Embarkation Day Questions

tempusfugits

Our boarding time for an upcoming cruise on the QM2 is for 3:30 PM. And we expect to arrive sometime between 3:00 and 3:30 depending on traffic. For those who have boarded at a similar time in the past - what has been your experience with timing getting on board? And did boarding this late in the day present any problem in getting luggage delivered in a timely way, i.e. prior to dinner if you had late seating?

Also, for those who have travelled on the QM recently, in your opinion, did it seem that passengers had changed from their travel clothes prior to dinner. Just want to be sure we wear something suitable or fit something to change to in our carry-ons - just in the event that the luggage delivery is delayed.

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm assuming you mean Brooklyn...

First...don't worry about the time indicated on your tickets. Come when it's convenient for you (but not before 11AM or so). We drive down from New England to Brooklyn when we take the QM2 and arrive when we arrive...I couldn't tell you the time they assigned me on my ticket, I never look at it and most people do the same.

If you do come at 3-3:30 because it's convenient for you then I would guess you would have next to no one in front of you. I'm saying this because by that time we're usually on the ship looking out at the terminal. New arrivals are at a trickle by that time.

There is wide variety of clothes worn on the first dinner night because people are in various stages of unpacking and de-wrinkling their clothes. My husband will generally wear a sport shirt and khakis to the ship and then throws a sport jacket on for dinner. He looks fine. I will put a shawl on over whatever I wore to the ship and I don't feel the least bit out of place. Of course I don't wear shorts to the ship, if I did I would change to slacks or a skirt.

Have a great trip!

Edited by Cruise NH

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's nice to know that we should be able to get on the ship fairly quickly after we arrive. And great to think that by then the the crowds will have dispersed a bit.

And I appreciate your feedback regarding dressing on the first night. I am now going to relax about that and the luggage delivery. :)

And yes, we will be leaving from Redhook, though this trip we'll be disembarking in Manhattan.

Thanks again.

Tempusfugits, we also live within an easy drive to the cruise terminal. Despite having priority boarding as a result of our World Club benefit, we usually arrive around 2pm, and boarding the ship at that time is one fluid motion - no wait time.

Just to mention that for those boarding at 3:30pm, you will have just enough time after running the gauntlet (security etc) to go to your cabin, secure your valuables in the safe, and freshen up a bit before being called to Muster Drill.

Once we arrived at the Red Hook Pier around 3:30 pm - nasty flash foods in the area delayed us. Based on my personal experience, I recommend you consider getting to the Pier more around Two-ish rather than Three-ish:)