Dream Royal Suite

PhotoGal07

We are lucky enough to be travelling in the Roy Disney Suite on the Dream this Sept. We will be traveling with with our 4 year old DD and 1 year old DS.

1). Where is the best place to put a pack n play? Any thoughts?

2). How big is that nook to the side of the bed with the little couch? Does anyone have any pics?

Thank you!

Ah, the headaches and heartaches of the biggest suite on the ship. It seems so ironic to have to figure out where to put the Pack and Play. In a regular cabin, it is more like "is there enough room to walk around this thing? And DCL cabins are bigger than most other lines.

:D. It's a rough life!

I know it will all work out, I'm just having one of those moments of panic. Traveling with a baby always makes things interesting. He actually does better if he can sleep near his sister, which is why I was wondering about that little nook off the main bedroom. She happily sleeps on the floor with pillows and blankets, so if we could set them both up there, that would be ideal.

From all the pictures and layouts I've seen, there really doesn't appear to be much space where you're thinking of putting the kids.

I've said it before, and will say it again, I think Disney really messed up with the new suites. They aren't nearly as family-friendly as the ones on the Magic and Wonder. I know the hot tub on the balcony is nice (had one on NCL once and filled with cold water on a hot Caribbean cruise....heaven!!) but the rest of it....no thanks.

From all the pictures and layouts I've seen, there really doesn't appear to be much space where you're thinking of putting the kids.

I've said it before, and will say it again, I think Disney really messed up with the new suites. They aren't nearly as family-friendly as the ones on the Magic and Wonder. I know the hot tub on the balcony is nice (had one on NCL once and filled with cold water on a hot Caribbean cruise....heaven!!) but the rest of it....no thanks.

I agree. We will probably cruise on NCL later. They have a lot of perks, and more family friendly suites. But this is a family reunion trip, and the line that was picked was Disney. Shrug. Easy enough to have a good time with Disney, like I said, I'm sure it will work out and we will have a blast. But I love the layout of the NCL 2 bedroom suites.

I agree. We will probably cruise on NCL later. They have a lot of perks, and more family friendly suites. But this is a family reunion trip, and the line that was picked was Disney. Shrug. Easy enough to have a good time with Disney, like I said, I'm sure it will work out and we will have a blast. But I love the layout of the NCL 2 bedroom suites.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't putting Disney down....as Moki'sMommy said, the classic ships (Magic and Wonder) have some GREAT rooms for families. I was just really hoping that when DCL had the chance while building two new ships, they would have followed NCL more closely, and made MORE two bedroom suites, not less.

We sailed Alaska on the Pearl in a 2 bedroom, and I can do nothing but rave about the whole experience. The room, the service, the Haven, the whole ship!!

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't putting Disney down....as Moki'sMommy said, the classic ships (Magic and Wonder) have some GREAT rooms for families. I was just really hoping that when DCL had the chance while building two new ships, they would have followed NCL more closely, and made MORE two bedroom suites, not less.

We sailed Alaska on the Pearl in a 2 bedroom, and I can do nothing but rave about the whole experience. The room, the service, the Haven, the whole ship!!

I didn't think you were. Each line meets different needs, and I have heard nothing but good things about Disney's customer service.

Do you have a review of your Alaska trip, I'd love to read it. I'd like to wait a couple more years to take the kids to Alaska, but there's no harm in a little research ;).

Edited by darkpixie08

I didn't think you were. Each line meets different needs, and I have heard nothing but good things about Disney's customer service.

Do you have a review of your Alaska trip, I'd love to read it. I'd like to wait a couple more years to take the kids to Alaska, but there's no harm in a little research ;).

I didn't write a review, just took tons of pictures. We waited until our kids were older, too. And it was a good decision. If they'd been under the age of 10, I think they would have been bored.

We did Alaska last year--sorry, didn't do a review. TONS of available excursions, amazing scenery. Really a great cruise. If you want kids to remember it, wait till they are a bit older. If it is really a parent vacation with kids along, any age will do.

I can see by the posts that people feel other lines offer better options for 2 room and/or suites for families. That may be the case. But, DCL offers better rooms for the masses than other lines. That is what keeps me on DCL and off the others. We don't need the extra space of the suites for just the two of us. But unless you have the money to upgrade to suites on those lines, the standard rooms are much smaller, the showers are holes in the floors instead of bath tubs in just one bathroom area, over all far less space.

So even though we have no kids, we'll keep going on DCL. There is also something to be said for 4 ships with similar layouts. Its like going to your favorite hotel over and over.

I can see by the posts that people feel other lines offer better options for 2 room and/or suites for families. That may be the case. But, DCL offers better rooms for the masses than other lines. That is what keeps me on DCL and off the others. We don't need the extra space of the suites for just the two of us. But unless you have the money to upgrade to suites on those lines, the standard rooms are much smaller, the showers are holes in the floors instead of bath tubs in just one bathroom area, over all far less space.

So even though we have no kids, we'll keep going on DCL. There is also something to be said for 4 ships with similar layouts. Its like going to your favorite hotel over and over.

Completely agree--a "normal" cabin on DCL is 30-50% larger than a similar category on the other lines we've cruised. Some of the other lines are playing catch up on their newer ships, but standard cabins on their older ships are little more than holes in the wall. As above, the shower and split bath are another plus as is the quality of the lighting in the cabins. Yes, we definitely like the Disney standards for their cabins.

I think the concern on this thread is the two bedroom suites on the newer ships--they sleep fewer people and are just not as good a layout as on the "classic" ships. Of course, if we didn't know what was available on the classics, we'd probably all think the new suites are fine.

Completely agree--a "normal" cabin on DCL is 30-50% larger than a similar category on the other lines we've cruised. Some of the other lines are playing catch up on their newer ships' date=' but standard cabins on their older ships are little more than holes in the wall. As above, the shower and split bath are another plus as is the quality of the lighting in the cabins. Yes, we definitely like the Disney standards for their cabins.

I think the concern on this thread is the two bedroom suites on the newer ships--they sleep fewer people and are just not as good a layout as on the "classic" ships. Of course, if we didn't know what was available on the classics, we'd probably all think the new suites are fine.[/quote']

There are no two bedroom suites on the newer ships. Only the Royal Suites and one bedrooms. And the Royals don't have a 2nd bedroom. So when comparing suites, the Dream and Fantasy suites are nowhere near as family friendly as the suites on NCL are. I truly believe Disney did this on purpose, to force families into getting two staterooms, where they could charge four adult rates, as opposed to only two adults + kids in a larger suite.

Our mini-suite on the (older) Norwegian Dawn last January was only 3 sq feet smaller than a standard Cat 4 on Disney. It had a bath tub and the toilet wasn't totally in its own room, but it did have a door. I can't imagine sharing a stateroom with someone, if you were too shy to have them be in the same general area in the bathroom. :confused: On the Dawn, I cruised with a female friend, and she could be taking a shower, brushing her teeth, whatever...if I was in the toilet area, and we couldn't see eachother. What I'm saying is that if we didn't feel comfortable enough with that situation, we wouldn't be sharing a stateroom in the first place.

See my previous post. Sizes are not all that different, and for the savings, it just doesn't make sense.

I NEVER use a bath tub in a hotel or on a ship. I just can't make myself sit down in a tub that thousands of other people have used, no matter how much I think it might be disinfected. In fact, the only thing we've ever used the tub for on a cruise is to rinse out our snorkel & dive gear.

And again, a suite or mini-suite, most of the time on another line is cheaper than a standard Cat 4 or 5 on Disney anyway.