Maasdam Cabin A050 Navigation Deck Please Help

source

:eek: Hi Guys......Please Help.........

We are booked on the Maasdam Canada/New England .....Booked Cat A Gty in February. Just got our cabin assignment .....Cabin A050

According to the chart, looks like this is the WORST possible cabin in this category. We are seasoned cruisers (45th) although first time on HAL but have sailed on their sister lines many times. How do we get this changed??? I know when you book a gty it's always a gamble but, we did book it 7 months in advance. We were told by HAL it's up to the travel agent who gets possible upgrading. I would think whoever books last gets the least popular cabin. (We are late sleepers and don't want to hear the chairs dragging on the pool deck nor the busboys with their carts next to our wall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The people who booked after you may have selected specific cabins, so you were assigned a cabin that was not selected. If you are absolutely set on changing it, I would suggest you contact your travel agent as soon as possible to see what can be done.

But I’d also suggest you re-consider your assumption that this is a terrible cabin. Location-wise, it looks rather advantageous to me. You are on a high deck so the view from your balcony will be sweeping. You are just a few steps from the aft pool deck (for sunning if it’s warm; as an added sightseeing vantage point if it’s cool), one flight of stairs up to the Lido buffet, a quick elevator ride or stairs directly down into the dining room. You are at the end of a little dead-end corridor, so you will not hear passengers passing your door.

As for possible outside noise, well, who knows? Maybe the hum of the engine coupled with walls thicker than you expected will combine to make it a quieter cabin than you are imagining. And I think on your itinerary there may not be so many people sunning as on a Caribbean cruise, anyway. But one never knows when noise will be a problem; for that reason I ALWAYS travel with gel earplugs, and suggest maybe they would be handy to have on hand.

Have a great cruise.

Carol Louise

Thanks for the positive thinking. It's encouraging. I have called our agent and of course their respose was ......well you booked a gty...........

We booked this cruise in February for a September cruise. At that time they only had gty available in this cat. We continued to check availability all the way through the middle of July. Some agencies were still selling thist gty cat.

My thinking (maybe I'm too logical) is that the cruise line would assign cabins according to time of booking. My agent states they have no control. The cruise line says the agent determines upgrades. we were lead to believe that the earlier you book the better the cabin. Wrong.........We could have waited

until 2 months prior to sailing. Well hopefully this will be an older crowd due to the itinerary. However, we have sailed to Alaska and the Panama Canal which is primarily an older crowd ...........dragging chairs from very early in the morning on pool deck as well as lido. I'll cross my fingers and maybe pick up some earplugs!:)

source: I am sorry that you feel that A050 is the worst possible cabin.

We were in A048, right next door, and loved it! It is very quiet, but extremely convenient to the aft staircase/elevators, giving easy access to the Lido and dining room. We have yet to notice any real difference in "the ride" between being aft, center or forward. The Navigation deck is very quiet.

If you still want a change, I hope you are successful; but if not, keep an open mind about A050. In any event, I wish you a great cruise! :)

Thanks Bill S.......we wanting to hear from someone who has been in the same vicinity of where we booked. Couldn't get much closer than next door. Was cabin A048 long and narrow? Looks like the cabins aft are not as wide as mid ship in this cat. Ship motion doesn't bother us (thanks to Bonine) . We cruise to relax and enjoy the scenery. We been on several ships where you can hear chairs been dragged in the very wee hours of the morning. We're not early risers. This is the one time when we don't have to get up to go to the office!:D

source: glad to help! I think that the all or most Cat A's on the Maasdam have same configuration/dimensions. I did not recall A048 being odd shaped or different from other Cat A's.

You will be far enough aft that you will not be under a lot of foot or chair traffic. I don't recall being awakened by any noises above the cabin in A048-another reason we liked it. After sailing in A048, we have sailed in similarly located cabins on other HAL ships and have A048 booked on the Statendam for our next cruise.

The A cabins look narrower on the diagram in relation to the nearby S cabins which are almost square; 500+ sq ft for S and 290+ sq ft for A. So yes, A cabins are long and narrow in comparison with S.

We've been in both categories, and A is very comfortable for 2 people. We were in an A for 35 days on the Rotterdam and had no cramping or storage problems. Oh, and the Verandas in A cabins are smaller.

GN

Archived