Shorts are now fine for elegant

Crusin Hogs

I was going to say welcome to Cruise Critic where there is dress code discussion everyday

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

LOL...

Yep. That would be true as well.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

Just FYI

On a FB page for Carnival cruisers, posted today by a Glory PAX who just returned:

Shorts were not permitted in the MDR on elegant night -- she said her table location allowed her to see several people in shorts turned away.

We were on the Dream 08/24-08/31 and I also saw people being turned away for shorts on cruise elegant night. A friend was told her 7 year old son would need to change. He was in tailored shorts and a button down shirt. The fun times did specify no shorts on the two cruise elegant nights.

I am confused because the link supposedly showing shorts now ok brings me to something about a pre-cruise hotel stay! LOL. Then again I am technically challenged!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

My first post here but regular reader. I have been on 6 cruises since 92 and so many changes to formal night. My last cruise was on Splendor in April. I had brought my dressy dresses etc for formal night shoes the whole works and then very casual for rest of time. I had twisted up my knee for the second formal night..skipped lunch etc, didnt want room service so I embarrassingly decided to try the MDR in jeans....omg and sneakers......they were clean, dressy type of top...and omg by time i reached MDR, i was in pain...but so grateful they let me in and no dirty looks from folks or staff. So while i "get" those who want the standards of elegant night.....thanks so much

to those who let me in

Just FYI

On a FB page for Carnival cruisers, posted today by a Glory PAX who just returned:

Shorts were not permitted in the MDR on elegant night -- she said her table location allowed her to see several people in shorts turned away.

We were also on the Glory very recently, got back August 30th. My husband WAS told he could NOT wear his shorts. He went back to the cabin and changed.

I posted this already, just restating our experience. He had on Tommy Bahama pressed collared shirt and dress shorts.:)

Main Entry: tai·lored

Pronunciation: \ˈtā-lərd\

Function: adjective

Date: 1862

1 : fashioned or fitted to resemble a tailor's work 2 : custom-made 3 : having the look of one fitted by a custom tailor

Nice is not always tailored... semantics

Some people may think that's ok, but why ruin a great night for a lot of other people and families ? It's one or two nights throughout a cruise and it is called formal night for a good reason. People don't get to dress up much and this is a good night to enjoy that. Casual nights are another thing and I don't believe most people really care about casual dress.i think it borders on disrespectful when someone comes in looking like a redneck on formal night and I consider myself a true redneck, but I respect rules and other people first.. Just saying'..

It's just a joke. Just like some people in certain circles refer to New Jersey as the Oil, Petrochemical, Nuclear, Toxic Waste Landfill state.

Lol. I remember people calling it the " armpit of America". Lol

None if that kind if stuff ever bothers me though. Just humor nothing more.

Oh and I love being Sicilian. Bring on the stereotypes as I will be the first to laugh it off!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some people may think that's ok, but why ruin a great night for a lot of other people and families ? It's one or two nights throughout a cruise and it is called formal night for a good reason. People don't get to dress up much and this is a good night to enjoy that. Casual nights are another thing and I don't believe most people really care about casual dress.i think it borders on disrespectful when someone comes in looking like a redneck on formal night and I consider myself a true redneck, but I respect rules and other people first.. Just saying'..

1. How does this have the potential to "ruin a great night for a lot of other people and families?" If your entire party is allowed into the dining room, why should it matter what others wear? It doesn't change the food you eat.

2. If you're sailing on a ship that is allowing shorts into the dining room, they're allowed. Each Maître d' has different ways to operate their dining room. If it is printed in the Fun Times, it's allowed. Seago2 verified this is how it works on the Carnival Fantasy. It works this way on the ship with the Fantasy dining room. It's a YMMV situation. You'll find out onboard. Maybe the shorter cruises are following different rules like other cruise lines?

3. What's on the website isn't always set in stone. We saw the seasonality with Cheers, but it was replaced with a disclaimer that pricing may be completely different, but you won't find out until you're on the ship. If Princess went by the posted online rules, women wouldn't be allowed to wear a pants suit or a business suit on Formal Night, only an elegant gown or a cocktail dress. There's obviously a reason the Maître d's aren't enforcing that and we all know it.

4. No, it is not "called Formal Night for a reason." That was eliminated years ago. It was replaced by Cruise Elegant, which we have now. Carnival needed to find a way to accommodate their target demographic who was mostly no longer interested in a traditional cruise experience. At the same time, Carnival needed to find a way to push photography sales to increase revenue. Thus, Cruise Elegant was born. You're not getting dressed up for dinner. You're getting dressed up because Carnival's research shows more pictures will be sold if you're dressed somewhat nicer than your everyday clothing.

5. I don't understand your comment about people not being able to dress up much. What's stopping you? You can dress up every night, if you wanted to. I'm sure there are plenty of local establishments and fine steakhouses that would love to host you. Also, there are many who are dressed in business attire when they go to the workplace of work related venues.

6. You last mentioned you respect rules. If it's printed on the Fun Times, that is the rule for that ship, at the Maître d's discretion. If you're that bothered by it, sail with a cruise line that has a more traditional dining experience.

Edited by Disconnections