pirates q.m.2

casafate

As for the behaviour mentioned in the earlier messages. I just find this kind of behaviour outrageous and I can't believe that they weren't summoned to the purser for a good telling off. It is unacceptable behaviour whether on a cruise ship or in a local restaurant.

Elaine

I have not received any information on either the Pirates ball or the Mask ball, I would also like to join in on any theme nights but this is the first I have heard about them.

Can anyone tell me what to expect on QM2 crossing so I can attempt to obtain some bits and pieces.

Thanks

Phil

Phil

The pirate ball, black and white ball and grand mask ball are on our splendours of the fall leg. On the Westbound crossing we have an ascot ball (hats optional) and a Black and white ball!! Haven't got my Eastbound information yet.

Elaine

We are fortunate enough to be doing a round trip Southampton to Southampton. It is not unknown for us on a 3 week trip to take up to 14 suitcases (medium and large) as a family of 4!! Plus then our hand luggage and hubbies golf clubs!!!!!!

Elaine

The poor porter - he must be buckling under the strain ha! Good job you dont have to think of 'excess baggage' costs. The mind boggles asto owning 14 suitcases & storing them when not in use :)

The ones we have they all store inside one another. We have boarded the rafters in the garage and installed a loft ladder so that we can get to them nice and easy. Also as we have so much I make the family take their own cases to the baggage area!! I wouldn't want to be sued by the luggage porter for a bad back ;) Also after one of our suit bags went missing I don't trust anyone anymore except my husband and son to get the bags to the baggage area!!!!

The kids have cruised now since the 19 year old was 4. Apart from a few days here and there, they have never really had to worry about flying with a suitcase until this summer and then both my daughter and my son's suitcases were over the limit!! So they like the idea of cruising in and out of Southampton!!

Elaine

Elaine, I believe they sell them on the ship the night of the ball.

I'm thinking of being creative and making one before I go.

I have been looking at some websites here in the UK, but they are really expensive. £50 - £100!! There are some sites that have cheaper ones too though. Do you think they will be very expensive on board the ship???

Elaine

You only bring this to light now, so it wasnt the costumes it was their behaviour that was offensive? Had these people not been dressed in pirate attire their manners would have been the same, or are you suggesting that fancy dress brings out the animal in people. You havnt mentioned if any of the crew tried to stop the 'food fight' :confused:

These were passengers who had been for the most part non descript prior to this evening.

They were not in fancy dress as defined by Cunard; rather in Pirate Costumes for an event later in the evening that is only a small part of what occurs on the ship in the evening. This ball is in the Queens Room and can only hold so many passengers. There are many other things going on, by which I mean, Pirates are not the theme for the evening, nor the recommended dress. Most passengers take care to dress for dinner, even on casual nights, so on Cunard we have come to expect others to have the same consideration for their fellow passengers and the ship they are sailing on.

Apparently the Party began early for them as they arrived at their table in high spirits, proceeded to consume more booze and got rowdy. It was as if donning those costumes was license to begin carousing, but they were in a fine restaurant for a five course dinner. The staff did nothing, alternating between ignoring them and shrugging their shoulders at the other diners. Two passengers from one table complained to the Asst Maitre d’ hotel that we later learned said there was nothing he could do as far as throwing food. “Were you hit with food” was his only concern.

Their behavior just compounded everyone in the vicinity’s annoyance. We may have had some effect on them as they never returned to the Dining Room on subsequent evenings.

I have no doubt you will have a great time at this ball which the social hostess goes all out for in decorating the ballroom.

Jeanne

PS: I read one of your earlier posts. Are you sill booked on the Carnival Fascination? We have sailed on Carnival twice. The food is excellent. Am mentioning Carnival as their dining room staff would not tolerate what they perceive improper dress in the DR. Have seen passengers asked to leave for wearing jeans in the DR, whereas on QM2 these are tolerated on casual night.

So, it was the behaviour, not the clothes. I daresay that had the table been dressed to the nines, they would have been just as offensive.

Jane in PHL

Jane:

Please see my previous post to Helena. They were only badly behaved in the DR on this night, the costume seemed to inspire them to act silly as did the booze they were consuming. As I wrote above, the behavior componded what was already inappropriate in the minds of everyone in the vicinity (under the mural/in the center of the BDR).

