First time cruiser-accessibility questions

DBear78

Hi there. I will be cruising for the first time Sept 7 on the Carnival Magic out of Galveston. My roomie is disabled and we have an accessible room that the awesome people at Carnival helped us secure so she can have room for a hoyer lift and her electric chair. I was just wanting to ask a few questions and solicit any advice people might have for anyone who has sailed the Magic with a disabled individual-or I guess any cruise line for that matter.

First off, we have late-night dining. Is there a way to ensure that the staff know to sit us at a table that is easy for an electric chair to pull up to? Is this done automatically or should I contact someone about it?

Is the karaoke bar accessible for someone who wants to sing karaoke (not just sit and watch)?

Are the shows accessible where she and a caregiver can sit next to each other and enjoy the shows while she's still in her chair?

I know one of our ports is a tender and won't be accessible for her so we know we are limited in our offshore excursions. Right now we have a couple of things booked that can be done with accessibility in mind, but is there anything else we should be looking for or tips for cruising on the Magic while disabled?

I would really appreciate insight from anyone about this, we want to make sure she has the best time possible on this cruise!

Thanks a lot!

we were on the magic a few weeks ago, and i saw quite a few people who were in motorized wheelchairs.

i cant answer your other questions, but i can answer about karaoke. that is on deck 5, and yes, they can participate with no problems. there are no steps or anything they'd have issues with.

Carnival is very accommodating to the disabled.

Don't waste any money on first to the fun. Just go right to the head of the line when they start boarding. They should wave you right through.....with the platinum etc.

I am sure if you have first or second seating dining, (and not anytime dining) they have you put in a section that is easily accessible, but you can always check that upon boarding the ship.

Edited by lostdart1

Thank you for the information about the karaoke bar, that was a big 'have to do' thing for my roomie.

Also, thanks for the information on the loading! We have late dining, not anytime, so we should be able to get our seats for dinner then! Good to know.

Thank you so much for answering the couple of questions I had. So far Carnival has bent over backwards to help us with room accommodations and such. I can't say enough good things so far about how we've been treated. It's a change from the way we are treated day-to-day when where we live has no sidewalks and we have to walk on the side of busy streets to get anywhere so this will be an awesome vacation I hope.

Carnival is very accommodating to the disabled.

Don't waste any money on first to the fun. Just go right to the head of the line when they start boarding. They should wave you right through.....with the platinum etc.

I am sure if you have first or second seating dining, (and not anytime dining) they have you put in a section that is easily accessible, but you can always check that upon boarding the ship.

In some ports, they board handicapped people right after Weddings, Diamond, Platinum, and FTTF.

First off, we have late-night dining. Is there a way to ensure that the staff know to sit us at a table that is easy for an electric chair to pull up to? Is this done automatically or should I contact someone about it? You may want to double check when you board as to where your table is at. We were placed at table in middle of room, was pretty tight and not the best to move around at.

Are the shows accessible where she and a caregiver can sit next to each other and enjoy the shows while she's still in her chair? Most show areas have handicap seating for both wheelchairs / scooters & people with them. I would say go early as they fill up fast & with non-handicap people sometimes. Luckly we had nice people who did move for we could sit together.

Also, there is a disability board that has lots of information and great advice on it. You may want to look at it.

You might want to check with Guest Services to see if their special needs muster drill is held at a different location or if you should go to the one for your cabin. I use a walker and have been in different locations on different ships.

You might want to go to the dining room the day you board in the afternoon to speak with someone to be sure they know your needs for a table.

Just to add...one of my dinner companions had an electric scooter and he was always accommodated. All the shows and venues he was all over the ship. Believe or not he even went zip-lining. Carnival was great#

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317