dress summary

blue_crystal

I am beginning to get the impression that I am not going to please all the other guests all of the time by the way I dress, I have already packed,, and have tried to conform with all the recommendations regarding dress. (I have almost packed my entire wardrobe) I am beginning to think maybe I should have joined a Naturist cruise, (Problem solved!)

I hope my appearance will not offend nor embarrass, and I will do my best to head count on the different mode of dress and report back on my return.

One thing is for sure, I will be clean, paid for and hopefully not the entertainment for the evening.

OOOOmmmm this is still causing some debate. My view of the dress code and one which has been confirmed to me by cunard here in the UK is pretty much what we wear when on board the P & O ships!! I wouldn't say that they were any lesser than QM2 or QE2, but maybe being aimed at the UK market just a different product. To quote Cunard's UK brochure, Formal is tuxedo (or formal dark suit) for men. Evening gown or other formal attire for women. Informal, Jacket and tie for men, Cocktail dress, dressy trouser suit or similar for women. Casual, for men slacks (presume they mean trousers to us Brits) and a sweater or shirt, for women skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse. No mention of a jacket or a tie in the brochure for casual nights. I have been told by Cunard that they don't like jeans in the restaurant. Now this may prove tricky when it comes to my son as to him jeans are casual!! Still he knows my feelings on the dress code and I expect him to wear these during the day only. There is a very interestinig comment in the P & O brochure about casual wear. They state that open necked shirts and long trousers for men (jackets are most definately not required), casual seperates or dresses for ladies. We would request that sportswear, eg trainers and track suits are not worn!!!!!! Quite right too!!!!!!!

Elaine

I am beginning to get the impression that I am not going to please all the other guests all of the time by the way I dress, I have already packed,, and have tried to conform with all the recommendations regarding dress. (I have almost packed my entire wardrobe) I am beginning to think maybe I should have joined a Naturist cruise, (Problem solved!)

I hope my appearance will not offend nor embarrass, and I will do my best to head count on the different mode of dress and report back on my return.

One thing is for sure, I will be clean, paid for and hopefully not the entertainment for the evening.

Rula

Please don't worry about what you have packed. As I said at the start of this thread as long as YOU feel special when you leave that cabin for your evening meal, then that is all that matters. To heck with the rest of them!!!! Have a great time and please come back and post your views of the dress code!!

Elaine

Rula and Grace,

You two both sound like you got it goin' on!

I'm sure your trips will be great fun for you and I look toward your postings once back.

:) Yes! "Clean, paid for and hopefully not the entertainment for the evening":), that's the spirit! I'll bet you both are going to have fun tables. Be sure to post your stories.

I like to have fun and consider myself quite a sociable person, but I must admit I sometimes sail close to the wind (Excuse the pun)when it comes to exhibiting my practical joke side.

On our last cruise with RCI we were on a dining table for 8 and amongst our fellow diners were 3 delightful American ladies in their golden years that were traveling together.

On the first evening they insisted on everyone introducing themselves, we consisted of a single woman again from the US who was a prison officer, a couple from the UK he a University Lecturer and his wife Accountant my wife a Secretary and for some unknown reason I pretended to be a Gynecologist

I realized my mistake when one of the ladies said in a very loud voice “He’s a Doctor that’s handy” Immediately I saw a number of people on adjoining tables looking at me with that “I’ve got an ache I’ve got a pain what do you suggest” look about them:eek: .

Feeling somewhat vulnerable and out of my depth and in order not to leave myself open to medical disclosures from total strangers I confessed to my deception.

The ice was broken and we had a truly enjoyable and light hearted 2 weeks together,

We crossed Eastbound in May in the Princess Grill. We had three formal nights on which I wore a dinner jacket (Tux) and my wife wore long dresses/evening trousers and top. I would say that 80% of the diners in the grill were in formal dress. The other 20% wore dark suits. The ladies were quite dressy.

Around the ship I would say about 50% were in formal dress. There were some dressed down but I saw no on in jeans etc in the evening.

During the day casual attire is ok and I wore long shorts on 2 days but it was too cold really.

On the informal nights I wore a blazer, tie and grey trousers and felt comfortable

On the casual night I wore a blazer without a tie.

Generally the ladies were quite smart.

Hope this helps.

Archived