Hurricanes - Canada's East Coast

D999

I notice that Hurricane Bertha is heading North and will be east of Newfounland later in the week. This made me do some googling and it appears that this may not be unusual? Does anyone have experience of how predictable / rough the weather is in August/ September off the north east?

Thanks

D.

It is not unusual for tropical storms or hurricanes to travel up the East Coast to New England and the Canadian Maritimes. September is the peak of hurricane season, which runs from June through November. The number of storms each season varies widely from year to year.

Here are Atlantic hurricane tracking charts for 1995 - 2010 (click on a map to see full size):

http://weather.about.com/od/imagegallery/ig/Hurricane-Tracking-Maps/

(In 1954, Hurricane Hazel hit far inland - Toronto, Canada - as an extratropical but powerful storm.)

Typically storms lessen in intensity once they hit the colder water, but sometimes we get hit by a bigger one here in Nova Scotia. It is highly variable depending on water temperatures and how storms track. Not a big concern here, but I am sure that rough seas could be an issue. I think that ships are very good at staying away from the worst of it.

This is my favourite site for info about developing storms.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/