guarantee rooms - upper & lower beds

cocoted

My sister and I are thinking of booking the Splendor in October. We'd like 2 twin beds, on the floor, as opposed to an upper & lower bed. If we book either an inside or ocean view guarantee rate do we run the risk of being assigned to a room with upper & lower beds?

I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I've been told by my PVP that if you book an inside guarantee, you can get an upper/lower. Also used a TA and they told me the same thing.

They are both misinformed.

My sister and I are thinking of booking the Splendor in October. We'd like 2 twin beds, on the floor, as opposed to an upper & lower bed. If we book either an inside or ocean view guarantee rate do we run the risk of being assigned to a room with upper & lower beds?

Inside guarantee is a "4A" or higher. A "1A" "bunkbed" cabin is a lower category. So you should get 4A or higher :)

There are only a few Cat. 1A cabins on each ship and they tend to be snatched up by solos and people wanting to put their teens in the cheapest room. Therefore, even if "technically" a Cat 1A is allowed to be used for a guaranteed reservation, the chances of them putting two women in one of them is slim or nil. Carnival does a very good job of look over reservations when selecting guarantee rooms, etc.

They are both misinformed.

This from Carnival's booking website:

Disclaimer

Guests who select the interior stateroom type may be assigned upper/lower accommodations. Guests who book Super Saver are not eligible for any price protection. This fare does not qualify for Early Saver price protection. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking. Guest selects stateroom type (e.g. interior, ocean view, balcony or suite), but Carnival assigns the deck and location of the stateroom. Stateroom assignment will be provided at the time of check in on embarkation day. No name changes are allowed. Click here for additional information and details.

You probably CAN be assigned a 1A (bunk-beds), but it isn't likely. Usually, the guarantees tend to be the rooms that are left over. 1As tend to go pretty quickly, as they're usually the cheapest rooms on the ship, so they aren't likely to be available when the guarantee room assignments are being made. I'd say you have a better chance of being upgraded to an ocean-view room than being assigned to a 1A interior room.

Edited by ldlewis45

I stand corrected then. Perhaps under certain circumstances it can technically be assigned. Never heard or read of this happening but I guess the PVP and T/A were correct.

Edited by AdGuyMG

On my last CCL sailing I met three separate people who booked a somewhat last minute 'Inside Guarantee', and were assigned an upper/lower 1A. Fantasy-class ship.

I agree that it is rather rare, and I do believe there is some 'manual' looking at the booking to determine further info on the occupants before being assigned to the 1A cabin, but it certainly CAN be selected for those passengers willing to take the chance on the less expensive booking option.

Edited by DGP1111

cocoted, I'm glad that the more recent posters beat me to it. With an inside guarantee, you definitely could get a 1A, and it's not as improbable as you might think. 1As do not book up that quickly. Every time I've had a 1A booked, there was still some available all the way up until about a month prior to cruising. I've gotten some nice price drops/OBC with those cruises. The nicer 1As can book up fairly quickly, but the basic 1As usually take awhile. What's odd is that with the sailings that I've had a 1A, the last remaining 1As seem to disappear from availability right around the time that Carnival is assigning rooms to guarantees. I'm sure that you're more likely to not get a 1A, but I wouldn't be thinking that it's highly unlikely.

Even before they started posting that disclaimer about possibly getting an upper/lower, Carnival would still assign people porthole rooms on Fantasy class ships. Category PT is considered to be lower than a 4A, so even before this time, it was not a minimum 4A. Maybe it used to be PT minimum, but it's now down to a 1A.

If you choose an oceanview guarantee, no worries at all. There are no upper/lowers with the oceanview (or above) categories. You'll have 2 twin beds.

Edited by k2excursion