Kennel Question, Round Trip?

VoyagerHS

Has anyone here ever done a back to back round trip on QM2 with your dog(s) along for the ride?

I'm talking about 8 days there, 4 nights in Southampton or London, and then 7 days back to NY. At least they would have the 4 days to rest and run around, but...

I would think 14 or 15 days in a ship's kennel would be too stressful. Or is it better than leaving them at home in a kennel or with a pet sitter for 3 weeks?

Actually in my case it is just one dog, and he is very attached and has never been left with anyone before, and certainly not for 3 weeks.

I absolutely hate to fly by the way, so flying back is not a consideration.

Edited by VoyagerHS

Has anyone here ever done a back to back round trip on QM2 with your dog(s) along for the ride? ...

Yes, but it was a long time ago now. Between May 23 and June 4, 2006, we took our cat with us over and back on QM2 (six day crossings back in the good old days). He enjoyed it east bound despite being the only cat among all the dogs, and he loved it westbound when he had the kennels to himself (that will never happen again). You can read all about his adventure here.

The kennels have been gussied up since then and are more expensive, especially for cats (you have to pay for a separate cage for the litter box). Here is a 2006/2012 comparison.

That was the only time our cat traveled with us on QM2. On our later cruises of less than ten days we boarded him with the vet; for longer cruises we boarded him at a local "animal inn" that offered duplex cages and personal attention and cost about the same as the QM2 kennels (2006 prices).

Welcome to CC and to QM2, VoyagerHS. Bon Voyage!

Has anyone here ever done a back to back round trip on QM2 with your dog(s) along for the ride?

I'm talking about 8 days there, 4 nights in Southampton or London, and then 7 days back to NY. At least they would have the 4 days to rest and run around, but...

I would think 14 or 15 days in a ship's kennel would be too stressful. Or is it better than leaving them at home in a kennel or with a pet sitter for 3 weeks?

Actually in my case it is just one dog, and he is very attached and has never been left with anyone before, and certainly not for 3 weeks.

I absolutely hate to fly by the way, so flying back is not a consideration.

You sound just like me, but I didn't take my dog. We did the same trip last year but we stayed longer in England. We left Jean Luc, our standard poodle home with a dog sitter. He is very attached as well. You never know about the sitter though. The one we hired seemed to always be at home when we called, but you don't know for sure. One year we hired one and she just came in and dumped a bunch of food now and then and left. She worked at a vet's office, so you never know.

Anyway, we sat for dinner with a couple who had their dog and they visited the dog four times a day. I imagine it is a bit stressful though depending on the dog. Their dog seemed happy enough though.

One other thing, I don't fly either. :)

Yes it's far better to leave to leave the dog at home.

I don't think the kennels are really provided for vacation trips.

The dog would agree.

Have a good trip.

David.

The dog would agree.

Have a good trip.

David.

Yes, I agree with David. Our table mates whose dog was in the kennel were coming back to the states from England after living there for 10 years so they felt they had little choice.

Another thing on that crossing, the kennels on the ship were full and reservations must be made well in advance.

The dog would agree.

Have a good trip.

David.

Dear David,

This was not supposed to be a "vacation trip". Actually, I don't do "vacation trips", and not on a transatlantic, which I use for travel. Because of responsibilities and changes in plans, I am unable to stay the 2 months in Europe originally scheduled for business purposes.

Since I cannot be reimbursed for the fare, I have a conundrum: Leave my pup behind for 3 weeks or take him with me. He's been on QM2 before, and does very well in the kennel. He would feel abandoned if I leave him behind.

Besides, he's been traveling with me ever since he was a puppy. To him travel is normal, everyday life. He doesn't know anything else. He seems to enjoy the adventure, and he's very young still.

Back to back kennel is not ideal, but at least he would see me all the time.

pmb1: "Yes, but it was a long time ago now. Between May 23 and June 4, 2006, we took our cat with us over and back on QM2 (six day crossings back in the good old days). He enjoyed it east bound despite being the only cat among all the dogs, and he loved it westbound when he had the kennels to himself (that will never happen again). You can read all about his adventure here. Welcome to CC and to QM2, VoyagerHS. Bon Voyage!"

Thank you. My pup seems to love the attention he gets in the QM2 kennels, and he seems to be in a very good mood after each trip, which is why I was wondering about doing it back to back.

The Real PM: "You sound just like me, but I didn't take my dog. We did the same trip last year but we stayed longer in England. We left Jean Luc, our standard poodle home with a dog sitter. He is very attached as well. You never know about the sitter though. The one we hired seemed to always be at home when we called, but you don't know for sure. One year we hired one and she just came in and dumped a bunch of food now and then and left. She worked at a vet's office, so you never know.

