TSA Getting Friendlier, Brings Danger

They state no more removing shoes or patdowns, but now razorblades & knives are allowed? Read this:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PASSENGER_SCREENING?SITE=NVLAS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Not only has this not been implemented, it hasn't even been discussed yet. IF they decide next month to implement these changes (except the shoe thing), I'll be complaining.

Barb

I agree, knives, razor blades and box cutters should not be allowed past security, however...the truth is, the bad guys are already getting them through anyway.

What concerns me more is the cell phones (can be used to detonate a bomb). Also, we have reasons to turn on the seatbelt sign. Sometimes we have the flightdeck turn on the seatbelt sign for security reasons and people think they can ignore it because they "just want to use the bathroom". Also, hanging around "stretching your legs" in the galley areas is a very big security threat to us, please don't do this, we need the area clear so we can watch each other and move fast if necessary. When we have a galley full of passengers the other flight attendants don't know if it is a diversion or just passengers hanging out. Remember, on 9/11 the first thing the terrorist did was slit the throats of the flight attendants and we have this on our minds at all times.

Yippee! Sanity may some day be restored. No more shoe dance at the airport, and no more lost pen knives. And maybe, just maybe, a metal butter knife to cut my food with once again instead of a plastic one!

Yet they will not allow you to have a lighter, only 4 books of matches. Go try and figure out the goverments rational on this one. We are thinking about allowing you to have razor blades but don't try and bring on a lighter.:eek:

Lon

Yet they will not allow you to have a lighter, only 4 books of matches. Go try and figure out the goverments rational on this one. We are thinking about allowing you to have razor blades but don't try and bring on a lighter.:eek:

LonToday 02:31 PM

Exactly what I was thinking

Anyone who flies a lot knows that most of the security measures we've implemented are nothing more than feel-good stuff. I've flown 100K miles/year for the last several years. Practically live in airports. These rules change makes a lot of sense. A plane will never be hijacked with a box cutter, or even a knife, again. First, the passengers are no longer sheep. All the namby pamby crap about "just cooperate" is out the window, and good riddance. You can't hold off several determined passengers with a knife. Second, the crew will never again allow someone into the cockpit just because they're threatening a flight attendant. No cockpit access, no way to crash the plane. Besides, if you're looking for a cutting implement you can hold to the throat of a flight attendant, there are always plenty of ways to get those onboard. Let's stop holding up the security line while grampa grumps at grandma about forgetting to take her manicure scissors out of the toiletries kit.

None of which means that we've actually gotten serious about air security in the U.S. As long as we're oh-so-deathly-afraid of profiling, so that young Arab men are no more likely to be selected for security screening than my 77yo, Korea-veteran dad who walks with a cane (and who always forgets to take something out of his pockets, so he's actually more likely to get patted down than the Arab guy), we're not serious about security. As long as air marshalls are so easily identifiable that there's no question whether or not there's one on the flight, we're not serious about security. As long as we're still arguing over whether pilots should have access to a gun in the cockpit, or making them put it in a locked box where it's inaccessible if you actually need it, we're not really serious about security.

We do a lot of feel-good going through the motions that impresses people who don't consider the airport a second home, but not enough of it has actually made anything safer. But if the proposed rules changes indicate that new guy heading the TSA is more focused on things that work than on things that just feel good, that'd be a good thing.

I agree with 633. I flew almost weekly in 2003 and 2004 (thankfully have cut down on that this year). The measures they implemented shortly after 9/11 are mostly just to make you feel safer. They do prevent some things from getting on a plane and of course have the supposed "no fly" list. However the terrorists are crafty. If they want to get something on a plane I am sure they'll figure something out. Also, most planes already have items on them that could be used as weapons. Last time I checked, the first class cabin has a corkscrew for opening wine (unless all planes have switched to screw-caps??). Also, a broken bottle would seem to be useful for cutting someone. In fact, I think you can bring bottles of liquor and wine onboard with you. See it all the time for folks coming back from cruises with duty-free rum, etc.

IMHO, we're in much more danger from the activities allowed once you're on the plane. Passengers shouldn't be allowed to gather in any area of the plane. For those who have flown first class, they make an announcement that the lavatories in the front are for those passengers only. That isn't meant to be a "slight" to coach passengers - just trying to reduce the number of people that are headed up around the cockpit door. Not sure if you've noticed but whenever one of the pilots needs to use the lavatory, the flight attendant will block the aisle with one of the beverage carts, I suppose to prevent someone from "charging".

633 & Max Circus

Amen- I couldn't agree more. My personal favorite was the substitution of a plastic knife for a dull bladed metal one. Of corse, we still had the sharp pronged metal fork... And if you want a weapon to poke somebody's eye out or stab their jugular- a ball point pen or a pencil in the right hands could be dangerous.

633 & Max Circus

Amen- I couldn't agree more. My personal favorite was the substitution of a plastic knife for a dull bladed metal one. Of corse, we still had the sharp pronged metal fork... And if you want a weapon to poke somebody's eye out or stab their jugular- a ball point pen or a pencil in the right hands could be dangerous.

Right. From watching Oz on HBO you can apparently stab someone to death with something as benign as a toothbrush. Or cleverly dismantle a disposable razor and create a bladed weapon.

I know - let's ban all sundry kits.

Archived