To Haven Or Not To Haven

TheTourVan

My wife and I are debating heading out on NCL and are looking for advice. We understand the suite perks on NCL are the best out there (arguably, but everybody I talk to says they are) and we would like to take advantage of that service and the amenities. This is where we need advice from those experienced on this ship or ships like it.

We love the perks that the Haven appears to feature. However in reading, it appears some of those perks are also available in the Spa Suites. Then further reading led us to realize that there are 8 different suite levels and for the life of me, outside of the actual room, we cannot figure out the perks that are available for each level of suite.

Then we see things called The Villas. Those appear to have separate amenities as well.

Is there anybody that can assist?

Edited by TheTourVan

My wife and I are debating heading out on NCL and are looking for advice. We understand the suite perks on NCL are the best out there (arguably, but everybody I talk to says they are) and we would like to take advantage of that service and the amenities. This is where we need advice from those experienced on this ship or ships like it.

We love the perks that the Haven appears to feature. However in reading, it appears some of those perks are also available in the Spa Suites. Then further reading led us to realize that there are 8 different suite levels and for the life of me, outside of the actual room, we cannot figure out the perks that are available for each level of suite.

Then we see things called The Villas. Those appear to have separate amenities as well.

Is there anybody that can assist?

What ship and/or itinerary are you considering?

I actually have the same question . I thought that Suites have access to the specialty breakfast and lunch in the Haven. What would be the added benefit to paying the extra for a Haven suite as opposed to a regular suite?

I actually have the same question . I thought that Suites have access to the specialty breakfast and lunch in the Haven. What would be the added benefit to paying the extra for a Haven suite as opposed to a regular suite?

It is where we are stuck. Outside of the Haven lounge (I believe), the Spa Suite seemed to have similar amenities. But I am pretty sure I am missing something and would love to know what it is. Because those that choose to go with the Haven area, seem to love it.

I'm not very familiar with the Epic, so I've not commented further... but all suites (in the haven or out) enjoy a number of perks including butler and concierge service, in suite dining, priority boarding, priority disembarkation, priority tendering, etc. etc...

Here's a pretty complete list of perks WaldosPepper put together:

1.) Some ships are equipped with a Haven, and some are not. Ships that are equipped with a Haven will have two levels of suite: Haven suites and non-Haven suites. Haven Suites are designated by the letter "S" followed by a number. Non-Haven Suites are designated by the letter "S" followed by a letter.

2) Haven suites have access to the Haven regardless of where they are situated on the ship. The Haven has its own pool, hot tub, sauna, and sundeck. Some Haven's also have a retractable roof over the central area.

3.) The Haven suites on Epic and the new-builds coming soon also have several other private areas as well.

4.) All suites have access to a private restaurant for breakfast and lunch.

5.) All suites have Butler and Concierge service.

6.) All suites receive invitations to a special cocktail reception with the Captain and other Officers.

7.) All suites receive priority embarkation and disembarkation, as well as priority tendering.

8.) All suites receive one bottle of Sparkling Wine, one large bottle of water, a bowl of fresh fruit (replenished upon consumption) and a fresh flower arrangement in their suite, along with treats delivered daily by the Butler. (Note: Garden Villas, Deluxe Owner's Suites and Owner's Suites receive Champagne instead of Sparkling Wine)

9.) Garden Villa's receive 6 bottles of alcohol with unlimited mixers, soda and water, while Deluxe Owner's Suites and Owner's Suites each receive 3 bottles of alcohol with unlimited mixers, soda and water.

10.) All suites are provided with a variety of Elemis brand toiletries.

11.) All suites are equipped with a Coffee/Cappuccino/Espresso Machine (Most are Lavazza pod-style machines, including Jewel now, however the Sun has Lavazza machines in the Owner’s Suites, but drip-style coffee brewers in all other suites.

12.) All suites have access to the Pre-Cruise Concierge service, which helps to coordinate your individual selections on pillow types, coffee and tea preferences, and a variety of special requests.

