eDocs - Should I be worried?

eptice

I know that I am WAY too early to be super worried, but I have a concern and want to know more experienced people's advice.

I am on the NCL Jade Oct. 4-11 and my cruise is 57 days away. DW and I are both checked in 100% and paid in full. I even called NCL to double check and make sure everything is complete, and they confirmed.

However, my eDocs are still not downloadable/printable in Vacation Summary on the website.

One last note, I did book through a TA (Orbitz). I am wondering if this has anything to do with it?

How concerned should I be?

Thank you all!

ok, not sure if this helps but...did you book a specific cabin? Sometimes guarantees take longer to get assigned. I generally book through NCL so I'm not sure if using a site like orbitz makes any difference. I know my edocs were available way ahead of time- I booked a specific cabin (actually had to reprint my edocs since we ended up with an upgrade :D) and everyone was 100% checked in. You may want to call them back and ask if there is a reason why.

You may be part of a "group" whether you know it or not considering where you booked. Sometimes group edocs are not finalized until 30 days out. As stated above if you did not book a particular cabin (Gty) your edocs may not be ready until one is assigned. I would call the company you booked with to find out.

It all depends on your agent and their payment to NCL. I've just had my edocs released for my cruise in 4wks time (yes 28 days). Every single cruise with NCL despite me having paid in full months ago they are released 4wks before.

The Reason:

Whilst I've paid in full my agent has a credit agreement for x cabins which gets settled 4wks before each cruise.

Should also add this is how some agents can offer cheaper rates. They often ask for full balance weeks/months before NCL require payment. They (the agent) then hold your money in a nice interest earning account.

Imagine just a few hundred bookings at cpl thousand each balance :D

I can't say anything about the European market but in North America the travel agent should NEVER be holding your money.

A couple of years ago there was a large agency that was doing just that and some people were finding out too late that their final payment to the Cruise Line had never been made. Whenever I make a booking not directly with a cruise line I specifically ask who will be doing the billing to my credit card. I want to be assured that even if the TA were to go belly up I will still be going on my cruise.

Rochelle

I can't say anything about the European market but in North America the travel agent should NEVER be holding your money.

A couple of years ago there was a large agency that was doing just that and some people were finding out too late that their final payment to the Cruise Line had never been made. Whenever I make a booking not directly with a cruise line I specifically ask who will be doing the billing to my credit card. I want to be assured that even if the TA were to go belly up I will still be going on my cruise.

Rochelle

Guess it's different rules in America. But in the UK I get two invoices, one from my TA with due date for balance about 12wks before and one from NCL with balance due about 4-5weeks before sail date.

And when I enquired about edocs was told the reason why they hold the money.

We have ABTA and ATOL which covers any monies held by the TA before they pay the cruise line in case of insolvency.

Edited by Single Cruiser

There are large online travel agencies in US that bill customer directly instead of passing payment information to the cruise line - I know because our first cruises were booked through one. Our current TA in US does the right thing and just passes the info to NCL.

What comes to non-payments to cruise line, what was the large agency you are talking about, any news reference or something? I know of one pretty recent case in Florida but it was one man show even though he had numerous clients.

Edited by Demonyte

There are large online travel agencies in US that bill customer directly instead of passing payment information to the cruise line - I know because our first cruises were booked through one. Our current TA in US does the right thing and just passes the info to NCL.

What comes to non-payments to cruise line, what was the large agency you are talking about, any news reference or something? I know of one pretty recent case in Florida but it was one man show even though he had numerous clients.

The company I was referring to was a Florida agency. They did take the customers money and did not make final payment to the cruise line. This agency was robbing Peter to pay Paul. Many people were affected by it. I was following along on the Holland America boards. A woman who had booked and paid this agency almost lost out on her extended cruise on a Grand Voyage. Here is a link to the thread containing her experience (it is long);

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1025166&highlight=kween+karen

This was not the potential loss of a couple of thousand dollars. This was a substantial outlay for a dream once-in-a-lifetime holiday. A vacation nightmare. Travel agents should be processing your payments directly through the cruise line, who will then later pay them their commission/fees. After following this persons woes I personally always ask where my payment is going when booking though a TA. If they plan for my money to go through their agency I move along and take my business elsewhere.

Not sure if this is the same agency you heard about and have no idea how often something like this happens but once would be too many times for me. We as consumers can never be too informed.

Rochelle

Hello All,

Since there were several ideas thrown my way, I decided to call, my TA just to make sure everything was good.

Well, Basically they had never paid NCL my $250 deposit, so NCL still thought I owed, therefore I could not see eDocs. It was a simple accounting error

Thanks for all those who said to call, because if I had not called, the issue would not have been resolved! I appreciate your help!

Edited by Host Star

Hello All,

Since there were several ideas thrown my way, I decided to call my TA just to make sure everything was good.

Well, Basically they had never paid NCL my $250 deposit, so NCL still thought I owed, therefore I could not see eDocs. It was a simple accounting error on Orbitz end.

Thanks for all those who said to call Orbitz, because if I had not called, the issue would not have been resolved! I appreciate your help!

Glad to hear it's sorted. So out of curiosity how long ago did you pay them your deposit?

Edited by Host Mama

Hello All,

Since there were several ideas thrown my way, I decided to call my TA just to make sure everything was good.

Well, Basically they had never paid NCL my $250 deposit, so NCL still thought I owed, therefore I could not see eDocs. It was a simple accounting error on **** end.

Thanks for all those who said to call ****, because if I had not called, the issue would not have been resolved! I appreciate your help!

Interesting. I booked direct and have an unassigned gty booking. For now I will assume it is the gty slowing down my edocs. If get substantailly past the 30 day threshold without e-docs, I'll call, too. Thanks for sharing the outcome.

BTW, we are not allowed to refer to travel agencies by name on these boards. You may want to hit the triangle symbol in your posts heading and ask the moderator to **** out the agency's name.

Edited by Host Mama