA's but they usually charge a booking fee, which Carnival direct doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Its against the rules to name travel sites.

In not asking for names... I'm simply asking if you go through another site or carnival. Please tell me where I've asked for anyone to name names in my op? Thanks. :):rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

I always book online with Carnival directly. That is just me as I like to maintain some control when dealing with my booking.

As of July 2010 travel agents can only give you Carnival approved rates if they want to sell Carnival cruises. However that does not prevent them from offering you an 'incentive' to book with them. It takes a really good agent to deal with some of the hoops they have to jump through. :)

We have a TA we use when booking cruises with Royal or Celebrity as she is a preferred agent for them and therefore can get us great perks. If booking with Carnival or NCL we'll just book directly via their web site.

When we are booking a last minute, saw a great price cruise, we use our PVP.

When we are booking a bigger (more expensive) long range cruise, we use a TA because we will be using Hilton Honors points and are required to go through a particular agency. They charge a $25.00 service fee, so I wouldn't use them if I weren't required to.

I'd prefer to book thru Carnival. That gives me the choice to micromanage my booking and if I need to talk to someone I can call right away and anyone can help me-be it PVP, regular customer service, etc. no waiting for callbacks and arguing over price drops that don't exist by the time they get around to it.

I like having the control over my trip. It's just how I am. ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have booked through an airline once (to get miles) and another time through a travel site. Haven't yet gone through Carnival directly.

The airline charged a $25 booking fee, as do most sites. The one travel site didn't and they also offered extra OBC credit.

Edited by hirent

We've always used the same Travel Agent. There is no worry on my part at all and she takes care of everything and gets us upgrades if available. We just tell her where and when we want to go and she makes it happen.

We use someone that we know personally that just happens to be a cruise TA. She's usually pretty good about helping me out and dealing with carnival should I have any problems. As well as if we recommend someone to her and they book a cruise thru her, we can receive a small finders fee to go towards our cruise! Works for everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most recently with Carnival either through the website or PVP. I only use other online sites when they have more obc or promo specials (specialty dining, free hotel nights, free gratuities, or $$$ for excursions) thats better than the pricing on promos on Carnival when considering all the extras included. With the ES rate,and other sales/promos that Carnival has been offering lately, and the ability to control my booking w/o going through a third party, I'll most likely be booking directly with them for now on.

Like with anything else, just shop around.

Some TA will give you more OBC then others.

We cannot name websites but its easy as pie to figure that out

when comparing prices, be sure to get prices on same catagory so you get the right comparision

Edited by limoguy1

With Carnival I book directly. I have booked online myself, with a PVP or by calling the toll free number. The very first cruise I booked with a major online TA. The service was fine. I had no issues. But it was just as easy as booking with myself so I figured why not. When I booked my celebrity cruise I used a TA, one of the big one that specializes in cruises, because they were offering free gratuities and free upgrade from classic bev package to premium, which was over and above what celebrity was offering for the same price (Celebrity gave classic beverage package). Other cruise lines seem to allow TAs to give more OBC or perks to their customers for booking them, but with Carnival its pretty much the same. So, if I were booking with another line other than carnival, I would probably use that TA, if they were offering something better than the cruise line itself. With Carnival, I just book direct. Prices are always comparable either way, its just whether there are extras.

The two cruises I've booked thus far have been through USAA. (Mega military travel/insurance/banking/financial company) I like the security of booking through them; If I choose to use travel insurance, theirs is always cheapest with the best coverage, and I get points for reduced prices toward future travel.

I'm starting to learn more though and am interested in how to get bookings that come with OBC. I've yet to get that.

One question - what is PVP?????

Always book thru the same online TA. I try and always use the same agent, but its a comfort to know that its a big agency, so if she is not around, someone is always there to help. Base price of the cruise is the same as Carnival, but we usually get OBC - up to 10% of the base tariff (before taxes) on Carnival cruises. For our recent RCL cruise, we got $50 of OBC even though it was just a short 4-dayer. We had been looking at a longer RCL cruise and she had offered me $200 of OBC plus a free dinner for 2 in the specialty restaurant and a discount on spa treatments. Ultimately, we still went with Carnival as the ports were similar and the price was so much better. My TA is great, super quick to call me back if I have any questions, etc.