13.) All suites (except the SG and SJ suites on Deck 12 of the Star) have a portable phone which can be used throughout the ship.

14.) All suites are equipped with the "Bliss Bed" which truly lives up to its name.

15 All suites have an expanded Room Service menu.

It is where we are stuck. Outside of the Haven lounge (I believe), the Spa Suite seemed to have similar amenities. But I am pretty sure I am missing something and would love to know what it is. Because those that choose to go with the Haven area, seem to love it.

All of the Suites on The Epic are Haven Suites. The Spa Suites are not located within the Haven Area but are located closer to the Spa. On the Epic, suite passengers can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Haven Restaurant.

Edited by ks

All of the Suites on The Epic are Haven Suites. The Spa Suites are not located within the Haven Area but are located closer to the Spa. On the Epic, suite passengers can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Haven Restaurant.

Are you sure about this? The cost difference between the Spa Suite and the Haven Suite was pretty large when I looked earlier. Granted room would play a role here, but the cost was double.

Are you sure about this? The cost difference between the Spa Suite and the Haven Suite was pretty large when I looked earlier. Granted room would play a role here, but the cost was double.

You realize the Spa Suites have access to the spa included where the regular suites do not, right?

These suites feature a queen-size circular bed, in suite hot tub, spa décor and entry to the Mandara Spa experience, including complimentary access to the thermal suites.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/epic/staterooms/2/spa#tab_detail

Are you looking at the Spa Mini-Suite or the Haven Spa Suite? It is normally only a couple hundred dollars difference per person between the Haven Spa suite and a Haven Penthouse Suite.

Edited by ks

There are Spa suites and Haven Soa Suites. on,y Haven Soa suites provide access to the Hven and are more expensive than the regular spa suite.

This information is wrong. On the Epic there are only Haven Spa Suites and no regular Spa Suites. There are Spa Mini-Suites but a Mini-Suite on NCL is never afforded any of the perks of a Suite and is actually a balcony with a little more room.

Edited by ks

You gotta be pretty careful when reading this thread, because some of the information people post is just plain wrong! For example, someone posted that any category beginning with "S" is a Haven Suite. That's simply NOT true. Haven suite categories always begin with an "H". If the cabin category starts with any other letter besides "H", the people in that cabin will have no access to The Haven.

Do also be really careful not to confuse Spa Suites with Haven Spa Suites. Both have access to the amenities of the Spa, but only a Haven Spa Suite gets you access to both the amenities of the Spa AND The Haven.

My advice to you, if you're looking for the best upscale experience with the most "perks" and amenities is to stick with the three newest ships in the fleet: the Epic, the Breakaway, and the Getaway. These three ships were built after NCL really started perfecting the whole "ship-within-a-ship" concept that is The Haven. You can see the early versions in ships like the Pearl, but it really wasn't until the Epic, the Breakaway, and the Getaway that they really started to master it.

So, if you've not cruised with NCL before and you're really looking for that "WOW" upscale experience unlike what you can get on most other cruise lines in this price range... and you're going to be deciding whether to ever cruise with NCL again based on this one experience... do yourself a favor and cruise on one of the three newest ships where they really get it right. Well, really, I'd just say go with the newest ship... the Getaway... so you know you are seeing their latest innovations and refinements. That's exactly what I'm going to do in my upcoming cruise in a Haven Spa Suite on the Getaway. After 20+ Carnival cruises... I want to see the best that NCL has to offer. If it goes well, I'll cruise with them again. If not, I'll keep experimenting with other possibilities.

I'd also say, since it sounds like it would just be two of you cruising... you can rule out all the two-bedroom Haven suites. No need for that, unless you want the two bathrooms that come with it. If dining inside your cabin or on your balcony is something very important to you... look at the more expensive Haven suites. They will have an adequate dining table. For us, dining in the room or on the balcony is not important... so we're OK with the lower-priced Haven categories... which only have a tiny little table.

