Question for those who are local or have taken multi-day vacations in Grand Cayman

allbeall1

We have taken a lot of cruises and visited Grand Cayman several times. It's always our favorite port. The beaches are beautiful! Our children jokingly said that if they could go anywhere it would be Grand Cayman for a full week. They always want more beach time.

My husband and I have planned a huge Christmas surprise for them, 10days on the island! We're staying at Kaibo for the first 3nights and then checking in at Morritts.

So, far we've planned two full day charters. I'm sure we'll visit the turtle farm again as well as most of the other touristy stuff. We've never strayed very far from the port. We'll have a rental car during this trip and plan to explore the island.

I would love any advice or tips you have on restaurants, best places/activities during our stay in each area, and any other helpful hints.

Thank you!!

Restaurants

The Kaibo area is rather quiet as far as commercial activity with only the Kaibo Yacht Club and nearby Rum Point offering dining options. While Kaibo can seem very casual during the day serving mostly bar food, at night its upstairs restaurant offers a very nice dining experience. Definitely worth checking out. Rum Point similarly offers a completely different experience at night. Plan on cooking breakfast in your accommodations when you stay near Kaibo.

About half way between Kaibo and Morritts is Over the Edge restaurant on North Side Road in Old Man Bay. Over the Edge is not as upscale as Kaibo upstairs. It is a favourite spot with a nice deck for outdoor dining.

Not far from Over the Edge is Kurts Corner on Frank Sound Road (location of old Nicho Norte bar). While Over the Edge attracts some locals with the tourists, Kurts Corner is almost entirely locals. BTW, The namesake Kurt is Kurt Tibbets, former LoGB (head elected official similar to Prime Minister) of the Cayman Islands. Cheap and good eats. Definite local favourite.

There are dining options at the Morritts resort and the Royal Reef resort next door. Nothing particularly noteworthy, IMHO, (except for a nice tuna salad sandwich that used to be available in the staff meal line at Morritts.) There is a Subway franchise at the Reef Resort if you must.

Across the road from the Reef Resort in the Morritts Shopping Centre complete with a small Fosters Food Fair IGA grocery. In the same plaza is the Italian Kitchen restaurant which has expanded and seems to do well. You'll also find the Jacques Scott liquor store in the plaza, the best stocked liquor store in East End. Remember that the grocery and liquor store will be closed both Christmas and Boxing Days.

A bit more than a mile south of Morritts you come to Tukka Restaurant which bears an Australian theme complete with kangaroo on the menu. They also rotate a nice variety of lionfish appetizers for a taste from our local waters. It's a bit pricey menu.

And another mile further in Gun Bay there are two treasures. Big Tree BBQ serves an assortment of meats and sides under the eponymous tree in the front yard of the owner. Limited hours. Check the sign as you drive by. Worth a stop for good food at a reasonable price. And Vivine's Kitchen is a long standing staple with a varied menu and great view. The menu features a variety of Caymanian favourites served right from the back door of her home. Don't miss.

My last three entries are on the way into Bodden Town. In the tiny community of Breakers is the Lighthouse Restaurant. Get your reservation in and make it a nice night. They have a nice wine list. A few doors further along is the South Coast Bar and Grill serving Cayman's local brews on tap and a decent affordable menu. Finally, a few miles down the road as you enter Bodden Town proper you'll see Chester's Fish Fry which is best known for spicy Caribbean jerk pork and chicken.

And somewhere along this long path from Kaibo to Bodden Town you pass chez drew sailbum where the dining is cheap, even if the cook isn't so skilled. :D:eek:

Activities

First a warning, Cayman is known for the Christmas Winds that can cool things off and make water activities difficult some days. Some years those winds really kick up to 25-30mph and can last for days. Be flexible in your schedule and take advantage of any good sea days early.

Snorkeling is good around the dock at Morritts. There is normally a bit of a side-shore current so walk up the shore a bit and let the current drift you back to the resort.

Go see the blue iguanas and visit the Botanic Park. It is just off Frank Sound Road in the eastern districts. If you time it right you might get a tour with the director.

Caymanians love our shopping and Camana Bay on the west side of the island offers a variety of events throughout the season to encourage you to come and find that perfect extra gift for someone special.

Pick a night to see the Barefoot Man perform. He is based out of the Reef Resort next door to Morritts. He'll probably work in a couple Caribbean style Christmas songs to his usual repertoire.

You can do a self guided tour of the Christmas lights. Many Caymanians brightly decorate their homes including lights going up the palm trees. The largest display is at the home of Mr Crighton on Shamrock Road in George Town. He invites the public to enter his property and walk around the numerous displays. The Ritz Carlton hotel often builds a huge gingerbread house. Stop in and take a look.

Thank you for your help!

If all goes as planned the kids will remain clueless until we arrive at the airport. We have a connection in Miami too which may give us a bit longer before they realize our final destination. We have friends that frequently take mission trips and that was a perfect cover story for the passports.

The kids are 9,11, and 14 and I don't know how many years I have left before they begin to figure out our plans. So far, the two biggest surprises have been a trip to Disney World and our first cruise.

We kept Disney a secret until we were almost at the park. We stopped at a gas station, gave them snacks including a chocolate bar, and when they opened it they found a golden ticket explaining the trip to Disney. They thought we were driving to visit family in Georgia and never realized we were in Florida.

For our first cruise, they believed that we were staying in New Orleans for the week. We stayed at a hotel in the French Quarter the night before the cruise. The next morning we told them that we were taking a shuttle to a more family friendly location. We pulled up to the ship and they were astonished.

But... this trip will be my biggest accomplishment if we can make it through the next few months without slipping up!

Grandma and Grandpa will be joining us Christmas week. My husband and I will also be celebrating our 15th anniversary and I'll make sure to leave the kids for at least one nice dinner for two.