When to pay tips if we change to MTD

If you pay your grats with OBC you are only paying cost price not actual price!

Tips and gratuities are not cost price they are dollar for dollar value, OBC is a company stated dollar value for cost price goods excluding mark up price.

If you pay grats with OBC you are paying dollar stated value minus mark up profit from cost.

Paying gratuity with OBC is similar to tipping a waitperson with a 2 for 1 meal voucher and expecting their employer to give them the full dollar value of that voucher in cash!

If the cruiseline had for instance a 50% average mark up on goods then by paying grats with OBC you are paying 50% less grats, unless of course you believe RCI makes up that difference out of their profits to pay the staff the correct gratuity!

Once Dynamic Dinning is fully implemented all gratuities will be pre paid as is for MTD now and all non refundable OBC will have to be be spent onboard or lost.

Its a loophole that is very fast tightening:)

And you know this to be a fact how?

While I'll agree with your logic about the 50% markup or more when using OBC in their retail stores on board I have never seen a post on here from anyone with direct knowledge of RCI withholding gratuities from the staff just because they were paid by OBC.

If RCI were actually doing this I am sure that there would have been numerous posts from people who had their waiters and cabin attendants begging them not to tip by using their OBC.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

And you know this to be a fact how?

While I'll agree with your logic about the 50% markup or more when using OBC in their retail stores on board I have never seen a post on here from anyone with direct knowledge of RCI withholding gratuities from the staff just because they were paid by OBC.

If RCI were actually doing this I am sure that there would have been numerous posts from people who had their waiters and cabin attendants begging them not to tip by using their OBC.

Thanks for your post, I too think there would be some posts about the value of OBC and using it to pay gratuities. Many cruisers have OBC from various sources and use it to pay gratuities.