When they were dressed well on formal night, they behaved well as far as we could tell. But then Captain Wright was also there right next to them that evening - however - he was not present the other 5 or so nights they were in the BDR and they were properly dressed with no untoward behavior.

Jeanne

Do they have stores like "Party City" in the USA in the UK? These places sell an assortment of masks. The ship will have small black masks and red bandanas (these used to be gratis on QE2, but cost on QM2).

On QE2 few wore costumes, but the men did wear the masks and bandanas as there were handed out at the door. ON QM2, about 75% of the attendees were in no form of costume whatsover.

Jeanne

I have not received any information on either the Pirates ball or the Mask ball, I would also like to join in on any theme nights but this is the first I have heard about them.

Can anyone tell me what to expect on QM2 crossing so I can attempt to obtain some bits and pieces.

Thanks

Phil

Phil:

Pirates Night would only be held for a Bermudian or Caribean cruise (not sure about Canada). On a crossing you will have Ascot Ball. On all sailings there is a Black and White Ball. When you get that brochure about the crossing they send after final payment is made it will list the Balls for your sailing.

Jeanne

Phil:

Pirates Night would only be held for a Bermudian or Caribean cruise (not sure about Canada). On a crossing you will have Ascot Ball. On all sailings there is a Black and White Ball. When you get that brochure about the crossing they send after final payment is made it will list the Balls for your sailing.

Jeanne

There is a pirate ball on the splendours of the fall cruise departing on the 26th September.

Elaine

Do they have stores like "Party City" in the USA in the UK? These places sell an assortment of masks. The ship will have small black masks and red bandanas (these used to be gratis on QE2, but cost on QM2).

On QE2 few wore costumes, but the men did wear the masks and bandanas as there were handed out at the door. ON QM2, about 75% of the attendees were in no form of costume whatsover.

Jeanne

Don't think the guys would partake in the spirit of the fancy dress theme evenings, but my daughter certainly fancied a mask. I just thought I would look into it before we leave the UK. I have not heard of party city so I expect they don't have them here. Will have to wait and see if I can find anything reasonably priced as it's a one off!!!!!

Elaine

Don't think the guys would partake in the spirit of the fancy dress theme evenings, but my daughter certainly fancied a mask. I just thought I would look into it before we leave the UK. I have not heard of party city so I expect they don't have them here. Will have to wait and see if I can find anything reasonably priced as it's a one off!!!!!

Elaine

In any event, you won't feel out of place as most passengers are not in costume, nor masked. I am sure your daughter will love it!

Jeanne

Elaine, I remember reading in the older programs that I had sent you the link to that the masks ran from a few dollars to $10.00 for a feathered mask to $15.00 for the Venician types. Prices may have gone up a bit but the prices then didn't seem too bad. How did you find out that the westbound crossing is having an Ascot and the Black and White balls only. I figured that we would have the masquerade ball too since we have 3 formal nights. Oh well I still can't wait to dress up too. I'm bringing 3 gowns, I live for those formal nights it is very special!

Elaine, I remember reading in the older programs that I had sent you the link to that the masks ran from a few dollars to $10.00 for a feathered mask to $15.00 for the Venician types. Prices may have gone up a bit but the prices then didn't seem too bad. How did you find out that the westbound crossing is having an Ascot and the Black and White balls only. I figured that we would have the masquerade ball too since we have 3 formal nights. Oh well I still can't wait to dress up too. I'm bringing 3 gowns, I live for those formal nights it is very special!

It is in my pre cruise brochure on page 3!! It just has the Ascot ball and the officers (which from what I can make it is the Captains Gala ball) Black and white ball. I haven't received my Eastbound crossing paperwork yet. T/A was still awaiting it when I picked up the others.

Many thanks for giving me an idea of the prices. Probably just get her one on board!! Trouble is I do like to be different and assume that the one's for sale on board will be quite popular!!

Can you give me the link again as we have changed our computer and I don't seem to have everything on here. The guys transferred most stuff but not everything!!!! You can e mail me at elaine61@fsmail.net

Many Thanks

Elaine

• 2 weeks later...

about the pirates night.

just a thought i went 2 a fortyth brthday bash the theme was pirates every one made an efort a the night was a great sucsses. if every one on board made the same efort im sure everyone can have a night 2 remember. david :)

Archived