Helmet diving in Cozumel

cruiseescape

The name helmet "dive" is miss leading. It is more like a walk on the ocean floor than a dive. I haven't done it, but my recommendation would to be to try snuba instead unless there is some specific reason for having to have your head in a bubble. If you walk on the ocean floor, it will be a sand bottom since you can not walk on the coral and you won't see much more than fish. If you snuba, especially from a boat, you will see corals, sponges, and much more since you won't be walking on it.

The helmet walk is done at Chankanaab park and can be done on your own or thru the ship.

This is what the gear looks like:

13Helmet-dive.jpg

Thanks Bruce-r! Great Picture!!! But if you do snuba you have to be able to swim and everyone with us can't swim...that's why we thought this might be a better idea. :)
Well, I suppose not knowing how to swim might make snuba a bit more difficult. ;) so I suppose that the helmet thingy would be a pretty good compromise.

Thanks for the info....now I am reconsidering the helmet dive....maybe I will go buy a prescritpion mask and go snorkel at Dzul Ha.
Depending if you are near sighted or far sighted, you might be able to get by without buying a prescription mask. A couple of companies make inserts that cling to the inside of the mask and give you a kind of bifocal action. Check out this

Review

Archived