Soot on the balcony??? Liberty OTS/RFS 8414

Last week, when they rolled out the "New and Improved" Kids Sale Free promotion, I upgraded my family of 5 from 2 connecting balcony staterooms to the Royal Family Suite (Cabin 8414) on the Liberty of the Seas for our cruise next summer. The family is very excited... however, in reading through cabin reviews, I am seeing information about soot covering the balconies aft of the ship, and that these balconies are in many cases, essentially unusable for most of the time due to the soot covering the balcony and furniture.

I figured that there are some CC'ers out there that have stayed in these cabins on Liberty OTS before. In fact, I am counting on the fact that someone has actually stayed in THIS room that can ease my mind and tell me if this is a valid thing for me to stress over (and I should change my room choice - AGAIN), or if this is not the case and/or that soot on the balcony is not a problem.

Any help from the 'peanut gallery' would be very appreciated... Thanks in advance.

Soot will land on your balcony if: wind conditions have the funnel's smoke blowing directly aft. If the wind is not directly off the bow, it is not a problem.

Royal was kind enough to provide us with instantly cleaning it the one day it occurred and we also got a very nice surpise with a very considerable credit towards our next cruise.

Our inconvenience lasted about 45 minutes. Sincerely believe the credit was because we did not have a meltdown at Guest relations, but were cordial about the whole thing.

For a cruise that has not happened there is no way to answer your question.

In the past there has been soot on aft balconies on freedom class. Its not anything to stress over or cancel or change your cabin again

Been in that cabin on both Liberty and Freedom and never had much of a soot problem.......maybe a smudge here or there, but nothing to complain about. You will love the cabin, and if the soot gets bad, just ask Guest Relations to send someone to clean it. I wouldn't even think of changing cabins as we experienced nothing of any magnitude.

Edited by billsgal

Soot will land on your balcony if: wind conditions have the funnel's smoke blowing directly aft. If the wind is not directly off the bow, it is not a problem.

Royal was kind enough to provide us with instantly cleaning it the one day it occurred and we also got a very nice surpise with a very considerable credit towards our next cruise.

Our inconvenience lasted about 45 minutes. Sincerely believe the credit was because we did not have a meltdown at Guest relations, but were cordial about the whole thing.

Thanks for your input, TEXASMUNK. I tend to stress about things before they happen (I guess you would call me a "worry-wart"), but then when something happens, especially on vacation, it doesn't phase me too much. I used to manage customer service, I know the stress of that kind of job and would try never to take any of my frustration out on them. I also know from experience that the RCCL Guest Services really does want to help if they can.

For a cruise that has not happened there is no way to answer your question.

In the past there has been soot on aft balconies on freedom class. Its not anything to stress over or cancel or change your cabin again

Setsail - I guess the problem starts when I start reading through reviews. I went back to some of them and realized that most were from 2009 and 2010. There doesn't seem to be as many after that timeframe for whatever reason. The folks that did mention soot on the balcony on the aft of Liberty also say that it was small amounts and only a day or two of the cruise. I guess I will just have to wait and see... If there is soot, we will just ask to have it cleaned up so we can enjoy the balcony.

Thanks for the input!

Been in that cabin on both Liberty and Freedom and never had much of a soot problem.......maybe a smudge here or there, but nothing to complain about. You will love the cabin, and if the soot gets bad, just ask Guest Relations to send someone to clean it. I wouldn't even think of changing cabins as we experienced nothing of any magnitude.

Billsgal - Thank you SOOO much for sharing your experience with this cabin. It really eases my mind!

I guess being from New Jersey, when I hear 'covered in soot' I think of an inch or two - you know like covered with snow... you know THAT is a 'covering' to us in the Northeast.

I will absolutely take your advise. We are all looking so forward this cruise in particular because we will have so many things to celebrate. It is just a bonus to be able to book a great suite for all of us to be comfortable with added luxuries like MDR room service menues, concierge lounge, the much sought after 'gold card' access, and double cruise points (which really doesn't matter to anyone in my house but me - LOL!). I guess soot on the balcony is really a 1st world problem that isn't a problem at all.

You will appreciate the RFS over the two connecting balconies... The bigger issue -experiencing the suite benefits will cost you in the long run! (On your next trip)

Tell me, AustinCruise... the 'suite life' really does have its privileges. DH and I took a very inexpensive "upgrade" to a Deluxe-Guarantee (W) on our Oasis cruise in November 2012, and got the upgrade of a lifetime to the Crown Loft Suite - can you say SPOILED!? I should have ran out and bought a lottery ticket then. :)

We've had some flakes of soot on both Navigator and Legend on the aft balcony. It depends on how strong the wind is and what direction it's coming from. There were a few chunks and you could see them clearly. If I was on the balcony in bare feet, I might put my shoes on if I saw some. Or not.

I certainly wouldn't lay towels over the balcony floor. Ickkkk! Would you put your own towels down in a situation like that? Thought not. Call your room steward if it's that much of a problem for you!

Soot is an issue on certain rear balconies during certain wind conditions

Just got to be careful what you put out there

Some ships defect the soot up better than others but they all at times get some soot come back down and settle on your balcony and anything on it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would say if the wind is blowing from the Aft toward the Bow and you have very little relative wind is when you have the problem. Edited by FLACRUISER99