Post-Cruise Survey - Fine Print

samiam0403

I just returned from the 4-night sailing on the Imagination yesterday, and received my post-cruise survey from Carnival. As we all know, they draw from completed surveys every month and give away one free cruise. Just for funsies, I was reading the fine print and came across this:

Drawing and Skill-Testing Question for Canadian Residents: If selected entrant is a Canadian resident, in order to win the Prize, the selected entrant must first correctly answer unaided a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question by telephone at a predetermined mutually agreeable time.

I'm sure there's a reason for this, but heck if I know what it is. Anyone know why the Canadian residents have to be good at math under pressure to win? :D

I just returned from the 4-night sailing on the Imagination yesterday, and received my post-cruise survey from Carnival. As we all know, they draw from completed surveys every month and give away one free cruise. Just for funsies, I was reading the fine print and came across this:

Drawing and Skill-Testing Question for Canadian Residents: If selected entrant is a Canadian resident, in order to win the Prize, the selected entrant must first correctly answer unaided a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question by telephone at a predetermined mutually agreeable time.

I'm sure there's a reason for this, but heck if I know what it is. Anyone know why the Canadian residents have to be good at math under pressure to win? :D

***:eek::confused::rolleyes::eek::confused::confused:

Well, I wouldn't be winning anything that's for sure. I suck at math under pressure or not. :(

That is why Canadians have to take a skill test. In the U.S. 2x2=4:)

Hey, guess what? I'm from Canada and 2x2=4 here as well!! :D

Yeah, I read that and DH and I got a laugh about it a few years ago. He even wrote about it in his Glory "Memoir" back in July 2011.

Here's your answer:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51391/why-do-canadian-contestants-have-answer-skill-testing-question

Laws and loopholes.;)

Interesting!! I'm from Canada and didn't know that. I've always wondered why we have to be good at math (which I'm not) to win something. Thanks for finding the answer (and sharing it with us)!! :D

Just for kicks and 'cause I happen to think he's very funny as well as gorgeous:D, I hunted down the entry in DH's review that referenced this, in case anybody here has nothing better to do than read it (as I obviously don't:o):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29823262&postcount=156

Interesting!! I'm from Canada and didn't know that. I've always wondered why we have to be good at math (which I'm not) to win something. Thanks for finding the answer (and sharing it with us)!! :D

No problem! We got a kick out of it when we first read it. There are kooky laws all over the place.:p

Yeah, I read that and DH and I got a laugh about it a few years ago. He even wrote about it in his Glory "Memoir" back in July 2011.

Here's your answer:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51391/why-do-canadian-contestants-have-answer-skill-testing-question

Laws and loopholes.;)

Wow - thanks for that! I thought it might be something like that, but still wanted to share the quirkiness with everyone. :) And I was too lazy to look it up myself. :D

Just for kicks and 'cause I happen to think he's very funny as well as gorgeous:D, I hunted down the entry in DH's review that referenced this, in case anybody here has nothing better to do than read it (as I obviously don't:o):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29823262&postcount=156

It just so happens I DON'T have anything better to do this morning (until my Buckeyes start playing later today), so I read your husband's review. :) I'm going to have to agree with you that he is very funny - hilarious, even! Such a fun read! :D

It just so happens I DON'T have anything better to do this morning (until my Buckeyes start playing later today), so I read your husband's review. :) I'm going to have to agree with you that he is very funny - hilarious, even! Such a fun read!

Thank you! (me somehow taking credit for his humour:p):) You read the whole thing?:eek: Or just the one post? 'Cause if you read the whole thing, you're some kind of amazing speed-reader!:eek::p

The reason a skill-testing question is required is to avoid running afoul of the Criminal Code of Canada prohibitions against illegal gambling. Without the skill-testing question, the give-away would be an illegal lottery. All retail/commercial contests in Canada (e.g., McDonald's Monopoly) are conducted this way. The 'random draw' simply qualifies a contestant to win a prize through a test of skill. The skill-testing question is typically very simple:

Multiply 5 by 12

Add 40 to that product

Divide the sum by 10