Anyway, we sat for dinner with a couple who had their dog and they visited the dog four times a day. I imagine it is a bit stressful though depending on the dog. Their dog seemed happy enough though.

One other thing, I don't fly either."

I had bad experiences leaving my previous dog with people I trusted. I just don't want the risk anymore.

And I know about the difficulty getting a kennel. It's not an issue this time.

Still trying to decide. I have to scrap my 2 month voyage to London, but since I can't get a refund on my crossing, I thought I would just go round trip. As I said, I absolutely hate flying.

My dog always comes with me on QM2, but he has never done a back to back. Well this would be back to back but with 4 days rest and exercise in between. I just don't know if this would be too stressful for a dog?

My dog is fine in the QM2 kennel, and fairly happy (he's always happy), but a wee bit stressed at the same time, with some out of the ordinary whining, toy obsession behaviors. He does love the attention he gets from everyone though, and being part of a "pack" for a change seems to agree with him.

I don't know if 15 days total in the kennels, even with 4 days in between, is too much to put him through.

He's never been away from me, and I don't know anyone I can trust to leave him with, besides which he'd feel abandoned.

Not sure what to do.

Unless you have no other option, leave them home with a responsible friend or family member or in a good kennel. They are better off on land where they can receive proper medical attention if they fall ill.

One of the chief pursers (whose department oversees the kennel) said that dogs can often become very seasick. I have thus resisted taking my dog with us on a back to back crossing.

Keep us posted.

Still trying to decide. I have to scrap my 2 month voyage to London, but since I can't get a refund on my crossing, I thought I would just go round trip. As I said, I absolutely hate flying.

My dog always comes with me on QM2, but he has never done a back to back. Well this would be back to back but with 4 days rest and exercise in between. I just don't know if this would be too stressful for a dog?

My dog is fine in the QM2 kennel, and fairly happy (he's always happy), but a wee bit stressed at the same time, with some out of the ordinary whining, toy obsession behaviors. He does love the attention he gets from everyone though, and being part of a "pack" for a change seems to agree with him.

I don't know if 15 days total in the kennels, even with 4 days in between, is too much to put him through.

He's never been away from me, and I don't know anyone I can trust to leave him with, besides which he'd feel abandoned.

Not sure what to do.

Hi VoyagerHS. When you booked your crossing, did you also book kennel space?

Unless you have no other option, leave them home with a responsible friend or family member or in a good kennel. They are better off on land where they can receive proper medical attention if they fall ill.

One of the chief pursers (whose department oversees the kennel) said that dogs can often become very seasick. I have thus resisted taking my dog with us on a back to back crossing.

Keep us posted.

I have been in the worst of storms, and none of the dogs, including mine, ever became seasick. We certainly did though.

Yes, of course.

Hi VoyagerHS. Since you have booked passage for both you and your best pal, and nobody knows your dog better than you do - if the veterinary has cleared your dog for passage, then you have all the information you need to make your decision. I applaud you for your concern about your best friend, and I trust you will do what is best for both of you. Carpe Diem, as my Golden Retriever pal always reminded me :) Cheers, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Keep us posted.

Hi Bobby...from my limited knowledge about dogs, there are some that are more prone to seasickness than others. Some dogs come from a long line of seafarers, like me. We take to the sea. Perhaps some kind of genetic memory? :)

-S

I have been in the worst of storms, and none of the dogs, including mine, ever became seasick. We certainly did though.

Well, just to be fair - unless someone was in the kennels 24/7, they wouldn't know if any dog was seasick. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that anyone got seasick during a storm - it can happen to captains, countess, cats, dogs and other mere mortals .

The OP has had some good advice, some say to leave the dog at home and others feel that it is OK to take it. He/she doesn't seem to want to accept any advice that conflicts with what he/she wants so I suggest that the OP does whatever he/she intended to do.

The OP has had some good advice, some say to leave the dog at home and others feel that it is OK to take it. He/she doesn't seem to want to accept any advice that conflicts with what he/she wants so I suggest that the OP does whatever he/she intended to do.

Where do you see that I don't "seem to want to accept any advice that conflicts with what he/she wants"?

I am trying to make a decision based on my own feelings about it and also by hearing as many other opinions/experiences about it as possible. I am weighing the pros and cons. I am not a little girl asking "Daddy" for advice, I am just trying to get feedback to help me decide. Surely you don't think that one posts on a forum and just immediately takes the advice given because forum posters must be an authority on the subject. These are opinions, not advice. You're sounding quite "Craigslisty" here.

