Silver Whisper - November 2, 2005

joefromchicago

But, first, hey, Joe, way to go! The Sox waited a long time, but were darn convincing. I guess you've started celebrating, and it should carry you through the cruise.

Kristin, I'm so glad that you made it through Wilma unscathed. Sounds like a very scary night, though.

I just saw that the Fort Lauderdale Airport and nearby Port Everglades are reopening this morning. The story is at: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-ctransportation27oct27,0,7283056.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines.

You can see, though, that traffic lights are still out in the area.

--Rich

Yes congratulations Joe. Time to open that bottle of champagne!!!

Speaking of champagne, our order came in on Tuesday and we cracked open a bottle of the Pommery Brut Royal and toasted our upcoming cruise. It was really good. Made us even more anxious to get onboard!

Only a few more days for you guys. I hope all the storms settle down a bit and we both have calm seas and sunny weather.

Yes congratulations Joe. Time to open that bottle of champagne!!!

Speaking of champagne, our order came in on Tuesday and we cracked open a bottle of the Pommery Brut Royal and toasted our upcoming cruise. It was really good. Made us even more anxious to get onboard!

Only a few more days for you guys. I hope all the storms settle down a bit and we both have calm seas and sunny weather.

With Tropical Storm Beta forming overnight and more waves behind it in the Lesser Antilles expected to develop into TDs and TSs, I'm wondering if we'll be taking our lives in Silversea's hands by sailing the Caribbean! I guess we'll just steer around them!? We are leaving most of our hurricane shutters up until after our cruise. Heck, we might not take them down until Christmas at this rate!

With Tropical Storm Beta forming overnight and more waves behind it in the Lesser Antilles expected to develop into TDs and TSs, I'm wondering if we'll be taking our lives in Silversea's hands by sailing the Caribbean! I guess we'll just steer around them!? We are leaving most of our hurricane shutters up until after our cruise. Heck, we might not take them down until Christmas at this rate!

Yes, it adds a little extra thrill, doesn't it? Maybe too thrilling . . .

Still, my guess is that we'll have pretty decent weather most of the time.

--Rich

I just got off the phone with the people at Bahia Mar Resort, they will be closed until at least November 7th. We are now just trying to find a hotel where we can stay overnight on November 1st. It is not looking real good for a hotel room at this time. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait for the weekend to stay if anything changes.

Oh yes, how about them WHITE SOX.....

Joe

Joe, our Hollywood area hotel cancelled on us, too. We are now staying in Miami, so rather than having the cab ride after our cruise, we'll have it beforehand (we're flying back into MIA after the cruise). Hopefully you will find something soon...but you may have to cab it in to Port Everglades, because we couldn't find anything in the FLL area either.

I am actually quite anxious to ask the staff of the Whisper what their week has been like up in the Northeast. I still can't get over that there was a 105-mph hurricane way up there in the cold water. I am sure the staff was prepared (well, as much as they could be, getting updates from NOAA), but I doubt any of the passengers were as prepared...who looks at the weather reports when you're on a cruise, and who expects to have a hurricane on a fall foliage cruise? Good grief!

Oh, Joe, congratulations on the Sox! :) We're so happy for them...wish we could have actually watched the series, but we were either watching Wilma heading toward us, or without power. But as my husband told me, they were described as the team who could beat any of the modern day teams, as well as the teams from the days of old...Babe Ruth and all that. Quite a feat/accomplishment indeed!!!!

We just found a hotel which can help us, the Holiday Inn Express Convention Center, they are up and running.

I will be wearing my White Sox clothing on this cruise, go figure, so look for a big guy with a Sox hat and tee shirt.

I hope everyones travel plans work out.

Happy Halloween..................Joe

Hi, Kristin, hi, Joe. Happy travels to Port Everglades!

Joe, sounds like you'll be hard to miss.

Finding me will be easy, too: Just look for a guy that looks like he's old enough to know better, but doesn't. Or you could look for a 60'ish couple that looks like they're on their second honeymoon. Uh, wait, won't a lot of folks on the Whisper look like that?

--Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Had a wonderful time, the highlight of our cruise being meeting such wonderful people. Everyone on board this cruise was so friendly!

We noticed both improvements and declines from our previous two Silversea cruises, which I will post more detail about later after catching up on home & work duties.

Joe & Pat, Rich & Gloria, it was so nice to meet you! Hope your travels home were safe and uneventful (although that Barbados airport is the worst we've ever encountered - I know you know what I mean! UGH!)

Had a wonderful time, the highlight of our cruise being meeting such wonderful people. Everyone on board this cruise was so friendly!

We noticed both improvements and declines from our previous two Silversea cruises, which I will post more detail about later after catching up on home & work duties.

Joe & Pat, Rich & Gloria, it was so nice to meet you! Hope your travels home were safe and uneventful (although that Barbados airport is the worst we've ever encountered - I know you know what I mean! UGH!)

It was a pleasure to meet you and Greg, too, Kristin. And, of course, Joe & Pat. You're right, the highlight was the wonderful folks aboard.

I know some people are impatient for reviews, and I hope to write some. But, folks, have mercy. We spent a day and night in Barbados after the cruise, then got home at Midnight Saturday, and spent Sunday recuperating. Now, it's back to being a working stiff, so reports will take a while.

For now, Silversea is marvelous. Sure, you can find things to gripe about if you want, but the overall experience is remarkably wonderful. The ship, the traveling companions, the service, the food and drink, the entertainment are all very, very good. One might be able to find better in any one category, but the balanced combination can't be beat. For example, one might get more personal attention on a smaller ship, but then the entertainment wouldn't be as good. Or one could get better cuisine with a private chef on your own yacht, but then one would miss the benefits that come with traveling with more people.

--Rich

Archived