If the goal is to get in to The Haven for as little money as possible, look at the Haven Spa Suites... those are the least expensive cabins that get you access to The Haven. Be aware that to book one, or to even check the pricing, you have to tell the booking engine that you want a cabin type of SPA and not Haven. For some odd reason, Haven Spa Suites are NOT listed under the Haven cabin category... they are listed under the Spa category. So, when you specify the Haven as a cabin category during a search, it does not show you the least expensive Haven cabins of all... the Haven Spa Suites. To see those, you have to look at Spa cabins.

I hope that's helpful!

You gotta be pretty careful when reading this thread, because some of the information people post is just plain wrong! For example, someone posted that any category beginning with "S" is a Haven Suite. That's simply NOT true. Haven suite categories always begin with an "H". If the cabin category starts with any other letter besides "H", the people in that cabin will have no access to The Haven.

This is correct. The list quoted above is a dated by about a year in regards to the naming conventions of suites. The rest of the perks listed there are still current.

Thank you for the above information. I knew I was not reading it wrong and hearing wrong. There are Spa Suites and there are Haven Suites and they are not the same and both are not Haven. I have a feeling it is the wording that NCL chooses to use, because frankly, the Spa Suites are not really suites.

Thank you again for providing the correct info, as reading through this, I was more confused then ever.

I do not think you fully get it yet. Ther are Haven Suites. The least expensive Haven Suite is the Courtyard. Penthouse. Suite. Not all suites with access the the Haven are situated in the Haven. There are a number of Aft Suites that are Haven Access and situated on several decks. Haven Suites do not offer access to the Spa. All Haven Suites can be found under the Haven Cabins on the website and have a prefix of H. A Haven Courtyard Penthouse is an H5.

Then there are Spa Suites. All Spa Suites offer access to the Spa as part of the cruise fare.

Lastly there are Haven Spa Suites. These offer access to both the Spa and Haven as part of the Cruise Fare. You find these suites under Spa Cabins on the website. They are not listed under the Haven section but clearly show the word Haven in the suite description.

Thank you for the above information. I knew I was not reading it wrong and hearing wrong. There are Spa Suites and there are Haven Suites and they are not the same and both are not Haven. I have a feeling it is the wording that NCL chooses to use, because frankly, the Spa Suites are not really suites.

Thank you again for providing the correct info, as reading through this, I was more confused then ever.

Hold on. If you are looking at the Epic, all suites have access to the Haven, including Spa suites. However, if you are looking at a Spa MINI-SUITE, that has no suite amenities and is not really a suite at all.

I just looked at the Epic stateroom. There is no "regular" Spa suite. There are Spa balconies, Spa mini-suites, and the Haven Spa suite. If you book the Spa suite (not the mini-suite) you get access to the Haven.

Lol...this thread has me even more confused now. We are on the Getaway in October, we are in a Spa Mini Suite (Category M9). We were told that we get access to the Spa (obviously), but NO priority boarding, debarkation or anything else....please help me sort this out!!!

Ihugheshome is incorrect. There ARE Haven SPA suites. Any suite with the letter "H" before the category number is a HAVEN suite. The Haven Spa Suites give you access to both the SPA and the HAVEN. I understand to check pricing for Haven Spa Suites you have to look under the Spa tab and not the Haven tab.

Lol...this thread has me even more confused now. We are on the Getaway in October, we are in a Spa Mini Suite (Category M9). We were told that we get access to the Spa (obviously), but NO priority boarding, debarkation or anything else....please help me sort this out!!!

What you were told is correct. A mini-suite does not have suite amenities. A Spa mini-suite includes access to the Spa (hence the name).

Correct. As your suite is not Haven you do not get priority boarding or any of the Haven perks!

You need to stop confusing things. A mini-suite is NOT a suite. Furthermore, on the older ships, there are numerous suites that do not have Haven access, but do have amenities including priority boarding, access to Cagneys for breakfast and lunch, and butler and concierge service.

What you were told is correct. A mini-suite does not have suite amenities. A Spa mini-suite includes access to the Spa (hence the name).

Thank you...that is what I thought, I just wanted to clarify as I was confused by post #5 that states ALL suites get extra amenities.