Looking for info from Gate 1 past and present cruisers

travelling fools

We have never heard of Gate 1 before but are looking at Budapest to Nuremberg with extensions to Prague,Dresden and Berlin next Sept. On the Sound of Music.

We are looking for reviews and comments on company,ship and itinerary.

Also if anyone is looking for referral points etc we would be glad to use your name and number at booking.email london1926@yahoo.ca

Click on your search tab and type Gate 1 - there are several reviews. I haven't read a thing negative yet. All of the reviews I have been reading this year are of the Yangzte River cruise with Victoria Cruise Lines or Century Cruises - both through Gate 1 tours.

We are booked to leave in three months ~ our first Gate 1 tour and river cruise. I've found a few helpful travel blogs via Google for Gate 1 also ~ again, all good. On the Gate1 website is a link at the top to "Community" and then "Forums" ~ lots of helpful info there. I read it every week.

So far, most Gate 1 clients have the same "complaints" I have ~ you don't get your travel documents until about a week before you leave regardless if you are paid-in-full and you can't pick your air seat assignments. We have a 13 hour flight so I'm not happy about that. I just did the research and the math tonight and we could've booked the same flight with a bit longer land tour for a total of $4600 (max) out of pocket and instead we booked the combo air/land with Gate 1 - total out of pocket is just over $4600. If we are able to get the seats I want, I'm not going to care about this detail. If not, I think I would reconsider booking through a tour company again and/or I'd book my own air. I've read this about a lot of tour companies that offer air - everyone has the same complaint so I should've known.

Anyway, I hope you find the answers you are looking for ~ most everything I've read so far about the company has been good.

Edited by CupKayke

• 2 weeks later...

Really want to caution you again about the Gate 1 air... they could refund us our air now, we could buy seats on the exact same flight and PICK OUR SEATS and save money... but... instead... they are serving-up some undesirable customer service.

So, we booked in Oct/Nov 2013 for a 10-day China trip with a female rep, I remember her because it was my first call to Gate 1 and she seemed fairly "laid back."

We changed that booking in March 2014 to a Christmas Markets tour. We used whatever rep answered the phone that day.

In July we called, got another rep, changed the entire booking back to a completely different China tour which includes a 4-day Yangtze River cruise. He said "you will get your seat assignments around the first week of October, after final payment date" (final payment due date is Oct 1st) or and he said "OR"... "you can payoff your trip early and you will get your seat assignments early." So, we paid-off our trip early. I did what it says to do online at Gate1 to request seat assignments... I emailed the info@gate1 blah blah blah email address. Lo and behold... I get a snarky, and somewhat "scolding" email from the ORIGINAL female rep who we booked the FIRST China trip to saying...

"Per our conversation in November the airfare arranged for this tour is a blocked group schedule. Specific seat assignments will only be confirmed at airport check in, but can be requested approximately 45 Days prior to departure. That being said I did request at the time the reservation was created to have aisle and the seat next to so that you would be first in line for best available during that moment."

Does she think she's talking to a third grader? Really put a bad taste in my mouth about Gate1. She didn't even book this trip nor is she the one I spoke with about the air assignments.

I called Air China. They told me if Gate1 would put our name in their rosters for any seats, they would gladly switch us to the seats we want as long as its the same class. I replied to Amber but so far... I feel like the Gate1 customer services is lacking big time. Sad, really.

For the record, my husband and I have traveled A LOT and the only reason we are doing a tour this time (a first for us) is because it's Asia and we don't speak nor can we read the language. We are not the type to complain, we get along with everyone, we keep to ourselves, we are quiet, we go with the flow and we will probably have a WONDERFUL time... but you ask anyone working in Gate1 if they want to be in a 3-3-3 seat confirguration for 13 hours and see what THEY say. This is something they could easily take care of in five minutes but instead they choose to let some rep send me a demeaning email. Not a good first impression, that's for sure.

In all our years of travel we've only had one hiccup and it was with Smart Cruise Tours last year for a day trip to Rome. One time in seven years. So, I definitely don't consider us complainers but I am a bit irked about the way Gate1 is handling this air situation.

If you care, I will keep you updated. I do plan to return from our trip and write a full picture and detailed review of every step of our travels. I'm sure it will be fun!! :)

Edited by CupKayke

We are leaving in a couple of weeks for our first river cruise on the Danube with an extension to Germany, Austria and Switzerland. We are sailing with Gate 1 on the Amadeus Royal. This will be our first experience with Gate 1, and so far, it has been smooth sailing. We actually received our documentation 7 weeks before sailing (which was a nice surprise as I was expecting 2-3 weeks before sailing), and we have seat assignments for all of our flights except for a short flight between Budapest and Frankfurt. We are using our TA that we always use, and maybe she has been the one to take care of all of this for us, but we have not run into any problems.

• 1 month later...

Last November we used Gate 1 to travel to Cambodia and Vietnam. We had our seat assignments several months in advance.

In a few weeks we leave for Thailand with Gate 1 and we made our seat assignments when we booked the flight in April of this year. I e-mailed the company with my requests for seats and received an answer back within 24 hours. We have been happy with the service that we have received for our two trips.

I hope all your travels are good experiences!

We have traveled 4 times, Italy, Spain and Portugal, Eastern Europe, and Croatia and Solvenia. We have always been happy with the guides, the organization of the trips and internary. I would not hesitate to travel with Gate 1 again and I have referred them to several friends. The friends I have referred have also used them multiple times. Safe travels

D & J