Lock your luggage?

vacati0n

Can you lock your checked luggage - leaving from Boston on the Dawn tomorrow thanks

I assume you mean on the ship - yes. Airline-no.

NCL will not open your bag. If they see something on the xray, they hold it for you.

By the way, we have never locked ours.

I assume you mean on the ship - yes. Airline-no.

NCL will not open your bag. If they see something on the xray, they hold it for you.

By the way, we have never locked ours.

Actually Airline Yes if you use the TSA locks that have the generic key for TSA to open

We lock ours at the airline as well. TSA approved locks are acceptable.

We always lock our TSA locks on our luggage... when the TSA inspects a bag of checked-in luggage, they leave a post card saying 'we have been here' (I have gotten them twice in my suitcase). If NCL security wants to look in your bag, your bag is suspiciously missing from your cabin on the first day. The first thought is fear that it is lost... hours later, you receive a letter at your door giving you a location and time for a secondary inspection by NCL security.

As you wait in the line for screening, you will hear others talk about the wine or alcohol stowed inside their luggage... my bag had a bottle of water inside that caused the secondary screening requirement. The moral of the story is carry your water with you and not in a checked bag.

we always lock them with TSA locks - we are from the UK and no good over here but when we travel to the USA, we learnt a lesson when ours got cut off to inspect a bag by united airlines. We soon bought TSA locks

NCL have never opened them and we've never been called to the naughty room

we always lock them with TSA locks - we are from the UK and no good over here but when we travel to the USA, we learnt a lesson when ours got cut off to inspect a bag by united airlines. We soon bought TSA locks

NCL have never opened them and we've never been called to the naughty room

Pardon my ignorance....daft Brit here!! :)

But what are TSA locks and will I need them on my flight to Miami?

Didn't use anything different when we flew to Orlando 3 years back and don't recall a problem. :confused:

Pardon my ignorance....daft Brit here!! :)

But what are TSA locks and will I need them on my flight to Miami?

Didn't use anything different when we flew to Orlando 3 years back and don't recall a problem. :confused:

TSA is USA government agency that screens passengers at the airport. An TSA approved lock is one that can be opened by the TSA agent with a master key. If you use another type of lock and they want to inspect your luggage they will just cut it off.

TSA is USA government agency that screens passengers at the airport. An TSA approved lock is one that can be opened by the TSA agent with a master key. If you use another type of lock and they want to inspect your luggage they will just cut it off.

These days, many suitcases sold in the US will go ahead and incorporate a TSA approved lock straight in. The issue arises when you use an older lock or an older piece of luggage and the agents take great joy in breaking their way in.

These days, many suitcases sold in the US will go ahead and incorporate a TSA approved lock straight in. The issue arises when you use an older lock or an older piece of luggage and the agents take great joy in breaking their way in.

So if I'm coming from Britain to the USA and have the wrong type of lock, the chances are my locks will get broken? :eek:

Better go and search out TSA approved locks then!

Thanks for the advice and thanks to SailawayKC for the explanation. :)

I was on the Dawn a few weeks ago and security opened my suitcase and removed my travel iron. They put a note in my suitcase stating I could pick up my iron on the last day of the cruise at guest services. I use zip ties to lock my luggage.

Why bother, you think a thief cannot get past a crappy little suitcase lock if they want to be in it. A stanley knife will open any canvass type suitcase and a 2lb hammer for a plastic type in seconds if someone really wants to. On the other hand a thief could simply walk away with the whole suitcase and open at their leisure. Never keep anything of significant value in your suitcase is the answer.

Why bother, you think a thief cannot get past a crappy little suitcase lock if they want to be in it. A stanley knife will open any canvass type suitcase and a 2lb hammer for a plastic type in seconds if someone really wants to. On the other hand a thief could simply walk away with the whole suitcase and open at their leisure. Never keep anything of significant value in your suitcase is the answer.

Why bother locking your doors, windows, car doors and so on then? Locks are for honest people. A thief will always do whatever it takes.

Because a car has an alarm when the window is smashed that attracts the attention of others who are perhaps more honest, they also would have to be pretty darn good to actually take a modern day car these days even if they do get into it.

A pathetic little lock which can be broken in seconds with no noise or alarm going off with a cheap pair of pliers on the other hand is a little different. If anything it attracts a thief as one with a lock on says it must have something worth taking in it.

Only idiots put anything of value in luggage they aren't keeping with them. That said, we always lock our checked bags. If someone wants in, they'll find a way but if they're in a hurry, or in a public area (like the hallway on the last night) & concerned with the time, our hope is they'll pass the locked bags & move on to the unlocked ones that are faster to access.

Do NOT use TSA locks unless your flights are totally within the US. I've had my luggage badly damaged by security agents in non-US airports. I wish they had simply cut off the locks. It's much easier to replace a lock than to repair torn zippers. Looks like a gorilla used a crowbar to open them!

Only U.S. TSA agents can open TSA locks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums