Altun Ha or Xunantunich

MVPinBoynton

We were just at Xunantunich last week and enjoyed this trip. We have not been to the other but Xunantunich was recommended to us because they have restored part of it and you can climb up on top of El Castillo about 300 feet up. The bus trip was 2 hours and bumpy but air-conditioned. The lunch that was part of Carnivals excursion was very good. The day was about 7 hours.

We were just at Xunantunich last week and enjoyed this trip. We have not been to the other but Xunantunich was recommended to us because they have restored part of it and you can climb up on top of El Castillo about 300 feet up. The bus trip was 2 hours and bumpy but air-conditioned. The lunch that was part of Carnivals excursion was very good. The day was about 7 hours.

Thanks for the info.

I have been to Altun Ha.....it is okay if you have not been to any ruins....but is rather small compared to most.....but it is also the closest one to get to.....

Since we have been to Chichenitza, I am not expecting any of the ruins to compare.

• 1 month later...

I have been to both. Xunantunich is by far the better Mayan Ruins between the two. I too have been to Chichen Itza and I was not disappointed in Xuantunich. It was also not very crowded so it made for a very nice visit.

We will be in Belize City in December. We are trying to decide which of the Mayan Ruins we should visit, Altun Ha or Xunantunich. Has anyone been to both that can recommend one over the other? Thanks for any help.

• 3 weeks later...
Another option would be the Lamanai ruins. They are closer than Xunantunich and you arrive by river boat. Holwer monkeys live there and howl high above the ruins when they see tourists.

I've considered it but Carnival does not offer it and I'm leery of not using them and maybe being left behind. Maybe I worry too much?

How does it compare to Xunantunich?

I just visited Xunantunich last month, I must say it was an amazing adventure. It took about 2 hours to get there but there was much scenery along the way so I wasn't bored. I must say it is large in comparison to Altun Ha and has much higher structures. We booked through mrbelizeacavetubing.com. Either of the ruins you take Im sure you wont regret! :D