MSC Divina USA Passport Requirment Help!

CruiserTB

Hey Everyone,

Hoping someone can confirm/help with the following. A person in my group just received notification that her passport application was rejected because the photo was not acceptable even though the post office took the photo. Anyway they're now telling her that even if she sends in a new photo, they can't guarantee that her passport will get here in time for our Aug. cruise.

They still have her original birth certificate.

We're on the MSC Divina and live in NJ so it looks like since it's a closed loop cruise she will only need a certified birth certificate and government ID. So I'm wondering if she goes to her city hall and gets a certified copy of her birth certificate, that along with her driver's license (just a regular one not enhanced) should be sufficient. Am I correct or am I missing something?

Hey Everyone,

Hoping someone can confirm/help with the following. A person in my group just received notification that her passport application was rejected because the photo was not acceptable even though the post office took the photo. Anyway they're now telling her that even if she sends in a new photo, they can't guarantee that her passport will get here in time for our Aug. cruise.

They still have her original birth certificate.

We're on the MSC Divina and live in NJ so it looks like since it's a closed loop cruise she will only need a certified birth certificate and government ID. So I'm wondering if she goes to her city hall and gets a certified copy of her birth certificate, that along with her driver's license (just a regular one not enhanced) should be sufficient. Am I correct or am I missing something?

The birth certificate needs to be the long form and have a raised seal. Also,,a certified copy of her marriage license or divorce decree,,if applicable. We are traveling in August as well and have not received our passports yet so we will use our drivers license and birth certificates,,

Edited by Mikesa1721

The birth certificate needs to be the long form and have a raised seal. Also,,a certified copy of her marriage license or divorce decree,,if applicable. We are traveling in August as well and have not received our passports yet so we will use our drivers license and birth certificates,,

Thank you! :D

• 3 months later...

some states do not offer birth certificates with raised seals any longer. This information is incorrect.

I obtained my birth certificate from SC and no raised seal. Only a watermark.

some states do not offer birth certificates with raised seals any longer. This information is incorrect.

I obtained my birth certificate from SC and no raised seal. Only a watermark.

im wrong I just checked my bc I felt the seal was raised. But it does have a watermark.

Have to say I find it very weird that anyone would accept a birth certificate as proof of ID for an adult for anything never mind leaving and re entering a country. They most certainly would not in the UK.

How on earth can they tell the birth certificate is yours? Someone could be easily using someone else's that is roughly the same age. Driving Licence with a photo on it, I get that as being acceptable in lieu of a passport but a certificate whether it has a seal or watermark or otherwise. All it proves is that someone by that name was born on that day in that place. It most certainly cannot prove that the person in possession of it is that same person named on it. I thought the US had tightened it's security? With the increased terrorist threats at home and overseas, it is in my view madness, that this is acceptable to travel.

The problem with non-standard, alternative forms of Identification is that while they are okay for closed-loop cruises in the Carribean, the IDs might not be recognized by an official in a country you are visiting. Let's say that you wish to rent a car, or perhaps you get into some minor legal problem, the local authorities will recognize an official passport, but more chance for problems with other local documents.

Heck, even President Obama had some challenges to his birth certificate.;)

Have to say I find it very weird that anyone would accept a birth certificate as proof of ID for an adult for anything never mind leaving and re entering a country. They most certainly would not in the UK.

How on earth can they tell the birth certificate is yours? Someone could be easily using someone else's that is roughly the same age. Driving Licence with a photo on it, I get that as being acceptable in lieu of a passport but a certificate whether it has a seal or watermark or otherwise. All it proves is that someone by that name was born on that day in that place. It most certainly cannot prove that the person in possession of it is that same person named on it. I thought the US had tightened it's security? With the increased terrorist threats at home and overseas, it is in my view madness, that this is acceptable to travel.

Hence you need a birth certificate AND state issued id. The DOB and name obviously have to match on both.

US Immigration allows folks to go on a closed loop voyage with just your birth certificate and government issued ID. However, you may be required by some countries in the Caribbean to have a passport. Our recent trip to Nassau, we had to take our passport with us and show it to the port authorities in order to get back on the ship. We were told specifically by the cruise line to take our passports. The immigration website says to call your cruise line and ask if it is needed at any stops. Depending on where you are going, if you don't have a passport, you may have to stay on board. From US Immigration:

"HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement. You should always check with your cruise ship, travel agent and or destination country to confirm the requirements for entry into the foreign countries you will be visiting. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) provides document requirements for entry into the United States only."