Leaving Tomorrow - Thanks to All for Advice

pumpkinlady

Hello everyone. Although I've "lurked" more than I've posted, I want to thank everyone for your comments, excursion suggestions and advice onwhat to see & do in Alaska. When we were first planning our trip, friends of ours told us we didn't have to decide on excursions beforehand; we could see what's available when we got there. Nope, not true based on reading Cruise Critic ;) And my "inner planner" is glad I found these boards!

My DH & I are on our first cruise, and first trip to Alaska, on the Infinity r/t from Vancouver on 8/14. With your help, I'm prepared with important things like bonine; layered clothing; 2 pairs of binoculars including our new 10 x 50's; digital & 35 mm cameras, and of course, a positive attitude.

We're looking forward to whalewatching with Capt. Larry on his new boat; a floatplane trip with Island Wings; hiking at Mendenhall Glacier; salmon bake at Thane Ore; a visit to the Raptor Center; and exploring each port - just to name a few things. We'll also be spending some time in Vancouver - one night pre-cruise to get there the night before departure, and 2 days when we come back.

The enthusiasm of everyone here, from experienced cruisers (including Budget Queen, Yukon, jstducky, CruiseIsGood, Coral, SourDoughSteve, to name a few) to first-timers (lots of you!), is contagious. :) We're looking forward to seeing the beauty of Alaska & to new experiences.

When we get back, I'll add my trip report to the rest so that I can share my experiences with others. I've enjoyed reading many of the trip reports, even when people went to places we're not going. (I think we'll have to take another cruise so we can travel Murray's scenic route to Emerald Lake!) Will also try to post pictures; I think I've twisted DH's arm enough so that he'll put those up. Note that I didn't exactly promise when that would happen ;)

Once again, thanks to everyone for sharing your advice, experience and enthusiasm for Alaska. And to those who, like me, are also leaving soon, I wish you a good trip & smooth sailing.

Archived