Questions About Gluten-Free Cruising on NCL Jade European Itinerary

In October, I'll be sailing on NCL for the first time. From what I've read here, it sounds like they're really good about helping out cruisers with dietary needs. I eat gluten-free due to a severe sensitivity. I'm not sure it will be an issue since this is a European itinerary (Adriatic) and I've read many articles about people from the U.S. who are gluten-free (due to sensitivity and not actually allergic) being able to eat wheat that was milled in Europe. So, my first question may seem a little silly, but it's a very important distinction for me:

Where does the NCL Jade kitchen get their flour? I'm assuming it would be Europe (the cruise is RT out of Venice)--I can't imagine they import flour from the United States for their European itineraries.

And, second, in the event I find in my two days pre-cruise that I can eat pizza and pasta in Venice and then try it on the cruise with negative results, who would I contact once onboard to be learn my GF options?

Thank you!

:o

You are going to want to contact NCL now regarding your allergy. Don't wait until you get on the ship. There is a special number to call and they will make sure that your info gets into the system and your reservation is flagged with an allergy. I speak form experience. Last cruise of the 6 of us traveling we had 1 gluten allergy, 2 dairy allergies and a pineapple allergy. This trip we are even throwing a shrimp allergy into the mix too.

You are going to want to contact NCL now regarding your allergy. Don't wait until you get on the ship. There is a special number to call and they will make sure that your info gets into the system and your reservation is flagged with an allergy. I speak form experience. Last cruise of the 6 of us traveling we had 1 gluten allergy, 2 dairy allergies and a pineapple allergy. This trip we are even throwing a shrimp allergy into the mix too.

How do they handle any specific allergy since the restaurants are Anytime dining? Both my Husband and I have allergies and need to avoid certain foods as well. Just wasn't sure how NCL handles that with so many places to eat.

You call the number, have your reservation flagged, then once you are on the ship just inform your server and they send the matre de over to review the menu with you and take your order. It is awesome.

I understand I can contact them now, but from what my research is showing, this may not be an issue if they get their flour in Europe. I suspect that's what they do since the Jade is sailing European itineraries. I'm hopeful that because of the differences in the way the wheat is harvested and milled in Europe I'll be able to eat it with no problem (I've read many reports of that being the case when people with gluten sensitivities from the U.S. travel to Europe). If that's the case, I wouldn't want my reservation flagged so that I have to explain every time I eat on the ship that the gluten isn't an issue. So, that's why my questions were where do they get their flour and whom do I talk to after I board (if I do end up having an issue).

Thanks.

You also wouldn't find out that you are not one of those people. If your are truly allergic to gluten then it will not matter how they mill the wheat, it will still have gluten, therefore be an issue. I would not be willing to risk it. I also know for a fact my best friend was never lacking for delicious food.

OP, this is copied directly from NCL's FAQs on their website. Flag your reservation or run the risk of not having the gluten-free products onboard necessary for your trip in the event you are wrong about where Jade receives her provisions or your ability to tolerate those provisions. Happy Sailing!

What about special dietary needs?

If you have any food allergy or a dietary requirement that requires Kosher meals or gluten-free food product, please advise a Norwegian Reservations Agent, or your Travel Agent at the time of booking. Obtaining the product for many of these requests requires 30-days notice prior to sailing, and we want to ensure that we are able to fulfill your request. We cannot guarantee Kosher Meal requests made within 30 days of sail date. For the protection of all of our guests, it is not permissible to bring aboard any food items that would require preparation by the ship’s staff, or food items that would require cold storage in our kitchen facilities.

You also wouldn't find out that you are not one of those people. If your are truly allergic to gluten then it will not matter how they mill the wheat, it will still have gluten, therefore be an issue. I would not be willing to risk it. I also know for a fact my best friend was never lacking for delicious food.

I actually will find out before I go as I'm currently awaiting an order of flour imported from Europe. I'll also be spending a few days pre-cruise so I'm confident I'll know by the time I board the ship. As I mentioned in my first post, I'm not allergic to gluten; I have a sensitivity to it. I haven't had bread or pasta in almost a year that I would want to have a second time, so I'm very excited about the possibility of eating "real" bread and pasta. It probably sounds minor to folks who don't have to deal with this issue. :o If I can eat bread and pasta for 10 days, it will be quite a treat. I'm very well aware that delicious gluten-free food is available, but I am and always have been a bread-lover and am hoping I can indulge during my vacation. :D:o

I've done a lot of research on this and it's quite common for someone who can't tolerate gluten products in the U.S. to be just fine eating gluten products in Europe. It has to do with both the method of harvesting and the milling, and it makes a great deal of difference (well, from what I've read).

OP, this is copied directly from NCL's FAQs on their website. Flag your reservation or run the risk of not having the gluten-free products onboard necessary for your trip in the event you are wrong about where Jade receives her provisions or your ability to tolerate those provisions. Happy Sailing!

What about special dietary needs?

If you have any food allergy or a dietary requirement that requires Kosher meals or gluten-free food product, please advise a Norwegian Reservations Agent, or your Travel Agent at the time of booking. Obtaining the product for many of these requests requires 30-days notice prior to sailing, and we want to ensure that we are able to fulfill your request. We cannot guarantee Kosher Meal requests made within 30 days of sail date. For the protection of all of our guests, it is not permissible to bring aboard any food items that would require preparation by the ship’s staff, or food items that would require cold storage in our kitchen facilities.

