First cruise? Some advice:

Seago2

I just noticed that almost every thread on this page starts with "first cruise" :).

If this is your first cruise, the best advice is to go to the forum for your particular cruise line. Spend some time there clicking on threads, particularly on reviews (in the forum section, not the review section) even if they're not for your particular ship. You will learn a lot from reading the questions and answers there.

Also, there is a section called "Roll Calls." Find your cruise line, ship, and sailing date. Most people in the roll calls are trying to kill time before the cruise and will happily answer any questions you have.

Next, figure out which dates you will be in which ports. You can then google "port timetables". Figure out how many ships will be in port when you are. If there are six ships, it's going to be crowded and you might want to take a ship-based shore excursion. If there are few, or if your ship is the only one, look for independent tour operators or "just walk around"/"just go to the beach". The Ports of Call forums are amazing for instant help on everything in the ports. Really a great resource.

You will soon figure out everything you need. Keep a note on your phone, or make a list. What seems like a hundred questions now will be about five if you follow the above steps. And once you board there is not a lot to do- you will slip into a nice, relaxed mode. No one on board is expecting you to have a bunch of plans and to know where you're going. Plenty of time on board to make port plans and figure things out. If you bring nothing with you but clothes and toiletries you will be completely fine. Sometimes reading all of the lists of things you're "supposed" to bring will make you crazy. I don't bring 99% of the recommended things (duct tape, water, shoe holders, highlighters- :rolleyes:).

Good luck to you all!

Thanks for that I didn't no u could look up to see ur port and how many ships will be there,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think I can link the site here but it is cruise timetables dot com

I don't think I can link the site here but it is cruise timetables dot com

Ya I was on a site there a min ago, it's handy to know, I'm new to all this myself, we are going on the allure of the seas in May 2015,, I was never on any sort of cruise before only on irish ferries from Ireland to uk lol lol lol

Ya I was on a site there a min ago, it's handy to know, I'm new to all this myself, we are going on the allure of the seas in May 2015,, I was never on any sort of cruise before only on irish ferries from Ireland to uk lol lol lol

You're going to have a great time! Allure gets great reviews and she's got all the bells and whistles.