Alaska with a Toddler

bcakes

We're considering booking a last minute trip to Alaska on either the Sun or Pearl with our almost 2 year old. I haven't kept up with NCL since our last cruise in 2011 when we didn't have a kiddo, so I'm hoping the folks here can provide some expert advice.

I was looking at the possibility of a Penthouse suite for the extra space. When I started my booking, NCL's website asked if I wanted to pay extra for butler and concierge service. Is that no longer included with suites? If so, what's the difference between the Penthouse and a mini-suite?

I'm also curious to hear from anyone who has taken a toddler on NCL especially to Alaska. I saw that there are a couple hours of toddler programs a day that we can take him to. Did your kids enjoy the shows and music? Dose the library have kids books?

Any suggestions for toddler friendly excursions. My son likes to be outdoors and is pretty happy as long as he's seeing something new. He especially enjoys animals. That said, is there enough to do on the ship on sea days to keep him happy?

Thanks in advance.

We're considering booking a last minute trip to Alaska on either the Sun or Pearl with our almost 2 year old. I haven't kept up with NCL since our last cruise in 2011 when we didn't have a kiddo, so I'm hoping the folks here can provide some expert advice.

I was looking at the possibility of a Penthouse suite for the extra space. When I started my booking, NCL's website asked if I wanted to pay extra for butler and concierge service. Is that no longer included with suites? If so, what's the difference between the Penthouse and a mini-suite?

I'm also curious to hear from anyone who has taken a toddler on NCL especially to Alaska. I saw that there are a couple hours of toddler programs a day that we can take him to. Did your kids enjoy the shows and music? Dose the library have kids books?

Any suggestions for toddler friendly excursions. My son likes to be outdoors and is pretty happy as long as he's seeing something new. He especially enjoys animals. That said, is there enough to do on the ship on sea days to keep him happy?

Thanks in advance.

Penthouse IS a suite... which includes butler & concierge. A mini-suite is nothing more than a larger balcony cabin, with a bathtub/shower... NO suite perks.

That's what I thought, which is why I was very confused when it asked if I wanted to pay $45 per person per day for butler and concierge service. I've sailed in suites before and wouldn't pay that much extra for those services since the only thing I use them for is soy milk for my cappuccino machine.

I think what you saw was the possibility of an upgraded Suite for $45.00 per person, per day. At the bottom of the window it always states that Butler and Concierge are included.

In other words, you were booking the Penthouse and it probably offered you an Owner Suite or 2BR Family Suite for $45.00 a day more.

Edited by GrabMyWrist

I think what you saw was the possibility of an upgraded Suite for $45.00 per person, per day. At the bottom of the window it always states that Butler and Concierge are included.

In other words, you were booking the Penthouse and it probably offered you an Owner Suite or 2BR Family Suite for $45.00 a day more.

That's an intriguing possibility. I would certainly feel fancy in an upgraded suite.

That's what I thought, which is why I was very confused when it asked if I wanted to pay $45 per person per day for butler and concierge service. I've sailed in suites before and wouldn't pay that much extra for those services since the only thing I use them for is soy milk for my cappuccino machine.

Perhaps you misread what was being offered? The usual notice is offering the next level of suite up from what you have for XX$ per person per day.

Either way, all full suites (including Penthouse Suites) receive butler and concierge service along with all the other suite perks. The only activities I know of for under 3 year olds is the daily play time with parents (used to be called the Under Two Zoo), not sure what it is now!

There are a ton of activities in Alaska as far as excursions, but you would have to check each one to see what they say about age limits. Enjoy your trip with your child!!

You are correct. After reading GrabMyWrist's post, I went back to the NCL booking site. The reason I was confused is because I was being offered an upgrade from a penthouse suite to a more expensive penthouse suite. They must use the same upgrade language for folks upgrading from other room categories, so it made it seem like the butler/concierge was something extra. I confirmed that the room category I was originally looking at actually does have all of the "extras" I would get with the upgrade -- so not much of an upgrade.

We took our 18 month old grandson on the Star a few years ago. There were his parents and both sets of grandparents so lots of babysitters. He and parents were in a family balcony room and liked it fine.

Didn't take him on long shore excursions like the train, etc. Didn't use the kid club at all. He had fun and so did we. Never took him to music or any of the evening shows. We just played games or talked to him.