Norwegian cruise line canvas photo

709cruiser

Hi myself and my husband purchased a canvas onboard the Norwegian Jade in June. We were told the price and was advised that shipping was free, pretty convenient. We live in Canada and had no issues receiving the canvas. It wasn't until today, a month after we received the canvas, that we were sent a bill for duty charges from fedex. Has anyone ran into this issue before? what are the chances Norwegian will cover the charges? If we had of known the additional fees we would not of purchased this canvas.

It has been a several years since we purchased art on the ship but when we did, we declared the art as goods to arrive later at customs when we arrived back in Canada. I don't remember the exact process but as we had declared the goods which was within our customs limit, we did not pay anything extra on receipt of the shipment.

If you did not declare the art as a future receipt as you came back into Canada then it is just like you ordered a product from your home to be shipped to you.

And in case you weren't aware, it is not NCL that you purchased from, so, no help from them. Art work is purchased from Park West.

Customer is always responsible for duty charges from their home country. Hope you enjoy your piece.

I think NCL should have told me about duty charges... Yes! And how am I suppose to know that I'm not ordering prints from NCL? I def would not of purchased it had I have known I would have additional charges on top of what we paid, I just would have went with a print we could have put in our luggage

Hi myself and my husband purchased a canvas onboard the Norwegian Jade in June. We were told the price and was advised that shipping was free, pretty convenient. We live in Canada and had no issues receiving the canvas. It wasn't until today, a month after we received the canvas, that we were sent a bill for duty charges from fedex. Has anyone ran into this issue before? what are the chances Norwegian will cover the charges? If we had of known the additional fees we would not of purchased this canvas.

Unfortunately it's the responsibility of a purchaser to inquire if and how much duty is required in his/her home country. I'm not sure how Canada handles shipboard purchases - is it probably based on the country where the canvas was painted. (You'll notice on auction sites that some sellers won't ship outside their own country or have a disclaimer regarding customs.)

This forum is probably not the best place to inquire about Canadian customs. A while back I inquired what were other US poster's experience with shipboard jewelry purchases but got totally irrelevant responses regarding jewelry purchases in the Caribbean and French Polynesia. Nobody could give a direct answer to my question. (In the end I didn't buy the item for fear it would end up costing as much if not more than if it had been bought stateside.)

Slime to nil. This is not NCL issue. This is with the Canadian government as they are one you collecting the duty. Anytime you travel outside of Canada or US and buy items and bring them back (or ship them back) to your country of residence you must declare them and pay duty on arrival. This is standard policy. It is your responsibly to understand the law and regulations; not NCL. Art work, Jewelry, liquor, cigarettes, etc all have very strict limits to which you bring back duty free. It is the consumer responsible to understand the law and pay duty above the duty free amount. Unfortunately you didn't understand or know about the law. Well, you do now and on future travel purchasing items abroad can have sever financial consequence. Why do they charge duty tax? The Canadian government want a cut of the purchase since you didn't pay Canadian sales taxes in Canadian which pays for social services, etc. This is why buying expensive items abroad is foolish unless you are willing to pay the duty tax.

If you had bought a painting in New York to be delivered to Canada, would you really have expected the art dealer to tell you about Canadian customs? NCL or its agents are in exactly the same position. Yes, the company knows you're from Canada, but they don't check your country of citizenship when they sell you something. They told you about US customs at disembarkation in the US; that's as far as their responsibility goes.