Best day to book Specialty restaurant

NavyCruiser

We've done one Specialty restaurant, on Princess, years ago, with just us two adults.

We've always enjoyed the MDR for all of our family dinners so far.

Now that our kids are older, looking to book one family Steakhouse dinner on the Magic later this month.

Our thoughts so far:

First night has free bottle of wine, but we want to go to MDR to meet our wait staff & get settled in first.

Second night is usually formal night & LOBSTER night!!! so will be in MDR.

Guess the rest of the nights are open for us...

So what's your opinion on the one best night out of 7 that you think is best night for Steakhouse?

Thanks,

We were just trying to figure this out for our sailing next week!

We have ATD, so are not as concerned about meeting wait staff, etc, since there are no guarantees that we'll be with the same team every night.

The free bottle of wine on embarkation night is a fun idea, but not if it's crappy wine :p

I would chose based on what you plan to do in specific ports - how tired are you going to be on a particular day? Will you have enough energy to enjoy the steakhouse? Look over your itinerary and see if you can make a guess based on that.

As for us, we will most likely go on the first night, or on a sea night.

just on the Pride with old menu and day four didnt look great to me so thats whan I did it, research your menu and decide a time. I did 630 and it had many empty tables. I waited till on board to do it and also had ATD

Edited by DaveRRT

To us, any night on the cruise is a good night for the steakhouse, or any other specialty restaurant the ship we're on may have that we're in the mood for.

Not real concerned with the wait staff..and we book ATD now for the flexibility. And Elegant night/lobster, you can have it..been there..done that...not impressed..very over-hyped on CC, but.....to each as they may. First night of cruise we don't book or reserve anything....we prefer a more relaxed take it as it comes way of spending our first day/night on the ship..we'll find a meal somewhere...have also heard that comp bottle of wine in steakhouse on that first night is not too great....but...ymmv

just on the Pride with old menu and day four didnt look great to me so thats whan I did it, research your menu and decide a time. I did 630 and it had many empty tables. I waited till on board to do it and also had ATD

I agree with looking at the menu ahead of time and deciding on a day the MDR doesn't look as appealing as the others. This should be pretty close to what you can expect, I think. http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/7dy_mdr_dinner.html

We tend to go later in the cruise, usually the 4th or 5th night.

I usually look for an earlier than usual departure time from port just for the little extra time it takes to get ready and stopping for pics. We also have tended to go at an earlier time (before 7pm) and the steakhouse has never been what I would call standing room only.

I'm doing it again on the 5th night on our upcoming cruise but I chose that night because it will be my sister's birthday.

But we do like to go a little later in the cruise, probably because we appreciate it a bit more after a few nights in the MDR. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the MDR. I just feel that it sometimes is a bit slow and it is next to impossible to get anything to drink.