Campolady on Malaga Spain

MitchellS

Campolady,

I just started reading threads today & noticed you offer guidance on Malaga. We arrive on 9/9 from 11:30-6:30 and I have some questions based on your earlier posts for an itinerary.

Should we take cab to Gibralfaro castle first and buy dual ticket for Alcazaba?

Next walk to Alcazaba castle.

Then take elevator down to rear of town. Next walk to amphitheater.

Then visit Cathedral & finally Atarazanas market.

Finally, should we take city shuttle or train f/ city center back to ship?

Also, is there any need to purchase "Foosteps Through Malaga" book?

Also, you said shops are closed from 1:30 -5pm; is this everyday?

Thanks

Campolady,

I just started reading threads today & noticed you offer guidance on Malaga. We arrive on 9/9 from 11:30-6:30 and I have some questions based on your earlier posts for an itinerary.

Should we take cab to Gibralfaro castle first and buy dual ticket for Alcazaba?

Next walk to Alcazaba castle.

Then take elevator down to rear of town. Next walk to amphitheater.

Then visit Cathedral & finally Atarazanas market.

Finally, should we take city shuttle or train f/ city center back to ship?

Also, is there any need to purchase "Foosteps Through Malaga" book?

Also, you said shops are closed from 1:30 -5pm; is this everyday?

Thanks

No need to purchase the ´Footsteps´ book - it is just a useful tool rather than essential reading.

Your itinerary sounds fine except for the Atarazanas market section as this closes at 2.00 (stalls start to close from 1.oo p.m. onwards) so would not be open at the end of your trip. As you do not dock until late morning you would have to do this first then get a cab or bus up to Gibralfaro. http://www.andalucia.com/cities/mala...zas-market.htm

Yes. shops have siesta every day. Some small shops stay open in high season but most do close. Tapas Bars and restaurants will all be open though

From the Cathedral it is only a fairly short walk back to the port entrance where you will find shuttle buses back to your ship - although if you have any energy left it is a shame to miss the Muelle Uno development (shops, bars and restaurants within the port grounds) which you would pass if you walk through the port to your ship.

• 1 year later...

Campolady, I have been reading your posts on Malaga. We are going to be there on April 7, 2016, and wish to see the Gibralfaro castle, Alcazaba, The Roman Ruins, the Ataranzas market, and visit Calle Larios. We are in port from 7 am to 5 pm. Do you have any suggestions on the best way to see these? Any particular order, so that we don't get there when things are closed? Any help is very much appreciated!

Campolady, I have been reading your posts on Malaga. We are going to be there on April 7, 2016, and wish to see the Gibralfaro castle, Alcazaba, The Roman Ruins, the Ataranzas market, and visit Calle Larios. We are in port from 7 am to 5 pm. Do you have any suggestions on the best way to see these? Any particular order, so that we don't get there when things are closed? Any help is very much appreciated!

I would suggest that you start with the Ataranzas market as this opens earliest (8 a.m.) then visit the shops on Calle Larios that open at 10 a.m. After that take a bus or cab up to Gibralfaro Castle then descend to the Alcazaba finishing at the Roman Ruins which are immediately below the Alcazaba. Everywhere will close for siesta at 2 p.m.

Have a wonderful day in Malaga.

Edited by campolady