hammock on a balcony?

pbsteve

If it were removed when not is use then I don't believe this would be an issue. i like a hammock as much as the next guy. But they make announcements to the point of NOT leaving clothing or other items on the balconies. I am certain they would have an issue with this being left out there. I have been on some cruises that have been so windy that a hammock tied up on the railing would at the very least be flapping around like a flag. If I were your neighbor I would be calling guest services to have the noise stopped.

But as long as it were put up for use and then removed, I see no big issue with it. Does not look like tying it up and taking it down would be that difficult.

Wouldn't be worth the trouble for me. That thing would require a lot of packing space.

Actually the ENO double nest fits into a bag that is about 4" by 6". It is mainly used by "backpackers" in liue of a tent, and is extremely lightweight. The hammock probably weighs less then a shoe.

What exactly doesn't seem safe about it?

I agree. This looks fine, although I'd want to see how it is tied off. The ironwork that frames in the balconies is extremely heavy-duty, so as long as it isn't tied off on a hinge or something, I can't see how it would be a problem. Plus the bottom looks to be about a foot off the ground, even with no one in it, so safety is not an issue. I agree with the subsequent post that you'd probably need to take it down in port.

I agree. This looks fine, although I'd want to see how it is tied off. The ironwork that frames in the balconies is extremely heavy-duty, so as long as it isn't tied off on a hinge or something, I can't see how it would be a problem. Plus the bottom looks to be about a foot off the ground, even with no one in it, so safety is not an issue. I agree with the subsequent post that you'd probably need to take it down in port.

These type of hammocks are super easy to put up or take down. Won't be a problem as long as attachment point is strong. Straps on these are safe.

We are booking an AFT cabin for our cruise in February on the Valor. Which deck Upper or Verandah is the better location. Is one deck larger than the other? Is there a little shade on either deck? Is one of the decks a little more "private" than the other or basically if I am out on my deck reading a book is everyone above me going to be able to look over the railing and watch me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We own an ENO DoubleNest and Atlas straps. I took some pictures of it on our most recent cruise. This is on the Valor in #7268 - an ocean suite. It should work just the same on a regular balcony if you use the rail point at one divider and the top point at the other divider. We had plenty of room besides the hammock. We only hung it when we were using it for fire prevention. The Atlas straps make for a quick install. The whole thing is the size of a grapefruit and weighs less than a shoe. My husband and I traveled for 2 weeks (land and sea) with only one backpack each. Our gear included this hammock, straps, 2 sets of snorkel gear etc.... It was super relaxing to have the hammock. We spent time in it every day for a couple of hours, usually when leaving ports. We also used it on our land trip in various locations. You should be able to see how it is installed from the pictures. The one of the entire hammock was taken with my husband inside. he is purposely wrapped up inside and hiding from the camera, lol. This hammock is actually really comfy and you can lay side by side with it flattened out pretty well. Its very versatile. By the time I was also in it with him, our bottoms were less than 12 inches from the floor. No danger of falling, either on the floor or overboard.

My husband and I were in the Love and Marriage show on this sailing. I told the CD about our hammock. I got a fist bump for it - not a scolding. He tried to be funny and mention the cameras that can see into your balcony.... but when I shot him the stink eye, he admitted that the cameras cannot see into the balconies :)

P1050103.jpg

P1050105.jpg

P1050107.jpg

P1050106.jpg

P1050104.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thought I would come back and post a couple of pictures. Got back from the Miracle yesterday and used our ENO double nest on our balcony. We had an Ocean Suite, so extra room, and used our straps over the middle support. We only used it in port and it was awesome.

f9293011b595f41c51dc4b9e2b9a4190.jpg36b20d74b7375368839841962a4a0320.jpg

Edited by Wavesprite