I was also hoping to hear from people who had actually done the back to back kennel thing.

Anyway, always appreciate kind, polite, constructive feedback. Thank you to everyone who has posted their thoughts.

Where do you see that I don't "seem to want to accept any advice that conflicts with what he/she wants"?

I am trying to make a decision based on my own feelings about it and also by hearing as many other opinions/experiences about it as possible. I am weighing the pros and cons. I am not a little girl asking "Daddy" for advice, I am just trying to get feedback to help me decide. Surely you don't think that one posts on a forum and just immediately takes the advice given because forum posters must be an authority on the subject. These are opinions, not advice. You're sounding quite "Craigslisty" here.

I was also hoping to hear from people who had actually done the back to back kennel thing.

Anyway, always appreciate kind, polite, constructive feedback. Thank you to everyone who has posted their thoughts.

When I read

" He would feel abandoned if I leave him behind. " and "I had bad experiences leaving my previous dog with people I trusted. I just don't want the risk anymore." and "I don't know anyone I can trust to leave him with, besides which he'd feel abandoned."

I'm on QM2 at the moment and when we left Southampton we disembarked a dead dog and the couple that had boarded that day with said animal to do a WB TA.

... I'm on QM2 at the moment and when we left Southampton we disembarked a dead dog and the couple that had boarded that day with said animal to do a WB TA.
Sorry, Cap'n, I don't see the relevance of that information to this thread. Do you really believe that that dog's brief stay in the kennels before the ship sailed harmed it?

I doubt that there are very many of us.

Hi pmb1,

Did you return immediately on QM2, or did you have a few days in port? I tried to find the blog about your trip through your link, but I only seemed to be able to access 1 page, and the rest were photos and ship's daily event timetables.

I hope your cat coped well? I guess the thing about cats (I used to have 2 back in college) is that they are quite self sufficient. Although I'm sure yours must have been used to having the run of the house, so being confined might not be ideal. The cats I've seen in the QM2 kennels have been pretty quiet, just sleeping in their crates most of the time.

My dog seems fine with the crossings. I just don't know if 2 together would be just too much. It almost seems ridiculous to do it. The other option is to just cancel the whole trip and get a small percentage of the fare back.

Hi pmb1,

Did you return immediately on QM2, or did you have a few days in port? I tried to find the blog about your trip through your link, but I only seemed to be able to access 1 page, and the rest were photos and ship's daily event timetables.

I hope your cat coped well? I guess the thing about cats (I used to have 2 back in college) is that they are quite self sufficient. Although I'm sure yours must have been used to having the run of the house, so being confined might not be ideal. The cats I've seen in the QM2 kennels have been pretty quiet, just sleeping in their crates most of the time.

My dog seems fine with the crossings. I just don't know if 2 together would be just too much. It almost seems ridiculous to do it. The other option is to just cancel the whole trip and get a small percentage of the fare back.

Hello, VoyagerHS. It was a true over-and-back, just the day in Southampton. Sebastian loved it. Our blog of the trip is at sebastian (dash) at (dash) sea (dot) blogspot (dot)

com, to which CC forbids including a direct link here. I think your experienced ocean-crossing dog will love it too. Go for it!

Hello, VoyagerHS. It was a true over-and-back, just the day in Southampton. Sebastian loved it. Our blog of the trip is at sebastian (dash) at (dash) sea (dot) blogspot (dot)

com, to which CC forbids including a direct link here. I think your experienced ocean-crossing dog will love it too. Go for it!

I found your blog. I enjoyed reading about your trip. Very cute cat.

That's lovely. I'm feeling encouraged. I would have a few days on land, so I thought I would try to spend at least half the time in some nice outdoor locations so he can run free as much as possible and release his energy.

Well, I have the weekend to mull it over. Thanks.

Sorry, Cap'n, I don't see the relevance of that information to this thread. Do you really believe that that dog's brief stay in the kennels before the ship sailed harmed it?

I can't be certain but it was said that the animal was stressed upon arrival at the kennels and then it died. I don't think that it is too much of a leap to connect the two things and the OP seemed concerned about stressing his animal.

I can't be certain but it was said that the animal was stressed upon arrival at the kennels and then it died. I don't think that it is too much of a leap to connect the two things and the OP seemed concerned about stressing his animal.
But the OP has said that his dog has been aboard before without suffering any stress (see posts 6, 8, and 12 above). Your leap was in equating the response of a dog that arrived stressed and likely suffering from who knows what pre-existing ailments to one that will be boarding unstressed and healthy. I agree with the OP that a crossing and a few days romp ashore and another crossing will suit his pet just fine.