Air Tahiti Nui Question?

MHandel

Does anyone know what the cost of a business or first class upgrade is these days? I am assuming at this point (I fly in 2 weeks for the PG)I would have to get to the airport early and hope to get an upgrade...we also have tons of frequent flyer miles on a credit card - does anyone know if they will let us use them to upgrade our seats?

Thanks for your help... Also does anyone know the average cost of the "black" pearls... are they priced pretty much the same from shop to shop or do you really need to shop around for the best price?

Depending on your home port location, the upgrade is very expensive. For example, a fare from San Francisco is $379 coach, around $2700 business class and $3300 first (although I don't remember both first and business on Air Tahiti Nui, only business). They don't participate in any frequent flyer program that I could find (other than maybe their own) and so upgrading is impossible. Also, you find some big wigs and celebrities going, they will naturally sit in business as the back is really a cattle car. Nothing can make a 8 1/2 hour flight from LA comfortable as far as I'm concerned. The food is okay, however, as plane food goes, and they offered free booze even in coach.

As for the pearls, we priced them everywhere on the island. While fun to buy on a cruise, go check out Costco warehouse store. The quality is similar and 1/2 the price of the best price you can find on the islands. Of course, you won't have nearly the selection, but they do have necklaces and ear rings and rings. Good luck!

Wayne

Disney Magic - 10 Day - December 18, 2004

Royal Carribean Grandeur of the Seas - Western Carribean April 10, 2004

Radisson Mariner - Alaska June 03

Celebrity Mercury - CA Coast April 03

Radisson PG - Tahiti August 02

Disney Wonder - Bahamas April 02

Carnival Holiday - Mexico April 00

Carnival Elation - Mexico August 99

NCL - Mexico April 95

Paquet Dolphin July 82

My understanding is the upgrade is $600 pp one way. My TA told me we could use AA miles to upgrade - I think she said it would be 75,000 miles for the upgrade and I am guessing that would be roundtrip pp. I would contact your TA and try to do the upgrade now - I don't believe the price changes and seats do fill up.

The PG's gift shop has some wonderful black pearl jewelry, and the company that supplies the PG gift shop also has a nice shop on Moorea. After looking at several places, I fell in love with a gorgeous pendant at their shop on Moorea and made the purchase. Am I prohibited from naming the company on this board? If not, I'll be glad to pass it along. I think their jewelry is superior to the other shops, and that's why the PG carries it.

Here is Ngaire's primer on shopping for Tahitian pearls:

BLACK PEARL SHOPPING

Black Pearl shopping is available in numerous shops in Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti. I did not have an opportunity to shop in Tahiti and cannot report on the shops in Papeete. They are basically the same shops on all the islands.

BORA BORA

In Bora Bora most of the shops are right off the dock within walking distance from where the tender drops you at the pier. Some of these shops also have shops on Moorea and will transfer any pearl you have an interest in to the Moorea shop so you may have more time to make a decision. (The store flies the pearl in on one of the flights going back and forth all the time.)

MOOREA

When you get off the tender in Moorea, there are private drivers from many of the pearl shops waiting in the parking lot, and they will take you to the pearl shops free of charge.

Price of the Pearls. Price for one pearl varies tremendously, as low as $200 and up to the $1000’s. The average cost for a nice pearl set in gold with maybe one small diamond is $1500-$2000.

Key stores for black pearls and comparing shops. One thing I did learn was that the prices and colors really do differ. It is probably best to shop at several places to find your own personal preference and what prices are. Many of the shops were willing to negotiate on final price. Many people bought pearls and everyone thought “their†shop was the best. Many feel that the price of black pearls is cheaper in French Polynesia because the majority of them (over 95%) are produced here. There are certain criteria that most of the shops agree determine the price of the pearl: size, shape, surface quality, and luster.

Black Pearl Gem Company in La Petite Village: has such a taxi and there are also other pearl shops and souvenir shops you can visit while you're there, and they will transport you back to the dock free of charge. It takes approximately 30 minutes in each direction or 1 hour round trip, so plan accordingly.

Hermans: La Petite Village: We found really good prices here this last trip. I recommend you checking this store. They are “supposed†to be wholesalers.

Sibani Pearls is the store that has pearls on the ship. The store does a presentation board that gives you information and shows a film. This takes place the second day at 9:45am in the main lounge on the way to Taha'a. However, it is a sales pitch for their stores and their certificate “The Beep Certificate.†This is a good store, as are the others mentioned above. As I mention below, they all have their own certificates.

