Vacation Protection

katielynn5108

I will be paying in full today for our November 29th sailing on the Sunshine and I will be purchasing the vacation protection. Does anyone have any pros, cons or personal opinions about Carnivals vacation protection plan that I should know about before purchasing? My sister paid in full yesterday and did not purchase the insurance but I believe that this would be best for my family, being as we are taking our two boys (6&3) as well as my mother in law who was only just cleared of her cancer in March. I guess I'm asking just to reassure myself that it's worth it! Any help is appreciated! :) so excited!

Carnival Fascination Honeymoon November 2012

Carnival Sunshine to come November 30, 2014

It's no different than any other insurance -- health, home, car; it's always a waste of money until you need it! :o

We always purchase the insurance, either through Carnival or outside company. To me, the peace of mind is worth it alone. Plus, almost every week we read of a medical evacuation from a ship -- that could easily turn into tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Last year there was a post from a lady whose DH became gravely ill and had to be evacuated from a ship in the Caribbean -- first, to one place (?St. Thomas?) then finally, back to the states. The whole ordeal took weeks, and the resulting tab was over $300,000. :eek: I'm keeping the insurance!

(BTW -- I'm a nurse here in Tampa at a very large medical center. We get patients flown in from ships in the Gulf all the time!)

Oh wow!! Good to know, thank you! I thought the same thing. With two boys, neither of which know the definition of "walk don't run", I can see it already!! I would really hate for their first to cruise be their last because we could never afford another one again if one of them got hurt and we had to pay for those medical expenses! I feel a little more confident knowing I'm not alone. I will definitely feel better with the insurance!

And you got that right. It's a waste of money until you need it!

I will be paying in full today for our November 29th sailing on the Sunshine and I will be purchasing the vacation protection. Does anyone have any pros, cons or personal opinions about Carnivals vacation protection plan that I should know about before purchasing? My sister paid in full yesterday and did not purchase the insurance but I believe that this would be best for my family, being as we are taking our two boys (6&3) as well as my mother in law who was only just cleared of her cancer in March. I guess I'm asking just to reassure myself that it's worth it! Any help is appreciated! :) so excited!

You should investigate the insurance policies, as many do not cover pre-existing conditions unless you buy at the time you book the cruise. If you have booked a while ago, but are just now making final payment and taking the insurance, it may not cover pre-existing, so you should check that out. Certainly, its easier to book with carnival, but you will save money and have more options of coverage going through a 3rd party insurance carrier.

You should investigate the insurance policies, as many do not cover pre-existing conditions unless you buy at the time you book the cruise. If you have booked a while ago, but are just now making final payment and taking the insurance, it may not cover pre-existing, so you should check that out. Certainly, its easier to book with carnival, but you will save money and have more options of coverage going through a 3rd party insurance carrier.

YES! You never PLAN for something to happen. You may want to think about buying it at the time of booking next time. Depending on the company, you get some automatic upgrades to your policy such as a Pre-existing Condition Waiver. Have FUN!!!