Waterproof camera or iPhone 5s case?

alligeek

Hey everyone,

After nearly destroying our camera on our last cruise when sand at Horseshoe Bay got into the camera body, I'm determined to find a more robust solution for our upcoming cruise.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a rugged (Canon D30 or Nikon AW120). I'm not planning to bring my DSLR to the beach, but I'd like to get some decent pictures. I've been pleasantly surprised with the photos that my iPhone 5s takes, so I'm tempted to go with a rugged/waterproof/dustproof case for that. We don't need another point-and-shoot camera, but I'm not opposed to buying one.

What would you all recommend?

You should get a dedicated underwater camera.

Your iPhone (or any smartphone) is used for many other things than taking pictures. It would be a big annoyance if it is damaged. Besides the battery will drain fast, especially if you use it for video.

I don't know the two cameras you mention so cannot comment on them. A Gopro would be overkill I think.

Thank you everyone... just an update (in the event that someone else has a similar question), we decided to go with a Nikon Coolpix AW120. Thank you for your suggestions and advice, and Tom, for the comparison information. You're all correct--I'd rather shell out the moolah for a new camera than destroy my phone!