Shopping center to the left of the docks. Walking distance or free shuttles.

Ron Hall’s store is to the left of the parking lot. It is about a 5-minute walk or he also has a free shuttle.

Hevai’s store is about a 15- minute walk to the right or they have a free shuttle.

PSBP – Pacific Style Black Pearls. This store has some really unique designs. They do their own jewelry and there were unique pieces in this shop.

Telling one pearl from another.

Size: 8-10 mm seem to be more common; those above 11 mm rise dramatically in price because they are more rare.

Shape: The more rare and more expensive shape is round. Semi-round or other shapes are less expensive.

Grading: Black pearls are graded for surface quality using a scale from A to D. An “A grade†pearl is supposed to have less than 10% surface imperfections and in many instances cannot be seen because they mount them where the imperfections are. A “B grade†is less than 1/3, “C grade†less than 2/3, and a “D grade†more than 2/3. I found that you have to somewhat judge for yourself. I was shown a pearl from a very popular shop where the salesperson stated it was an “Aâ€, and when I began to point out the flaws, he agreed it was a “B†which can greatly effect the price. Then a bought a “C†that looked better than the “Bâ€.

Luster: Luster is simply the shine on the pearl. This is easy to determine just by placing pearls side by side. Some seem lifeless and others really shine.

Color: There is no one color seen to be more desirable. This is really a matter of personal preference. Pearls are often multicolored with metallic steel gray the most common. The color is determined by the oyster’s secretions and can range from gray to pink to blue to green or eggplant.

Certificates. Every shop has its own certificates. There is no government standard, so the certificate simply states that it is a black pearl and that particular shop’s certification as to the quality and size of the pearl. Since there is no standard, there is no certificate that is better than another.

VAT TAX (Value Added Tax). There is a tax called VAT that you pay at the time of purchase. The shop will give you a certificate and a self-addressed stamped envelope you take to the airport. You turn it in at the airport right after you go through security before you check your bags. There is a customs officer you give the certificate to. The Customs Officer will ask to see the pearl so make sure you have it readily available and don’t have to search for it in your luggage. He simply looks at the pearl and certificate, stamps the form, and you place the envelope in the mailbox he directs you to there at the airport. Three to four weeks after the purchase, the tax will be credited or refunded to your credit card.

Getting the VAT tax up front. I found several shops were willing to refund the tax at the point of purchase if you would commit to following the procedure at the airport so they would not in essence pay twice. At the shop I finally purchased from I was not offered this, but asked if they would refund it at point of sale. He was very reluctant but when I told him he would have my credit card and could charge me if I did not turn the form in, he finally agreed and did not charge me the tax at the time of sale. Either way, you still have to turn the form in at the airport. It did not take much time since I had the form and pearl together and got right through.

Loose Pearls or Set Pearls? If you purchase a pearl that has not been set, then you do not get the VAT tax back – it is non-refundable. On the other hand, the gold and diamonds are overpriced in Tahiti and the cost is higher than you would pay at home for the setting. Most people still seemed to buy set pearls – it is easier and you can wear it right away. There were a lot of pearls at dinner the last night leaving Moorea. In the end, it all boils down to what you like and when you feel comfortable with your purchase. Many people purchase pearls and they truly are all beautiful.

Air Tahiti Nui participates in the American Airlines program ONLY for redeeming of a free award seats. These are pretty hard to get. You CANNOT upgrade a coach ticket to business with miles nor can you earn miles when flying on Air Tahiti Nui.

The fare through RSSC to upgrade a coach ticket to business is $1895 round trip. You can always try for a standby seat. Arrive at the airport early and ask if you can go standby business. The fare changes with the wind but normally around $600.00. Sometimes it is available and sometimes it is not.

Coach is coach but I have travelled Air Tahiti Nui in coach many times. I think it is better than most coach flights, the food has been acceptable (still airplane food but better than most American airlines) they do have open bar and there is a TV in the back of every seat. The stewardesses and stewards are usually very nice and charming.

You all have given my such great info. Thanks for all the detail on the pearls, my husband will greatly appreciate it if I can drag him to as few stores as possible icon_smile.gif!!

Thanks all! Anything else I should know about the PG before I begin my last minute trips to the store and all the packing??

I love this board but it is becoming a little addictive for me.

Thanks again, Michelle.

Archived