From one Jayne to another...thank you for the information. :D

I am curious if you have had the blood test to figure out if you are allergic or if you have a sensitivity. Otherwise it would really sicko find out you allergic the hard way. In fact, even it is a sensitivity, if you haven't had it in a year, your body will more likely have an extremely had time processing it.

I am curious if you have had the blood test to figure out if you are allergic or if you have a sensitivity. Otherwise it would really sicko find out you allergic the hard way. In fact, even it is a sensitivity, if you haven't had it in a year, your body will more likely have an extremely had time processing it.

It's my doctor who has determined I'm sensitive and not allergic. :D The research I've done and personal reports I've heard contradict your theory. I've got nothing to lose trying it and a whole lot to gain if it works out. I'm happy to take that risk. I'd just like to confirm from where they procure their flour. Hopefully someone will know...

The hotel director on the Spirit (also sailing in Europe) told me that he spends half his life tracking containers of food that are shipped from the USA every week. It is critical that they arrive at the dock on time when the ship is there. Some food is sourced in Europe but a huge amount is shipped from the US. It cannot be assumed that any food item is sourced in Europe because the ship sails exclusively in that area.

Interesting about the difference in milling meaning less sensitivity. I'll ask my friend who has to eat gluten free if she knows anything about this. I suspect she has an allergy rather than a sensitivity though.

The hotel director on the Spirit (also sailing in Europe) told me that he spends half his life tracking containers of food that are shipped from the USA every week. It is critical that they arrive at the dock on time when the ship is there. Some food is sourced in Europe but a huge amount is shipped from the US. It cannot be assumed that any food item is sourced in Europe because the ship sails exclusively in that area.

Thank you. That's very helpful information. I didn't think I could safely make that assumption and was hoping someone would know. It does seem a bit crazy that they source food from the U.S. unless it's something they just can't get in Europe. But, then, I suspect they know far more about that than I do!

Interesting about the difference in milling meaning less sensitivity. I'll ask my friend who has to eat gluten free if she knows anything about this. I suspect she has an allergy rather than a sensitivity though.

It's also the harvesting. In the U.S., may harvesters spray the wheat with pesticides or insecticides that change something about it that makes it easier to harvest (I read a couple articles about it but don't remember the specifics). One of the chefs at my office is the person who originally told me about this. She can eat gluten products in Europe with no problem though when she's here in the U.S. she eats gluten free. She said she has no problem with breads and pastas and pastries in Europe. She also has a number of friends who've experienced the same thing. She and I are both gluten-sensitive and not allergic; I don't know about her friends. Her story is what made me start researching it and I've been reading articles for the past few months, so when I booked this itinerary I later thought about that and realized this is my opportunity to find out if Europe is my gluten Mecca as well. :o I have my fingers crossed. I can't wait to sink my teeth into some crusty European bread! :D

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

I sailed on the Jade in 2010 from Barcelona. We spent 5 days in Europe before we boarded and I did not eat Gluten because of a HIGH sensitivity to it.

We ate in a certain cafe many times and I was dying for a piece of the pizza I always saw go by. On the last day before boarding the ship I snagged a small piece of the one my Hubby ordered and it was so good. I expected to have a terrible night but nothing happened!!

I continued the cruise as Gluten Free with no issues and the GF pizza on the Jade was very tasty.

It was not until I was back in the USA that I found out about the different ways the US treats the wheat compared to Europe.

I am only telling you about my experience and how it effected me. We are heading to Europe in 2015 and I can't wait to get some pizza.

Lynda

I sailed on the Jade in 2010 from Barcelona. We spent 5 days in Europe before we boarded and I did not eat Gluten because of a HIGH sensitivity to it.

We ate in a certain cafe many times and I was dying for a piece of the pizza I always saw go by. On the last day before boarding the ship I snagged a small piece of the one my Hubby ordered and it was so good. I expected to have a terrible night but nothing happened!!

I continued the cruise as Gluten Free with no issues and the GF pizza on the Jade was very tasty.

It was not until I was back in the USA that I found out about the different ways the US treats the wheat compared to Europe.

I am only telling you about my experience and how it effected me. We are heading to Europe in 2015 and I can't wait to get some pizza.

Lynda

Lynda, thank you for sharing. That's music to my ears. I'll be in Venice in 58 days and I definitely plan to order pizza! If I need to eat GF on the ship, I'm fine with that, after all it's my daily life. But, the idea of real bread...yum!! :D

The more I learn about the way wheat is processed in the U.S., the more appalled and outraged I am. :mad:

Does anyone have the phone number that I need to call and let NCL know about our food allergies? My husband and I also have several things that we need to stay away from and it would be nice to know that we won't be eating something that would affect us. How can NCL help though if you're eating in the buffet? Maybe it's better to just not eat there if uncertain about a particular food?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd come back and update this thread. I've received my order of Italian pasta and flour and am thrilled to report that I've been able to eat pasta and bread with absolutely no side effects! So, apparently, my issue isn't a gluten sensitivity but an inability to handle grains that have been harvested with the assistance of insecticides. :o It's making me look even more forward to my upcoming cruise. Now, I should go make some more bread! :D