specialty cake

monkll

They taste a whole lot better than the normal dining room cakes. "Worth it" is always a private matter. I can get 4 cakes at our local grocery for the cost of one DCL cake, but the 4 won't be served on a special day and the service would be by me. If I were celebrating an 8 year old's birthday, I wouldn't do it. For a more special occasion (anniversary, 50th birthday with family present), absolutely. It also depends on how many are in your party. It won't keep long so you'll be sharing with others or it will go to waste.

its a combination of anniversary and birthday but what I meant by worth it was, Is it any good? ..because if i spent $40 on a cake and it wasn't any good, I would be pretty bummed!! Which kind did you have, if you do no

t mind me asking?

It wasn't the Mickey cake....it was the kind where you can order different sizes.

I don't remember the cake flavor...but I'm gong to assume it was marble since I don't like chocolate cake.

It tastes good....worth the money in my opinion.

The specialty cakes are good, because they're made fresh. The tiny cakes that they'll bring to the dining room, either free or minimal charge, are frozen and don't taste very good.

I DO think it's fun and a nice touch, to have one at dinner for a celebration. I think it's worth it.

The specialty cakes are good, because they're made fresh. The tiny cakes that they'll bring to the dining room, either free or minimal charge, are frozen and don't taste very good.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. They used to do a small birthday/celebration cake that was "just ok." There was no charge. It was replaced several years ago with a mousse dessert which was no improvement over the cake. There also used to be a cake incuded if you purchased the birthday decoration package--this is no longer part of the package. I'm not aware of any cake for "minimal charge" ever on DCL.

Sorry....I knew I should clarify. The 6" celebration cake that people can order to have in the room to celebrate a birthday or anniversary....$25....taste awful.

The "Specialty" cakes, like they do for weddings and vow renewals, are freshly made and very good.

I've had the white cake with strawberry mousse filling, buttercream icing and a marble cake with chocolate mousse filling, buttercream icing....among a couple of others that were pretty much the same. Haven't tried the carrot cake.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. They used to do a small birthday/celebration cake that was "just ok." There was no charge. It was replaced several years ago with a mousse dessert which was no improvement over the cake. There also used to be a cake incuded if you purchased the birthday decoration package--this is no longer part of the package. I'm not aware of any cake for "minimal charge" ever on DCL.

Even without doing the whole birthday/anniversary package, we had the small celebration cakes....one for a birthday and one for an anniversary....in the room. I don't even remember if they charged us for them at all, but I thought I should say "minimal" because if I DID pay for it and didn't say so, someone here would have corrected that, too.

To help clarify....the first cake is the old, old one that you could get in your stateroom....and I don't remember if they charged for it or not...it was NOT part of a celebration package, tasted like it had been frozen for quite a while:

cake3_zps125fbdb9.jpg

This second one is the one that used to come in the celebration package, but now can be ordered for $25....and again, it tasted icky to us:

cake2_zps523748e2.jpg

And lastly, the wedding cake is an example of a "Specialty" cake. VERY very good, and freshly baked and decorated, either the same day or the day before....depending on when it's needed:

cake1_zpsaa8d98e5.jpg

I ordered a cake for my dad's 65th birthday last year (October 2013). It was a marble cake with dark chocolate filling and butter cream icing. It tasted very good rich and moist - but a little wet inside (they must use a sugar wash on the layers to try to prevent crumbs). The decorating was very basic. I ordered the 10 inch because I wanted it customized; the 3 of us shared with our 5 tablemates (so 8 people total) and then I gave the remaining to our servers. They were very appreciative and thanked me profusely the next evening for the treat.

100_1063_zps9caa8452.jpg

For my cousin's and her kids first cruise I'm going to order the Mickey head cake.