Info on purchasing insurance

I'll be purchasing insurance for the first time for my upcoming trip. I thought it'd be a straight forward process but it has me a bit confused.

My main issues are:

I'm doing a b2b. So do I have to buy 2 separate policies for each cruise or can I put in by departure and return dates to cover both cruises?

I more concerned about the medical and evacuation coverage but with visiting 10 islands in 14 days does that get complicated when purchasing insurance?

I'm going to call in but was hoping to get some real life experiences from those who have purchased insurance for a b2b.

Oh also, when it asks for trip total they are also asking for flight and hotels too right? not just the cost of the cruise?

Thanks.

Regarding if you buy for each cruise or the entire trip, it depends on which insurance you buy. If you buy cruise line insurance, then you buy for each cruise. If you buy third party insurance, then you buy for the entire trip.

Regarding the value of the trip total, that's up to you. You need to tell the insurance company what you want covered. In other words, if you don't include airfare, then they won't reimbuse you for airfare if you have to cancel.

I'll be purchasing insurance for the first time for my upcoming trip. I thought it'd be a straight forward process but it has me a bit confused.

My main issues are:

I'm doing a b2b. So do I have to buy 2 separate policies for each cruise or can I put in by departure and return dates to cover both cruises?

I more concerned about the medical and evacuation coverage but with visiting 10 islands in 14 days does that get complicated when purchasing insurance?

I'm going to call in but was hoping to get some real life experiences from those who have purchased insurance for a b2b.

Oh also, when it asks for trip total they are also asking for flight and hotels too right? not just the cost of the cruise?

Thanks.

We purchase CruiseCare through RCI and the insurance is purchased for each cruise. When purchasing insurance through RCI the cost of the insurance is based on the cruisefare. If you happen to have a price reduction, the cost of the insurance may also be reduced.

I would suggest using InSureMyTrip.com. Normally hotel reservations can be canceled up to 24 hours prior to arrival. Insurance for air can be purchased at the time of booking your airfare.

Our recent experience with air insurance. We purchased our air to Barcelona through RCI's Choice Air for b2b in February of this year. I also took out 3rd party insurance at the time since final payment was not due until June 23 and that is when CruiseCare would have become effective. Lucky I did, because I had to cancel our cruise and after submitting all the necessary forms, we were reimbursed the entire amount that we paid for our air.

Edited by cruisenfever

We purchase CruiseCare through RCI and the insurance is purchased for each cruise. When purchasing insurance through RCI the cost of the insurance is based on the cruisefare. If you happen to have a price reduction, the cost of the insurance may also be reduced.

I would suggest using InSureMyTrip.com. Normally hotel reservations can be canceled up to 24 hours prior to arrival. Insurance for air can be purchased at the time of booking your airfare.

Our recent experience with air insurance. We purchased our air to Barcelona through RCI's Choice Air for b2b in February of this year. I also took out 3rd party insurance at the time since final payment was not due until June 23 and that is when CruiseCare would have become effective. Lucky I did, because I had to cancel our cruise and after submitting all the necessary forms, we were reimbursed the entire amount that we paid for our air.

Patti, you can purchase Cruise care at any time as I have done this several times. I just call and tell them I'm booking air and they charge my card.

Patti, you can purchase Cruise care at any time as I have done this several times. I just call and tell them I'm booking air and they charge my card.

Thanks Jim. Did you just insure the cost of your air at the time of booking?

Edited by cruisenfever

Patti,

Thank you for the information.

Edited by Folk Singer

You need to include any costs that you want reimbursed in the event of a cancellation, and check to be sure that the policy covers those things that are important to you (medical evac, lost baggage, etc.).

Most of us purchase non refundable air often before final payment, so even if the cruise gets cancelled, the air is still paid. So unless you are flying on JetBlue or Southwest, where they allow you to cancel and put the funds into an account for another time, with no change fee, then I would include it.

Also look for a policy that has coverage amounts that you feel are adequate. Cruise line insurance medical evac is low, and if you need to be evacuated, it may not cover the costs. Feel free to call the third party site and ask questions; they will be happy to help guide you to a policy that works for you.

And you would cover from start of travel to end of travel.

If you purchase a policy for example from insure my trip you would just put the start date and end date in for the whole trip.

When we buy we just add in to the trip cost for air and hotels, we generally have an idea of the cost.

If you purchase from rci or lmt for example you should read the terms and conditions of the policy you want, they are all online, before buying the policy

We always buy a policy with beefy medical coverage as Medicare does not cover outside the USA in all cases. Also, you might have to foot the bill yourself and submit to insurance after arriving back home. The ships work like this, the bill goes on your seapass account

Edited by setsail