Anyone doing any of the World Cruise segments 2005?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by petlover:

I'd love to hear if anyone is planning any (or all) of the 2005 segments of the World Cruise on the Voyager. Anyone?

_Marcie_

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jan/2004166967450561983036.jpg

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marcie

2004166967450561983036.jpg

My husband and I are doing the 1st. part, from L.A. to Auckland. Wish I could talk him into doing the total world cruise. We did a segment on the Navigator 2 years ago and that was 27 days, he said never that long again. So guess part of it is better than none at all. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Sandy,

I'm thrilled to hear that you're on our first segment!! I'm curious as to why your husband thought 27 days was too long?? Was it being away from home,pets,work for so long or too many sea days or what? This will be our first (and likely our last) LONG cruise!

I'm looking at this as a once in a lifetime opportunity while we're still young enough and healthy enough to enjoy.

Marcie

Marci,

He really loves the sea days, but he owns a business that he just doesn't like to be away from for too long. Also, we have our two little furry babies that don't like us to be away at all. We winter in Az. and our daughter lives here, so we feel much better that she takes care of them. Otherwise we might never leave home, our one little guy is diabetic and requires a shot twice a day.

We cruise a lot, but usually for no more than 2-weeks. We had booked the P.G. for 3-weeks in Nov., but when this segment of the world cruise came about, we cancelled the P.G. and decited to do this. We have never been to New Zealand, so I think we are going to stay there about a week after we leave the ship.

Sometimes I think our friends wonder why we go so much, but I'm like you, one never knows what tomorrow may bring, and right now our health is good, and maybe the day will come when it won't be, and I'll be darned if I set around and wait for that to happen....Sandy icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Sandy, I love you attitude! Looking forward to meeting you!

What is with all these poor diabetic doggies lately...the Kimmi's are in the same boat with their little Heidi...shots twice a day! BTW, being away from our 2 dogs and 3 cats is my biggest concern! Furry children count too!!

Marcie

Well, as it happens, yesterday we not only booked the entire World Cruise, but we also booked the pre-cruise (Ft.Lauderdale to L.A.). That makes it 124 days in all. We did half the world cruise in 2003 on the Mariner, 55 days and loved every minute of it. We've done about 30 cruises, with many other cruise lines, but non of them compare to Radisson. (Don't tell them I said so, they'll raise the price.

Hi again Marcie,

I think I talked to you on the other board.

Yes, we're going. For us the itinerary is very good. We live in Seattle and will spend XMAS here and then board in LA. But we also have a condo in Florida directly west of Ft. Lauderdale on the Gulf coast. So we'll disembark and spend some time there.

I'm watching all the boards I can find, to pick up any info that might help. But I've no doubt the trip will be fantastic. We'd be happy if it were even LONGER! Our biggest problem will be missing the grandkids -- trying to get my son to agree to ship them to Hong Kong for a few days, but I doubt that will fly ... Personally, I think 3 and 5 is plenty old enough for a solo trip to the other side of the world to see Grandma and Grandpa!

I'm really curious to see how many of us there will be on the whole thing.

Betty

Betty, no grandkids yet but I'm sure going to miss my 2 dogs and 3 cats!! Oh how I wish I could smuggle them onboard. It's exciting finding out that several people will be on at least some of our segments including Ngaire and Ken. As time gets closer, I'll have to put together a "guest list" so we can all connect on board.

We board in Los Angeles...very convenient for us!

Marcie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bettywh:

And of course, I will be on board, at least in spirit.

Bye Bye<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

87.jpg

Bye Bye

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I'm checking out all of the world cruises. And I'm curious, why did you choose Radisson instead of, say, HAL?

High Desert

Rhapsody 12/01

Vision 4/02

Grandeur 11/02

Rhapsody 1/04

Infinity 12/2004

We did actually look at the HAL trip. We rejected it for two basic reasons.

First, we were told by two separate couples whose opinions we trust that the Prinsendam just isn't a great ship. Apparently despite its refurbishment, it's still somewhat dated and worn. Second, in November we took our third (and last) HAL trip. Not that they did anything wrong. It was on the Zuiderdam. The ship was quite new and the spaces were very nicely done. But we simply hate 'masses of asses'. The Prinsendam is smaller than the Zuiderdam, but we also dislike the constant signing of chits for every little thing. With each experience on SilverSea, RSSC, and A&K we've increasingly realized how much more we like the all-inclusive approach.

The world cruise is a major expenditure for us. We wanted to do it in a way we were sure we'd be comfortable and happy. That was RSSC not HAL. We'd have considered SilverSea if they had a real world cruise, but their 2005 trip goes from CA to Mexico then around South America (we've already done that) and across to the Mediterranean. RSSC had the itinerary we wanted.

Don't know if these reasons are relevant to you, but they were why we chose the RSSC trip!

Betty

Many thanks for your answers. One thin that surprised me was that HAL seemed to be priced higher than RSSC. Maybe I'm mis-reading it. Also, were you (or are you) worried about going through the Suez Canal?

High Desert

Rhapsody 12/01

Vision 4/02

Grandeur 11/02

Rhapsody 1/04

Infinity 12/2004

Every one has to be comfortable in their own mind with the Suez Canal portion. It is a very popular segment and I am going on that segment. I really want to go to Luxor and prefer to do this with the ship as a base rather than a land trip. I have a friend that just returned from Egypt on a land trip and she had a wonderful time. She felt quite comfortable there. We all have our own opinions about travelling at these times to different destinations. No one is right and no one is wrong. Just different perceptions of risk.

I always say driving in a car with my husband behind the wheel in heavy traffic is more dangerous than flying or visiting almost any place that tourists still go in the world.

I totally agree with Ngaire. You can't live your life worrying about 'possible' danger. I trust that RSSC will re-route if the need arises. We've already been through the Red Sea and the Suez, but unfortunately missed Luxor due to (horrible!) weather. We still want to go there. We've still not been to Turkey, which is also on this itinerary (and politically of question).

We are already assuming that the published itinerary for the World Cruise may not be what's currently posted. More Adventure!! Maybe they'll end up in South Africa -- another place we still want to see!!

However, I know my attitude is away from the norm -- I went to Croatia in the middle of their war, went to the USSR when it WAS the USSR, and visited China as far back as 1984. Certainly there were 'interesting' experiences, but that's what made the trips some of my most fascinating. I've found that what one sees in the general news is NOT what the usual tourist experiences. Certainly, common sense is always necessary. But (to me!) worrying about possibilities beyond that would just keep me from visiting the places I'm eager to see.

I've always said I'd rather die because my parachute didn't open than die in bed.

Betty

We went the first time through the Suez Canal and the Red Sea in November 2000, right after the Cole Ship bombing in Yemen.We just went through the second time a couple of months ago.Not only were there no problems with our passing through, I haven't heard about any problems there since the Egyptian/Israeli war in the 50's. We stopped in Safaga last March but we didn't go to Luxor because we had already been there twice. However, we will surely go there again on our upcoming World Cruise. We know that if Radisson is in charge of the tour it will be a winner. If you are not familiar with the routine, we go from Safaga to Luxor in a 8 or 9 bus convoy, flanked in the front and back by an armed vehicle. Egypt wants no incident like the one they had a few years ago with the German tourists in Luxor. It's bad for their economy to lose tourism.

Betty, I finally see something I can't agree with you on. I'd much rather die in bed than go plunging to my death with an unopen parachute.

Archived