Sea turtle release in Cabo or PV?

KatieBug28

Hello!

We are going to be cruising to Cabo and PV next year on the Carnival Miracle (2 days in Cabo, 1 long day in PV). I would love to do the baby sea turtle release excursion I've seen there, but it sounds like it can be tough to make it work with the cruise schedule.

Has anyone had success with this? Is it an experience worth doing? And how did it work with other excursions? Were you able to do something else during the day, and then do the turtles later?

Thanks for all your help! I'm so glad I discovered this forum, I'm learning so much!

Turtle release in Cabo can be tough for cruisers. Some of the resorts offer it, but you have to be there at precisely the right time. There is a private (non-profit) outfit that "stages" their releases in Cabo (well, actually towards Todos Santos) several times a week, and we took advantage of it last year. Our family is booked again this year (in late October), but it takes place late in the afternoon (almost dark), to provide the baby turtles the best opportunity to survive. Those on a cruise ship often (normally) have to be back aboard the ship way too early for it. I cannot answer for PV. Although we now visit there once a year, we've no knowledge of turtle releases there. It is a wonderful experience, and has become one of the highlights of our trip to Cabo.

[added]

I should add that there is a commercial outfit that will take cruisers to the same place that we go to in Cabo. You will receive the same experience as we, just for more money, but I have to admit, have you never done a turtle release, the extra money that you pay may very well be worth it! You will smile for days! ummm...weeks...okay...a year later, I am still smiling...

Edited by downsized

Thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it!

I will look into it and see if we can figure out a way to make it happen. I think my little girls would love it! And I'll admit, I get a little misty eyed thinking about helping Squirt from Finding Nemo find his way to the Big Old Blue :)

Turtle release programs, like whale watching, is a seasonal activity. It would be helpful if we knew when your cruise was scheduled next year.

Miracle appears to have two versions of the 7-day MR itinerary. One spends two days at Cabo (but leaves at 6 PM on day 1 with return at 7 AM the next morning) with a 9-9 day in Vallarta. The other itinerary has two days in Vallarta (with an overnight stay) and one day in Cabo.

I believe the various turtle releases often occur at or shortly after sunset. This would require you to start the excursion at roughly 6 PM and I believe most take 2-3 hours.

For your cruise, if this is an important activity for your family, you might consider booking a resort/hotel room in Cabo so you can stay ashore when the boat pulls out at the end of day 1. I don't think you have time to do this type activity in Vallarta as you will likely have to back aboard the ship before the excursion ends. (or book the cruise that overnights in Vallarta).

Good luck & enjoy

Turtle release programs, like whale watching, is a seasonal activity. It would be helpful if we knew when your cruise was scheduled next year.

Miracle appears to have two versions of the 7-day MR itinerary. One spends two days at Cabo (but leaves at 6 PM on day 1 with return at 7 AM the next morning) with a 9-9 day in Vallarta. The other itinerary has two days in Vallarta (with an overnight stay) and one day in Cabo.

I believe the various turtle releases often occur at or shortly after sunset. This would require you to start the excursion at roughly 6 PM and I believe most take 2-3 hours.

For your cruise, if this is an important activity for your family, you might consider booking a resort/hotel room in Cabo so you can stay ashore when the boat pulls out at the end of day 1. I don't think you have time to do this type activity in Vallarta as you will likely have to back aboard the ship before the excursion ends. (or book the cruise that overnights in Vallarta).

Good luck & enjoy

Actually, in my opinion, I would book through your cruise line. If they do not, or cannot book it, I don't think that I would risk missing my ship.

As for booking a room overnight in Cabo, I cannot disagree. You can find a room in town, enjoy a wonderful time, inexpensive (and great) food, cheap beverages, and enjoy the local hospitality. The one concern (and I do have to admit to being a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy), is if for some reason your ship cannot dock the next morning....extremely unlikely, but the possibility, does most certainly exist.

We found Cabo 6 years ago, while on a cruise, and absolutely fell in love with it. We've not cruised since. We now travel twice a year to Cabo, once to PV, spend 10 days at a time, and leave with a heavy heart each time, waiting for our next trip.

Sorry, I blathered. Enjoy your cruise to Cabo, and PV. We love them both.

We will be there in October, so the turtles are "in season".

I believe I have found a solution in Puerto Vallarta. They usually go at night, but they can do a sunset turtle release for cruise ship passengers. It doesn't include watching the mothers lay eggs on the beach, which would be amazing, but that's OK. The ship leaves at 9 p.m., so hopefully that will be plenty of time. I don't want the hassle of hauling a bag around Cabo so that we can spend the night.

I haven't seen anything with sea turtles offered by the ship, so that's why I was looking to book elsewhere. But if the ship does offer it, I would book that just so we know we make it back! Normally I'm all for booking my own, but in the evening, it might be nice to have a safety net.

Sounds like you have a plan. I've never seen turtle release based excursion offered by the cruise lines. I'll leave you with a bit of Mexican Riviera trivia that often affects people who book independent tours in Vallarta.

The industry, in general, adjusts the ship's clocks to match local time for Cabo (and Mazatlan). However, most do not adjust ship's time to match local time in Puerto Vallarta (ship's time is typically 1 hour behind Vallarta local time). Don't be surprised if it's 9 AM on the ship's end of the gangway and 10 AM on the Vallarta end.

Additionally, Carnival has gotten in the habit of publishing its Mexican Riviera arrival/departure times as they match ship's time. Don't be surprised if your actual time in PV is 10-10 local Vallarta time.

Traffic on the MR forum has been pretty light lately so I suggest you verify with other Carnival cruiser's what their time zone experience has been in PV.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

We will be there in October, so the turtles are "in season".

I believe I have found a solution in Puerto Vallarta. They usually go at night, but they can do a sunset turtle release for cruise ship passengers. It doesn't include watching the mothers lay eggs on the beach, which would be amazing, but that's OK. The ship leaves at 9 p.m., so hopefully that will be plenty of time. I don't want the hassle of hauling a bag around Cabo so that we can spend the night.

I haven't seen anything with sea turtles offered by the ship, so that's why I was looking to book elsewhere. But if the ship does offer it, I would book that just so we know we make it back! Normally I'm all for booking my own, but in the evening, it might be nice to have a safety net.

That's not a bad plan. I would contact them, explain that you will be on a cruise ship, your arrival time, and your departure time. The excursion folks make their living making tourists happy. I would bet that they know exactly the local time that you arrive and depart, and can tell you if their excursion can fit your time schedule.