phone calls?

happygirl99

I am cruising on carnival Cruise ship Conquest this month. My port of calls are Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya,Maghony Bay I need to call home to check on sick family members and don't want a big cell phone bill. Is there free WiFi or pay phones I can use at these ports? If there is WiFi is there going to be a charge to use my phone as I am going to use a prepaid phone with WiFi? Is there a calling card I can get to call to USA from those ports?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Most ports have places near-by that have wifi. Some may be free and some you may need to make a purchase to use the wifi. Some port terminals have low cost or free wifi but I have not had good luck with those (too many people trying to use it at once).

I am not sure how the wifi and making a phone call to the US work together. I would call the company from which you purchased the prepaid phone to check the charges.

Hi there

Wifi is available as said above but is often very slow so have to hunt to find a good one

Often there are good Internet cafes which have good wifi to viber or equal

Never hard to find wifi

Macdonalds everywhere has it

Port wifi is often very slow so better in town in a cafe

By a coffee and chat away

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am cruising on carnival Cruise ship Conquest this month. My port of calls are Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya,Maghony Bay I need to call home to check on sick family members and don't want a big cell phone bill. Is there free WiFi or pay phones I can use at these ports? If there is WiFi is there going to be a charge to use my phone as I am going to use a prepaid phone with WiFi? Is there a calling card I can get to call to USA from those ports?

Many of the warehouse club stores sell international phone calling card. You have to make certain that you have the access dial number for each country in order to use the card at the various ports. That information can generally be found on the website of the calling card company. Cruise Staff generally are good source as to location of phones and free Wi-Fi when in port.

Recommend you check with your cell phone provider. One option is to get an unlocked phone and a t-mobile Sim card, use with their standard $50 per month plan. It covers text messages, some data, and calls at $0.20 per minute. Just double check which countries it will be good in.