Wine and drinks in checked luggage

txjudy54

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale on Sept. 20th for a cruise on the Glory. Since we are flying from Dallas, can I pack my wine and sodas in my checked luggage? Will be need to take it out of our checked luggage and put them in our carryon before getting on the ship? TIA

I was wondering if sodas would be ok. We will be transferred from the plane by Carnival so we won't be able to stop and pick up any dr. peppers. I really want to carry some bottles in my checked bags. Has anyone done this? TIA

I use Jet Bags which can be ordered from Amazon I believe, or definitely from Bed Bath and Beyond. Just do an online search for Jet Bag for wine. Protects the bottle, and in case of breakage, absorbs the wine so nothing is ruined.:D:D

Very cool! Have never heard of these before!

We were in baggage claim once when a couple was pulling their luggage off of the carousel and alcohol was literally pouring out of the bag!:eek: They were coming home from a cruise and had several bottle of rum in their suitcases --what a mess.

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale on Sept. 20th for a cruise on the Glory. Since we are flying from Dallas, can I pack my wine and sodas in my checked luggage? Will be need to take it out of our checked luggage and put them in our carryon before getting on the ship? TIA

Just an FYI, there is a Publix grocery store near the port. If you are taking a cab to the terminal from the airport just ask the driver to bring you by there. That's what we do. They have a big wine selection, I don't remember hard liquor, then again we just bring wine on board. They were pretty lax with the amount you brought on in your carry-ons. We grabbed 5 bottles between two backpacks, and nothing was said. What they questioned was our rolls of quarters since they looked odd on the x-ray machine. Good luck.

will sodas hold up in the cargo area of an airplane?

Yes.

Will they explode and ruin your clothing?

No.

I have done both.

Once I forgot to remove my drinks & wine after flying from Dallas to FLL....and they made it right to my room no problem.

I usually check a small suitcase with nothing but our drinks at the airport. Then I don't have to do any scrambling once at the port. I just open it up and show it to them. Then I can roll it aboard and I'm ready to go.

Hi Txjudy54, just out of curiosity, how do you plan on packing the bottle of wine to avoid breakage? I may want to pack a bottle of wine if the future. I don't think Carnival allows boxed wine.

I use bubble wrap for my wine. Never had a problem with breakage. While waiting for the shuttle to the ship, I switch the bottle out of checked luggage to carry-on.

We have been on 8 cruises and have always put a 6 pack of sodas and water in a small checked bag and had no problem except for one time. That time, I locked the suitcase and got a letter under the door that it was confiscated and we needed to go to security to retrieve it. They had us unlock the bag and they inspected the bottles. When they were satisfied that the bottles had not been tampered with, they gave us the bag and drinks and sent us on our merry way. Lesson learned....no more locked bags. We sail tomorrow on our 9th cruise and have our 2-6 packs in the small checked bag.

Misslucy01