Fantasy vs the Ecstacy

CruzinScotty

This thread is not about which ship to take. It's about the condition and future of the two fine vessels.

I live in South Carolina and follow all Fantasy threads, though I've not had the pleasure of cruising on her yet. Maybe soon. ;)

I've heard rumors the Fantasy is for sale. How much is rumor and how much is fact? I know the Fantasy is the oldest ship in the fleet. If Carnival is ready to sell a ship, it makes sense to sell the oldest one.

If it sells, does that mean Carnival wants to move out of Charleston? I don't think so. Business is good, prices are often higher than other Fantasy-class ships. I believe it's the only Fantasy-class ship that still does 7 days cruises (8-10 a year). I see people compare Carnival pulling out of Charleston similar to what happened in Mobile. But, it seems the prices in Mobile were constantly being reduced to fill the ship whereas that doesn't seem to be the case with the Fantasy.

Is it possible that Carnival has realized it's maxed out on the number of ports that are profitable for it; including Charleston as a home port? Could it be they are planning ahead so that when the Vista is done they reposition another ship (probaby in the Fantasy class) to Charleston to make room for the Vista?

I tend to see comments about the Fantasy being old and out-dated, showing her wear, etc.

So, the Fantasy was built in 1990, the Ecstacy is the next oldeset at 1991. What condition is the Ecstacy in? Is it the same? It's only one year newer.

I'm curious if the talk about the Fantasy is truly the condition of the ship or just because it's the oldest in the fleet and the rumor of it's sale? Or...... are the issues some people have with the port of Charleston effecting their judgement?

Thoughts?

Edited by CruzinScotty

Fantasy is a great ship. She is unlike her sisters. She has many updated public areas. Gone is a lot of the Vegas decor. Her promenade deck and lido resturant are two great examples of upgraded decor. In fact the people who designed breeze and sunshine did some of the upgraded decor on the fantasy. She does not show her age at all IMHO. As far as her Bering for sale. 100% rumor. Nothing official has ever been released. Somebody posted a shady website designed in 1995 that had it listed. But nothing has been proved. My gut tells me charleston may get a conquest class ship if and when the fantasy is retired. It will not get vista.

Thanks for the info. I know Charleston wouldn't get the Vista. It wouldn't be a good fit, too big.

I'd love any larger ship in Charleston that has more balconies. But, until the cruise terminal/embarkation/debarkation issues some have are resolved, I don't think Carnival will be able to justify bringing in a larger ship.

I just got off the Ecstasy, this morning. Considering her age, and that she is due for a dry dock later this year, I had some reservations, going into this cruise, but let me say I was really surprised at how well this ship looked. She was in better shape than the Monarch and Majesty were in our 06 and 08 cruises respectively...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't been on the Ecstasy but I have been on the Fantasy and the Sensation which I think was built in 1993. I would say the Fantasy is in much better shape. Sensation was just so purple!

When Carnival transferred the Holiday class the oldest went last. I would think they would sell/transfer paradise/elation first since they don't have the upgrades the other 6 do. Just my opinion though

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In regards to the Elation and Paradise. I would expect them to be in the fleet for quite a while. I have a feeling these two ships will get a full 2.0 makeover with a large waterworks park like the Sunshine has. I have always thought it was odd they didn't get the evolutions of fun makeover and thought maybe Carnival was holding out for something bigger and better for these two ships.

In regards to the Elation and Paradise. I would expect them to be in the fleet for quite a while. I have a feeling these two ships will get a full 2.0 makeover with a large waterworks park like the Sunshine has. I have always thought it was odd they didn't get the evolutions of fun makeover and thought maybe Carnival was holding out for something bigger and better for these two ships.

I agree

• 8 months later...