Stingrays

kchesneylover

I am excited to go on the Barrier Reef Snorkel and Rendezvous Key Beach Break Excursion with Coral Breeze. However, I am wondering why I have not read one thread about people being concerned about the stingrays 'stinging' them. Are people not scared of this? Are the stingrays so used to tourists they don't sting? I was brought up to always be scared of these creatures as they could kill you with their tail.

I am booking this excursion regardless of my fear and am doing it - hell or highwater. I was just wondering what others thought? Any insight would be appreciated!

Among other things, Coral Breeze is an operator in Belize. Not aware that they do a Rendezvous Beach Break excursion but maybe they do. CB does have a Shark/Ray Alley and Caye Caulker excursion.

But no, nobody is afraid of the stingrays at Stingray City or Shark/Ray Alley. They are not aggressive and will remind you of pets just looking for a handout.

I likened them to household cats. Once they got the idea that there was "free" food around, they would swim up against people's legs, looking for a handout.

I imagine that they would only sting if they were settled on the bottom and somebody jumped (or maybe just stepped) on them.

Our guide lifted a few of them for pictures, and he handed me this one (and took my picture with my camera). He even showed us the stinger on one and let us touch it.

steve_stingray.jpg

Thank you, Zydeco - Yes I do believe that operator is in Belize. I was wondering why I couldnt find my post in the Belize ports of call message board!

And thank you, Susky for the very cool picture!!! That is awesome!!!! Now I think I won't be too scared of them if little children can go around them~ I guess I am a wimp!

I am excited to go on the Barrier Reef Snorkel and Rendezvous Key Beach Break Excursion with Coral Breeze. However, I am wondering why I have not read one thread about people being concerned about the stingrays 'stinging' them. Are people not scared of this? Are the stingrays so used to tourists they don't sting? I was brought up to always be scared of these creatures as they could kill you with their tail.

I am booking this excursion regardless of my fear and am doing it - hell or highwater. I was just wondering what others thought? Any insight would be appreciated!

An interesting article about stingrays: http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/topics/lh_stingray_city.htm

Archived