Tipping on Viking River Cruise

oakvillian

Can someone tell me please what is the appropriate amount to tip on a 15 day River Cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam.? Viking suggests 12 Euros per day for general staff and 2 Euros per day for Program Director. Is that just a suggestion or can you give more or less? Also can you tip directly your waiters and your cabin steward? Thanks

We did the suggested tip which was paid when the bill was settled. I thought it was odd to be asked to pay a tip to the program director but we did. Viking did not take our credit card info until the night before we disembarked.

We thought the suggested tipping was on the high side, especially since the onboard currency is in euros. We had nice service but nothing exceptional, there were 50 crew members to 190 passengers.

You have the option to tip directly to the individual but I'd rather be anonymous through the tip pool.

We did the suggested tip our last night via our credit card, but also tipped those we felt had treated us really well a little extra and did directly give it to them. And there were a few staff who had gone above & beyond for us during our week!

To answer your question, you can adjust the tipping to whatever you are comfortable with by visiting the front desk.

Enjoy your trip!

Jerry

Edited by cruisinskier

Thanks, I thought I had read somewhere that you can tip in dollars as well but I'm just seeing Euros mentioned in Viking literature these days. Anyhow, I just prefer to do it anonymously in an envelope, but for those people who went above and beyond, I hope it's not frowned upon to hand them something personally, is it?

Ti