A cool fan for a hot cabin?

BamaLady#13

I'm packing to leave on my cruise to the Caribbean in a few days and plan to take a fan. I need to have a cool room to sleep and according to the messages I am reading, the Carnival Ships are notorious for hot cabins. If I can't get a good nights sleep this cruise will be a bad one. What size fans do they allow? I really hate to take up room in my luggage, but small personal 4 inch fan won't stir much air. Has anyone taken a 9 or 10 inch fan on board. If the fan is confiscated, is it returned?

I'm packing to leave on my cruise to the Caribbean in a few days and plan to take a fan. I need to have a cool room to sleep and according to the messages I am reading, the Carnival Ships are notorious for hot cabins. If I can't get a good nights sleep this cruise will be a bad one. What size fans do they allow? I really hate to take up room in my luggage, but small personal 4 inch fan won't stir much air. Has anyone taken a 9 or 10 inch fan on board. If the fan is confiscated, is it returned?

I've taken this one once before, and then 3 others before it.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HT-900-TurboForce-Fan/dp/B001R1RXUG

It's a 7", but does a great job. It's a good idea to put it in your carry on, and if it's not new, try to make it look as best as possible. I always took mine apart and cleaned it before each cruise, wiping the fan blades, cage, and cord.

I never had one taken, nor extension cord out of 4 cruises.

I take one for both the noise, but especially since I need moving air to sleep comfortably.

That said, I haven't had a room that was too warm out of 4 ships and 21 days.

And Roll Tide!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

You are correct. Carnival's cabins can be warm, and if you call and ask for it to be cooled off, they will come check it and then give you the same song and dance that the temperature is within their guidelines. So for people who don't sleep well when the temperature is in the mid to upper 70's, a fan is a good idea. A fan also helps block out hallway noise.

I take a battery operated fan similar to this one. O2Cool is the brand and I have seen them at Walmart, Amazon, and Lowes. It is lightweight and packs well between layers of clothes in my suitcase.

http://www.o2-cool.com/10-Inch-Portable-Fan-with-AC-Adapter-FD10001A?page_id=841

Mine has never been confiscated.

Have a great cruise!

You are correct. Carnival's cabins can be warm, and if you call and ask for it to be cooled off, they will come check it and then give you the same song and dance that the temperature is within their guidelines. So for people who don't sleep well when the temperature is in the mid to upper 70's, a fan is a good idea. A fan also helps block out hallway noise.

I take a battery operated fan similar to this one. O2Cool is the brand and I have seen them at Walmart, Amazon, and Lowes. It is lightweight and packs well between layers of clothes in my suitcase.

http://www.o2-cool.com/10-Inch-Portable-Fan-with-AC-Adapter-FD10001A?page_id=841

Mine has never been confiscated.

Have a great cruise!

This is what we have too! We used it every night on a 6 day and few times getting ready for dinner and the batteries lasted just enough. Doing a 7 day this time so I am taking extra batteries.

We have cruised the Freedom the first week in September the last 2 years. The first year our balcony cabin temperature was acceptable. Last year we were very warm and decided to purchase a small fan in Key West. When we tried to board the fan was confiscated and we were told we might have it back when the cruise was complete. We complained loud and long to no avail. We immediately contacted the maintenance dept who came and measured the temperature which I think was reported as 75 or 76 degrees, yet felt like 80 plus. We live in South Florida and normally keep our house around 77 degrees with ceiling fans in most rooms. Needless to say we were pi**ed. The story ended happily when a few hours later our fan and extension cord were delivered to our room. All I can say is good luck.

ps- We have cruised 40+ times on many lines but the Freedom cabin last year was the hottest by far. Gonna cruise on the Freedom for the 3rd year in a row in a couple of weeks and the fan will be in my check-in luggage.

This is what we have too! We used it every night on a 6 day and few times getting ready for dinner and the batteries lasted just enough. Doing a 7 day this time so I am taking extra batteries.

Is this a good fan though? Like is it cool?

Is this a good fan though? Like is it cool?

Yes, it has 2 speeds and fits perfect on the small table at the foot of the bed. Of course it's not like a large box fan, but the rooms are not that big. I always close the curtains during the day, while we are out, and I check the temp too, I have come into the room before and realized the steward has cut it back.

I have even used it to blow dry some clothing. We have had it 4 years now on 4 different cruises so we have definitely gotten ours $$$ worth.

Regarding the fans that have been suggested by some: Do they drown out noise? My husband and I live in a condo close to a college area and I've come to rely on the noise of the fan to put me to sleep. On our last cruise, we were on the panorama deck on the Carnival Conquest and I had the worst time sleeping and blocking out the outside noise that is normal with any cruise. It's not a necessity, but it would be nice to find a fan that actually produces a little noise with the air, that can still fit in my luggage :) Thanks!

Have taken the O2Cool on 5 cruises now(same fan) bought it a Walmart for $11.00 on clearance, each fall or end of summer always are available on clearance. Saw one just today at my local Walmart for $11.00 on clearance. It can be used with batteries or with the cord it comes with. We pack the fan and cord in separate suitcase as not to get it confiscated. Works great, folds down to not take much room in suitcase. Bought a new one this year as a backup since we use the fan in hotel rooms as well.

Edited by rjschaack16

Thank you everybody for posting. tomorrow I am going to Wal Mart to buy a portable fan. I'm presently in our bedroom, central air on 74, and standing fan blowing on me. I, too, like a cold room, air on me, and for the white noise the fan creates. We cruise on the Glory this weekend!!:)

I've taken this one once before, and then 3 others before it.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HT-900-TurboForce-Fan/dp/B001R1RXUG

It's a 7", but does a great job. It's a good idea to put it in your carry on, and if it's not new, try to make it look as best as possible. I always took mine apart and cleaned it before each cruise, wiping the fan blades, cage, and cord.

I never had one taken, nor extension cord out of 4 cruises.

I take one for both the noise, but especially since I need moving air to sleep comfortably.

That said, I haven't had a room that was too warm out of 4 ships and 21 days.

And Roll Tide!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I keep reading horror stories about the fans being confiscated. I have read where we can ask our room steward for a fan and most of the time they can find one,,,,as long as you quick to get on the ship. I am gonna take my noisy fan(we cruise the 24th on the Freedom) and hope for the best.

Roll Tide!

Edited by tbbtravels

Glad I looked at this thread! I just ordered the O2Cool fan for my cruise on the Freedom. I like my cabin cool and I am used to the air movement from my ceiling fan at home. I have been warm several times in my cabins lately and I never thought about bringing a fan. Bought the battery operated one with A/C adapter.

Ours was confiscated on the Valor. It was brand new in the box and they still said we couldn't keep it. They sent someone to the room with a digital thermometer and the room was 76* so they brought us a fan. They told us that anything 73* and under was considered acceptable under their guidelines.