Equinox Venice to Istanbul June 14 – June 21, 2014 Review

NCruiser2012

taking Equinox in Sept, and was going to take a water taxi each way.

Is there a need to reserve a taxi at airport before we leave?--I was expecting to pay 100 E , to San Marco area where we will be staying-

Also I was surprised to hear about 2 hours to get on the ship--we were thinking about getting on around 2 Pm we don't leave until following day

How many are in your group? We stayed in an apartment we booked on AirBnB that was near the Madonna Dell'Orto in Venice, and took the Alilaguna to get there for €15 each. Even my DD in the wheelchair was able to board, although she had to step on, and they are used to suitcases. The water taxi would have cost €160 or so. The water taxi from our apartment was €140. We booked the taxi the day before by phone. Your hotel can advise you on the best way to transfer.

I agree, the best way to see Venice for the first time is by water taxi. You can't put a price on it. A totally unforgettable experience.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the water taxi trips. In fact, we did not do a gondola ride because we felt we had seen the canals via the water taxi. I am sure the gondola is much more romantic, but we did not fee a need to do this. Next trip to Venice we will!

Corfu

We did not plan Corfu well. Our plan was to walk around the town, but my son really wanted to go swimming since it was such a beautiful day. Supposedly there was a beach very close to the cruise port. Well, we never found this one, but we kept walking and walking until we found this little tiny pebbly beach near the old fort. This was a little over a mile. Be sure you have good shoes, not just flip flops. Nearby, was a bar/snack bar that had fabulous views. There were lots of people sitting around in bathing suits. The view was gorgeous, both of the water, the boats, Albania, and of the Old Fort. It turned out to be a really nice day.

To get to this beach, leave the port area and take a left (East). Walk about 1.3 miles along the water. You will eventually see a swimming area with an old pier. You will need to go down a ramp to get there. There is a white building with lots of tables outside. We set up camp here and ordered food. We took turns swimming. There were lots of people wearing swimming suits at this restaurant, so I think this was acceptable. There was a lot of construction as you enter the beach area, so it looks like they are building changing rooms. Watch out for sea urchins. Water shoes might be a good idea.

On the way back, my daughter and I stopped to do a little shopping. There was a tourist bus going back to the port. I think it was 1 or 2 Euros. At this point, it was well worth the money. I think this same bus left from the port to the old town.

Here is a link to a picture of the beach we went to. The picture is in the middle of the page. The bar is the white building in the background.

http://www.greecetravel.com/corfu/town.html

Again, it was not the greatest beach. If you really want a lovely, sandy beach, plan ahead. Nevertheless, we had a good day.

• 2 weeks later...